Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Gay Rights in New Jersey
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Politics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
London

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each state has its own state laws and they are also governed by federal laws, which apply to all states. Marriage isn't listed in the Constitution as a federal power (at least it isn't until an amendment is made), so the states get to decide on their own whether or not they'll permit it. Each individual state can be quite different from other states. Some states have significantly more Republicans, some have more Democrats, some have more illegal immigrants, some have more bible thumping maniacs, some have lots of liberal tree hugging hippies, etc, so the laws in those states will be different from the laws in other states.
darksoul666
Very bored

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I think they should be more united and have the same laws
London

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would never happen.
darksoul666
Very bored

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And it's a real shame
London

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not, and nobody cares what a French person thinks about American government anyway, lol. Why is it so bad to have different laws? Demographics from state to state vary greatly, and each state should be able to make laws that appeal to the people in their state.

One of the reasons for the founding of this country was that the states (which were never all that united in the first place) didn't like some super power far away, Britain, to control whatever it was they wanted to do. By completely taking away all state powers and giving them to the federal government, how is that any different from their previous arrangement? The only change is that now that super power (possibly) far away is in Washington D. C. instead of England.
darksoul666
Very bored

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol I'm not french.I'm welsh but who cares? Smile
thedudedisturbed
Has No Life

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you saying your nationaltiy is irrelevant?
You probably recognize a pattern beginning to take shape. Not of the Fibonacci variety either, where said repetitions are woven into the very fabric of nature in some kind of cosmic mathematical coincidence that makes you wonder if there really is a design to everything after all, but more of Grandmother's quilt variety, where said repetition makes you wonder where in the world people can purchase such hideous floral pastel patterns and why they think you'll want to display them in your living room.
Fayore

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHY DO PEOPLE KEEP INSISTING ON MAKING SHORT POSTS THAT ARE IRRELEVANT TO THE TOPIC Dx

If you're gonna whine, you might as well add in something intelligent that we can discuss~ >=l

Anyway, it's true. Laws exist for the people and protection thereof. Each state has differing circumstances which mean that it will have different laws that are relevant to them. That's why the state and the feds have jurisdiction over different laws - Federal laws are laws that are important to everyone (ex, traffic laws) and should be kept the same, whereas state laws either add on to a federal law or are concerning something different entirely.

Municipalities also have their own "bylaws". It needs to be different. Take, for example, hunting. Hunting a certain animal in one state might be illegal because it's rare/endangered in that area. Why should another state have to follow the same law if they have an overabundance of that particular animal in their state?

If all laws were under federal jurisdiction, there really wouldn't be a need for states any more. :\

Canada and the US are really fucking big places. Law cannot be maintained through one level of government alone. Not at all.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
darksoul666
Very bored

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I guess that makes sence. It's just that we have been doing debates in my class and I was wondering if my argument had real depth. I feel like I know more about Federal law and such
CrimsinD
Newb

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um to those people who think "homosexuality" is the spawn of the devil. (or something like that)

If it doesn't affect your life why should you even care? It's not like just because gay marriage has been legalized mean that you'll have to attend a gay persons wedding or anything.

Whether or not that law exists, there will always be gay people TOGETHER. It's just now they can get married.....apart from that they probably do what heterosexual couples do......since like FOREVER?

So why would gay marriage being legalized be such a "Big" issue.

As long as it doesn't affect your life negatively....why should anyone care (as in making a big fuss out of it and saying its EW AND EVIL AND YUCKIE YUCK) O.o?
Xx_TheForgotten_xX
Very bored

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they recieve the right to marry, then that's cool.
If they don't, they'll keep fighting(well petitioning) for it regardless.

so honestely, who cares?

I have tons of Gay friends, they all go out from time to time to petition in sit ins, and various other activities, I've been to these as well, been to PFLAG events, etc, so I have no problem with the idea of a state accepting it.(I'm not gay myself, but I do have friends who are)

However, I personally am not one for marriage.
It doesn't interrest me in the least.
but oh well, I'm one perosn, my opinion is only as good as my status, which isn't too good, so yeah.

Oh, and a quick question that will probably bite me in the ass later, to you so caled christians: why the hell do you guys always make such a big deal out of this?
the Bible states "a man shall not lie with another man", that is basically saying "don't just lie there in bed, do something."
so yeah, last I checked, the Bible never once mentions that Gay's should cease to exist or cease to be able to practce their beliefs.

Rant,rant,rant, now commence with your pety yelling.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Politics All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: