Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Wii or PS3? Where's the hype?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Video games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Project_X
Still very bored

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Stratadrake"]...but not Okami. Because you can't compare realism style to a fantasy watercolor cel-shading style.[/quote]

oh boy...not many people use that style though for some reason. I think it's pretty!

Well you do have compettion ya know. Ultimate Spiderman, Avatar: The Last Airbender, Some of the add-ons for Unreal Tournament series. I mean Okami, when I first saw it I just fell in LOVE. (I gave up after seeing that urinating on somebody is an attack XP)
WizardoftheWood
Has No Life

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]Well lets see? What does the Wii have thats worth upgrading from the Gamecube. Hmm...?

1. Internal Memory (512 is the equivalent to well over 2000 blocks on Gamecube)
2. Smaller and sexier
3. Motion Sensing Controller
4. Wireless is standard
5. Roughly double the power
[/quote]

Wii = 1.5 times more powerful than gamecube
PS3= 40 times more powerful than Ps2

I'm not hating on the wii folks, I'm just distressed that graphically it's going to be such a weak machine.
anti_sk8r
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it matter? At what point do graphics get so good that they're practically obsolete as a reason to buy a video game console? I think that was last gen. I think we've gotten to the point where it's like "Ya. [insert PS2/Xbox stereotypical War Shooter here]'s graphics are awesome. But did you see that Wind Waker/Monkey Ball/Mario Sunshine/Any other Nintendo game that proved that graphics don't make the game?" Now take games like those and mix them with innovative gameplay. And sure, there are gonna be games that just won't be able to market without having a serious focus on graphics. Metroid Prime, Resident Evil and the like. But RE4's graphics. Simply beautiful and not bad even taken in comparison with today's standards. Now practically double those graphics and throw in new control mechanic with the Wiimote and you have a winning scheme there.

And most people forget about the DS. Sure, Nintendo could have upped the graphics in favor of a traditional gameplay style. But no. They gave us a whole new way to play and so far? DS is killing the PSP. Killing it. I'm nearly certain with the attention the Wii is getting that it will be the same deal.

NOT CHANGING THIS SIGNATURE UNTIL THE RELEASE OF NINTENDO WII!...wait. Its here? OMG! SWIIT!
Fayore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...Somehow, I really, really doubt it. Handhelds are not anywhere NEAR as similar as the consoles to even compare their situations. Nowhere at all.

Also, RE4 isn't really worth mentioning since it's not a Nintendo-exclusive title. Tales of Symphonia? The sales for the GC version were so bad, they ported the sucker to the PS2. :l I doubt [Bandai-]Namco's ever going to put a game like that back on a Nintendo console. The Wii's not going to get many RPGs either because Final Fantasy really sets the standard for RPGs now. And then there are other companies who make RPGs just for the Sony console just because they [i]know[/i] that since it's got FF, people who like RPGs will be on Sony's system. Therefore, sales go up.

Nintendo's really just geared toward party stuff. Since people (especially little kids) are always interested in having party games, it's doubtful it'll ever drop out of the competition.

But to actually say that it'll DOMINATE? That's just insane. Both the Playstation (2,3) and the XBox (360) have more versatile libraries of games. :l It's to the point that Nintendo's pretty much a "niche" interest now for people who want to try something else. And little kids.

Horrible, horrible third-party support. :\ And even if you don't think graphics matter, well - in your own interests you can like whatever you like, but in the majority of gamers, graphics are incredibly important. I know people who've grown up with the PS2/GC/XBox, and they refuse to play any games that've come before that generation just because they can't stand the graphics. As time progresses, the stress on having excellent graphics is just going to get more pressure. People will always be shallow like that.

I don't particularly care about the state of graphics (heck, I'm still buying PSX games!) but even I can admit to myself that any of the sprite games I like would probably more popular if they had graphics like something SE pumps out.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Stratadrake
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]Horrible, horrible third-party support.[/quote]
Nintendo lost much of its third-party support in the N64 era, because the other developers were all jumping ship to CD-ROM media on the PSX. GameCube had better third-party support than N64, and the Wii's unique control scheme currently has just about every 3rd party wanting to make something of it. The rest . . . just wait and see how it develops.
Strata here: [url=http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/242293]Nanowrimo[/url] - [url=www.fanart-central.net/user-Stratadrake.php]FAC[/url] - [url=http://stratadrake.deviantart.com]dA[/url] - [url=www.furaffinity.net/user/Stratadrake/]FA[/url]
[size=9]Disclaimer: Posts may contain URLs. Click [url=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TVTropesWillRuinYourLife]at your own risk.[/url][/size]

Last edited by Stratadrake on Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fayore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Stratadrake"][quote]Horrible, horrible third-party support.[/quote]
because they were all jumping ship to CD-ROM media on the PSX.[/quote]

Slightly off topic: Everyone always forgets about the Sega Dreamcast. D: That had awesome games for it! Just, most of them never made it over here. D: Then everyone who was on the Dreamcast just headed over to the PSX... o3o;
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
anti_sk8r
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]...Somehow, I really, really doubt it. Handhelds are not anywhere NEAR as similar as the consoles to even compare their situations. Nowhere at all.[/quote]
I wasn't comparing consoles to handhelds. Thats like comparing apples to oranges. What I was comparing was Nintendo's strategy to attack the market in a different way. Handheld game systems have been controlled virtually the same since the market began and it's the same with consoles. But Nintendo changed that with DS and the public ate it up. Now they're doing it with the Wii and so far? Wii is kicking ass. On Ebay (compare: Wii = 15000 sold, PS3 = 11000 sold) and in people's minds (check out the latest polls on GameFaqs). =P
[quote]Also, RE4 isn't really worth mentioning since it's not a Nintendo-exclusive title. Tales of Symphonia? The sales for the GC version were so bad, they ported the sucker to the PS2. :l I doubt [Bandai-]Namco's ever going to put a game like that back on a Nintendo console.[/quote]
Ok. RE4 might have been a bad example but you're surely joking about ToS. You do realize that it's a Players Choice title right? Selling well over 100000 copies in its first two weeks of sales in the US, right? And surely you know that it was ranked 32 on the best selling console games of 2003 (only on the Gamecube, not the PS2), beating out Mario & Luigi, Soul Calibur 2 and Ratchet and .Clank 2, right? Ya. You must have been joking.
[quote]The Wii's not going to get many RPGs either because Final Fantasy really sets the standard for RPGs now. And then there are other companies who make RPGs just for the Sony console just because they know that since it's got FF, people who like RPGs will be on Sony's system. Therefore, sales go up.[/quote]
Well, duh. Nintendo's got a lot of work to do before they can just go and clean up there poor act of RPGs from last gen. But to humor you, i'll check out what Wii is packing RPG-wise, anywho. Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, Dragon Quest: Swords, Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles 2, Super Paper Mario, Sword of Legendia and some yet to be named from Koei (makers of Dynasty Warriors) and Monolith (makers of Xenosaga and Baten Kaitos). Hmm. Now lets take a gander at what PS3 has planned. Two unheard-of's from Atlus and the like and FF13....I'd take Crystal Chronicles 2 with it's innovative hack and slash and likable storyline ALONE over another generic Final Fantasy title. Which, lets face it, is probably all the PS3 is gonna amount to RPG wise.

[quote]Nintendo's really just geared toward party stuff. Since people (especially little kids) are always interested in having party games, it's doubtful it'll ever drop out of the competition.[/quote]
Now I know you're joking. Being innovative and having fun? That's what video games are all about in the first place! Red Steel is by no means a kid's game. Just because you have fun playing a game doesn't mean it's a kid game or a party game. Nintendo isn't any more childish than Sony or Microsoft. But instead of selling overpriced video game consoles, Nintendo wants you to buy a cheap one and lots of fun games! They don't care what the game is about or what age group it pertains to. If you're having a good time playing their games than they're happy selling em.
[quote]But to actually say that it'll DOMINATE? That's just insane. Both the Playstation (2,3) and the XBox (360) have more versatile libraries of games. :l It's to the point that Nintendo's pretty much a "niche" interest now for people who want to try something else. And little kids.[/quote]
Fail. Goddamn. I hate how you didn't bother to check your facts before this post! >< Go and look at all the games that are being developed for PS3 and Xbox 360 at Wikipedia. Now. Because if you had you would have realized that roughly 60% of them are shooters. Now look at Wii's developed or developing games. Nuff said.
[quote]Horrible, horrible third-party support. :\ And even if you don't think graphics matter, well - in your own interests you can like whatever you like, but in the majority of gamers, graphics are incredibly important. I know people who've grown up with the PS2/GC/XBox, and they refuse to play any games that've come before that generation just because they can't stand the graphics. As time progresses, the stress on having excellent graphics is just going to get more pressure. People will always be shallow like that.[/quote]
OMFG. [i] There are many original titles for it as well as many expected third party games. Ubisoft has upped their number of titles in development for the console to 14 (eight of which are to be launch games and only three of which were previously known about),[81] while Midway Games has announced they have six titles in development,[82] and EA has recently increased their development efforts for the console, declaring they are going to support it '100%'.[83][/i]
[quote]I don't particularly care about the state of graphics (heck, I'm still buying PSX games!) but even I can admit to myself that any of the sprite games I like would probably more popular if they had graphics like something SE pumps out.[/quote]
Any fucking retard can admit that graphics can make things more popular or better. Bt if I had an option of whether to dispose of the innovative gameplay in favor of "next-gen" graphics? You'd hafta be stupid to pick the graphics...
And i'm slowly losing faith in the video game boards. Can we have a discussion where people go and check wikipedia (at least?) before they say stuff?

NOT CHANGING THIS SIGNATURE UNTIL THE RELEASE OF NINTENDO WII!...wait. Its here? OMG! SWIIT!
Stratadrake
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]Thats like comparing apples to oranges.[/quote]
Apples and oranges:
- Are both fruits, and sweet in taste
- Are similar sizes and weights
- May be eaten directly or squeezed into juice
- Are often stored as concentrate to be made into juice later
- [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apples_and_oranges[/url]

[quote]But to humor you, i'll check out what Wii is packing RPG-wise, anywho. Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, Dragon Quest: Swords, Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles 2, Super Paper Mario....[/quote]
Super Paper Mario is actually an action/platforming game, not an action/RPG.

[quote]Nintendo isn't any more childish than Sony or Microsoft.[/quote]
Amen. And remember, Nintendo's been in this market longer than either Sony [i]or[/i] Microsoft. They make games for all audiences (you certainly can't call the Metroid series "kiddy"), they just [i]specialize[/i] in games with . . . for lack of a better term, the "kid" appeal. Pokmon appeals to kids, but it was one of the Game Boy's killer apps. And Mario is still a top-class platformer.

[quote]You'd hafta be stupid to pick the graphics...[/quote]
In case you didn't notice what else Fayore said, a large portion of the videogaming market both is and does. Pretty pictures sell, it's as simple as that.
Strata here: [url=http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/242293]Nanowrimo[/url] - [url=www.fanart-central.net/user-Stratadrake.php]FAC[/url] - [url=http://stratadrake.deviantart.com]dA[/url] - [url=www.furaffinity.net/user/Stratadrake/]FA[/url]
[size=9]Disclaimer: Posts may contain URLs. Click [url=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TVTropesWillRuinYourLife]at your own risk.[/url][/size]
zakuman
Still very bored

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What planet is anti-s8tr from?

Anyway, I think we all need to think on different terms here. Different things appeal to different folks. But lets not be too baised.

What should the next gen provide? In my opinion, I think it's all about online play. Nothings better than challenging, or playing alongside anybody from anywhere (for the most part). And Microsoft has a very solid unified online community. You can have a gamertag that becomes your online identity in anygame. And there's always been voice chat only. No cumbersome keyboard to slow down your socializing. Now they have xboxlive arcade, downloadable demos, game trailers, and other goodies related to the games on the system (Like themes and whatnot). The also have an achievement system, which gives you kudos for completing certain tasks in games. Which to some folks becomes bragging rights. But it definately adds to the game. Gives you a reason to play some games to their fullest. Anyway it'd take me two pages to fully explain how well built xbox live is... to someone who hasn't experienced it.

But to me, if Sony or Nintendo want to get my attention. They HAVE to make an attempt a bringing their stuff online and making it somewhat linear compared to microsoft's set up. To my knowledge Sony has a fair ammount of plans for online. But all I know about the Wii is the vitual console. I don't want an online service, to just piss away cash on vintage nintendo games. I keep all my old systems, I'd rather just bust one of those out. And I haven't seen a headset for the Wii. So if somebody knows about Wii online play, feel free to fill me in.

I hear the graphics gripe a lot. I'll let you know why consumers want them. Folks tend to like it when games can mimick reality. And I'm a racing fan. So... yeah, the prettier the rides, the happier I am. I'll never own a Ferrari, but if I can play a game with graphics that look like the real deal...and simulate the physics of the car. Then I least get a little taste of that fantasy. And games are all about getting away from reality too. And a good way to do that, is to be submerged into fictional reality.

As for the pricing, Microsoft and Sony are not ripping anybody off on the consoles themselves. They're both selling the systems at a loss. I don't know about the Wii there though.

Anyway, if you're all about the Wii get it, enjoy it. And end the arguement there. Cause I think that's the bottom line. Get which system best suits you, and try not to spout off biased banter(I know I've done so... and regreted it). Listen to Fayore and Strata, they seem to be very knowledgable and not so opinionated.

(I hope this post makes sense... I'm up way past my bedtime... Confused )
anti_sk8r
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]Apples and oranges:
- Are both fruits, and sweet in taste
- Are similar sizes and weights
- May be eaten directly or squeezed into juice
- Are often stored as concentrate to be made into juice later
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apples_and_oranges[/quote]
lol ok. w.e But you get what I mean.
[quote]Super Paper Mario is actually an action/platforming game, not an action/RPG.[/quote]
[i]2D/3D sidescrolling platformer with RPG elements[/i]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Paper_Mario
[quote]In case you didn't notice what else Fayore said, a large portion of the videogaming market both is and does. Pretty pictures sell, it's as simple as that.[/quote]
True. But as we can see with the success of the Wii, pretty pictures don't have to matter if the gameplay more than makes up for it. Simple as that.

anti_sk8r
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Zakuman:
[quote]What planet is anti-s8tr from?[/quote]
The planet where we spell people's usernames right?
[quote]What should the next gen provide? In my opinion, I think it's all about online play. Nothings better than challenging, or playing alongside anybody from anywhere (for the most part). [/quote]
I understand where you're coming from but I beg to differ. I think the last-gen was the generation of online play. When it really exploded. But now, we have everything doing online play. From our PCs to our cellphones. Online play won't define this generation like it did the last one. By now, it should just be a bullet-point on the back of our boxes.
[quote]all I know about the Wii is the vitual console. I don't want an online service, to just piss away cash on vintage nintendo games. I keep all my old systems, I'd rather just bust one of those out. And I haven't seen a headset for the Wii. So if somebody knows about Wii online play, feel free to fill me in.[/quote]
I have to agree here. Wii isn't seeing much of a glance at online play. Especially considering it's putting a lot of emphasis on unity and playing together. Nintendo is doing great with the DS, though. We've got a fair number of online titles and quite a few to come on the DS. I think the major achievement of Nintendo, online play-wise, is how simple it is. Look for a router. Find one. Connect. Play. It's that goddamn simple. No wires. No payment plans. Just play.
[quote]I hear the graphics gripe a lot. I'll let you know why consumers want them. Folks tend to like it when games can mimick reality. And I'm a racing fan. So... yeah, the prettier the rides, the happier I am. I'll never own a Ferrari, but if I can play a game with graphics that look like the real deal...and simulate the physics of the car. Then I least get a little taste of that fantasy. And games are all about getting away from reality too. And a good way to do that, is to be submerged into fictional reality.[/quote]So when you play Wind Waker you don't get wisked away from reality? I sure did. If a game is fun than it won't matter how beautiful your graphics are. Otherwise I wouldn't even bother with Wii, but I played Wii Sports and now i'm 100% sure it'll be very hard for me to go back to playing with a regular controller. No matter how great the graphics are.
[quote]As for the pricing, Microsoft and Sony are not ripping anybody off on the consoles themselves. They're both selling the systems at a loss. I don't know about the Wii there though.[/quote]
Never said they were ripping people off. But it doesn't matter that they're selling at a loss. If you're paying $500 for an Xbox with better graphics and you're happy than thats fine. Me? I'd rather pay half that for a Gamecube with slightly better graphics and a cool new control scheme. =P
[quote]Anyway, if you're all about the Wii get it, enjoy it. And end the arguement there. Cause I think that's the bottom line. Get which system best suits you, and try not to spout off biased banter(I know I've done so... and regreted it). Listen to Fayore and Strata, they seem to be very knowledgable and not so opinionated.[/quote]
I'm not new to the forums. I know that Fayore and Strata are both very intelligent people and i've been owned in discussions many times by both of em. We all love video games. Fayore = an RPG enthusiast, Strata = ...Strata, you seem very hyped on Xbox 360 and online play, and i'm passionate about Nintendo and the direction they're going. I was going to ditch my DS in favor of a PSP. Than I played it and I realized how much more fun I was having with the DS. I played the PS3 at EB. I put it down soon after and went and played the Wii for the rest of the time because it was more enjoyable. Graphics may be an equal factor to BUY a game but gameplay is a more important factor to PLAY a game.

Rikuchan
Has No Life

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]gameplay is a more important factor to PLAY a game.[/quote]

I agree. Every game that I own, was purchased based on that factor alone. If I'm gonna spend money on a game, I want to be able to enjoy it for a long time.
anti_sk8r
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]I agree. Every game that I own, was purchased based on that factor alone. If I'm gonna spend money on a game, I want to be able to enjoy it for a long time.[/quote]
Exactly. It's great that the graphics are awesome and it runs at a silky smooth frame rate. I'm all for that. But whats the point if you're just gonna get bored five minutes in?

Rikuchan
Has No Life

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good example of gameplay over grafics is Legend of Zelda Wind Waker. At first I was kinda uncomfortable w/ Link's new look. But later on, my sister insisted that I rent it, so we did. After starting my own file, I was hooked.
Fayore

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wikipedia is shitty. :D It's good for general knowledge, but tends to be iffy on specifics simply because it's an open project where anyone can edit it. My old AP psych teacher hates that site because a lot of people pass rumours off as truth. 8D;

Ya know what. I don't even want to bother reply to half the drivel you mentioned since it's very evident that you're biased in favour of the Wii, and are basing all your arguments around your bias. Oh, and the PS3 bashing. At least I'm not going around with my cock hanging out of my pants whining about how the Wii's gonna suck. I haven't said that once; I actually do bring up good points about the Wii when I compare the two.

...I can't let this go because I'm just as much of a cunt when it comes to video games as Fallen is when it comes to music. And it pisses me off when people try to pass off opinion as fact.

Let's start with that "Nintendo is childish" comment: I never said that they were childish. What I DID say was that Nintendo appeals to younger kids more than the other audiences simply because kids like interactive games, partially because their brains are still developing very rapidly. You don't give 200 page novels to little kids if you want them to learn, you give them picture books. Nintendo's got the picture books and Sony and Microsoft have the novels. Simple as that.

Not only that, but Nintendo's products tend to be more durable. Parents don't want to buy their kid a $200 PSP when they're just going to ruin it anyway, so they settle with the cheaper $150 DS. Since when do kids buy their own games with their own hard-earned money, anyway? The people who buy PSPs are the people who have jobs - probably older people who would appreciate it more than the kid who's gonna have it stolen at school.

Also. The DS is a HANDHELD. People play handheld games to pass the time in a car ride. During school lunch hours. When they have to go places. Basically, anywhere they can't bring a console - which generally tends to be places where they can't park themselves down for a good 1-and-a-half hours just playing video games.

What can you play on-the-go? Certainly not a 40-hour RPG, lemme tell you that. That's where the DS strikes again - the PSP has been working on that, but it's not like people care. The people who are attracted to Sony products are the people who are satisfied with hours and hours of gameplay. But for the other people who just want a handheld because they want something to do on the bus? DS is there. It's not something so simple as "It's innovative! That must be why it's selling better!"

As for the price of the Wii versus the PS3? I like to think of the Wii as an inkjet printer, and the PS3/360 as a laser printer. The laser printer is more expensive, yeah. But the mere fact that every now and then you have to buy ink cartridges if you want to use your inkjet? Way to go, Wiimote!

We'll see which one gets more expensive in the long run: shelling out $500+- now for a PS3? Or paying $300+- for a Wii and then buying all those gadgety things for the Wiimote later on? Or maybe an additional $500+- if you randomly decide you want a Blu-ray player later, or an HD-DVD player? Afterall - ten years ago only the wealthy had DVD players. Now DVDs are so common, just about everyone has a player for them.

THAT is what Zakuman meant when he said that Sony and Microsoft are selling their systems at a loss. We're not just talking about stuff relating to games - the prices for the 360 and the PS3 also take into consideration all the extra stuff they have, as well. Paying well over a grand for a Blu-ray player and an HD-DVD player? Why not just pay $500 for the PS3 that can play both?

Ahem.

eBay: Little do the denizens of FAC realize that Fayore practically LIVES on eBay, being the irritating little import gamer she is (can't talk about video games without mentioning a game no one in the States have ever heard of, dammit). So. Why are Wiis selling more than PS3s?

1. At launch the PS3 had far less units to begin with. We already know that. Hence,
2. Supply and demand. Less supply with high demand = $$ goes WAY up. Which means,
3. Who actually has the money to purchase a $5000 console off eBay? I'm not rich; I only work part-time. I'm thinking that $1000 Wii is a lot more affordable.

How many people have played the Wii versus the PS3? I dunno, but I've seen Wii demos in the malls around here, but none for the PS3. How many people, then, would feel that the Wii is enjoyable, even when they haven't purchased it?

The people at Sony are cocks, were cocks, and always will be cocks. They probably figure that people'll eventually fork over their cash before trying out the system, and for the most part - they're right. But sooner or later they'll realize that it might be handy for them to set up demos, too.

Also, everyone knows that the PS3's launch titles suck, period. The Wii has Twilight Princess, those sports games, some other weird jizzy stuff, etc. Who's gonna buy a console when it doesn't have any games they'll want to play on it? But watch out: The current state of the PS3's ass-sucking library isn't going to last. At all.

(Which kinda makes you wonder: why does the PS3 have such crappy launch titles, anyway? Hmm, I dunno: maybe game developers are trying to take advantage of the PS3's new graphics engine, which is a hella shiny from the screenshots I've seen. And as we all know, even crappy graphics take a lot of time to make. So what happens when you up the amp? oshit!! It's going to take ages and ages and ages to do? Well, let's not release news of the project to the public, 'cause then they'll start asking those goddamn questions like "when the fuck is this game gonna be out!??")

Speaking of game libraries, I'll say it again: Sony has a more versatile library of games. The XBox has a slightly-less-versatile-but-still-versatile-all-the-same library. I wasn't talking specifically about the PS3 when I mentioned game libraries. Notice how I put "2,3" in little brackets? The PS2 has the biggest library. Period. They've got games from just about EVERY genre, most prominent being RPGs. They even have games from non-genres (unless "crazy drug-induced Japanese games" is a genre now - thanks, Katamari Damacy). Nintendo's well known for having the interactive party games, and it's still trying to dig its way out of that.

So yah, summary: Don't go comparing marketing strategies when you can't even scratch the surface past whatever you've read off Wikipedia.

Oh, right: I wasn't joking about ToS. Only the GC version made it to NA; the PS2 version was only released in Japan. I gurantee that if both versions were released in NA, though, the PS2 copies would be more popular simply because there's mroe people who play RPGs on the PS2. Also, the PS2 version has a lot of bonus stuff in it. Almost like Namco was trying to apologize for not putting it on the PS2 in the first place, lol.

But, who knows? I touched my copy of ToS one whole time, and then decided that Tales of Rebirth was a better Tales game to waste my time with.

Also, get off Wikipedia. Quoting Wikipedia is like playing a game of Grapevine or something lame like that.

blahblahdick </iratetirade>
anti_sk8r
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had written out a whole, long post to Fayore's comment. Than my browser crashed. Crying or Very sad Therefore, I leave you with this:
[url]http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-9136575504838642038[/url]
Wink

Stratadrake
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]Wikipedia is s**tty. Very Happy It's good for general knowledge, but tends to be iffy on specifics simply because it's an open project where anyone can edit it. My old AP psych teacher hates that site because a lot of people pass rumours off as truth. 8D;[/quote]
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia

[quote]What should the next gen provide? In my opinion, I think it's all about online play.[/quote]
Online play still doesn't beat good old-fashioned multiplayer. It certainly has its appeal, but Friends lists and chat functions simply don't compare to the other person actually [i]being[/i] there with you.

[quote]Strata = ...Strata, you seem very hyped on Xbox 360 and online play,[/quote]
. . . A comment like that couldn't possibly be directed at me....

[quote]Graphics may be an equal factor to BUY a game but gameplay is a more important factor to PLAY a game.[/quote]
Case in point: That Gundam game for the PS3. The mechs themselves are rightly detailed, but c'mon, 10-15 frames per second instead of 30? That wouldn't even be acceptable on the PS1, let alone Sony's next-gen number cruncher.

[quote]Nintendo's got the picture books and Sony and Microsoft have the novels. Simple as that.[/quote]
That's precisely why some people bash Nintendo as being kiddy, because the only novels they seem to remember are the ones coming from Sony or Microsoft, they forget that Nintendo has a few "novels" of its own. A 'select' few, perhaps, but a [i]good[/i] few nonetheless.

[quote]What can you play on-the-go? Certainly not a 40-hour RPG, lemme tell you that.[/quote]
And don't forget, pausing a DS game is as easy as closing the shell. You can do that in a heartbeat, no need to access any menus for that special "sleep" command, it's built right in.

[quote]THAT is what Zakuman meant when he said that Sony and Microsoft are selling their systems at a loss.[/quote]
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Razor_and_blades_business_model

Sony and Microsoft are selling their consoles for less money than it took their factories to manufacture one. They're [i]losing[/i] money on every PS3 and 360 sold, though obviously not as much as they'd lose if the consoles [i]didn't[/i] sell, and they turn enough of a profit on the games (etc.) to make the hardware-related expenses budgetable.

[quote]The people at Sony are cocks, were cocks, and always will be cocks.[/quote]
Even the [i]developers[/i] are saying that. (Gossiping, but...)

[quote]Speaking of game libraries, I'll say it again: Sony has a more versatile library of games.[/quote]
True, because of sheer numbers. There's simply more of each to go around.
WizardoftheWood
Has No Life

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn.
I went to my local retailers to see if they had any Wii's, on Friday , and they were all sold out. They said they had some in that morning and I knew more units were being shipped in on thursday and friday. I asked the clerk at future shop and he said they'll have some more in a few weeks.
zakuman
Still very bored

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I throw a little fresh blood into the mix? Cause I think it's important to me. Although I do like the occasional franchise game, I think the longer a company is around the more sequels it makes (naturally). But after 2 or 3... I pretty much stop caring. Which is one of the reasons I knock nintendo so much. I like Metroid, but... I think I'm done with it. I know for a fact that the Wii Metroid will have the same exact mold. Which frustrates the hell out me. Cause I think they could bust that game wide f*$king open.

Anyway, I'll get to the point. Nintendo's big games will be smash bros, zelda, mario in space... and handful of others. But I've pretty much played my share of those games.

PS3 will have MGS4, DMC4, RE5, FF13-15?, GT HD-GT5. All titles I don't care for. But with all the support they get, they will manage to have a little fresh blood. It's just the big titles I'm not sold on at the moment. But Fall of man does look sweet, and is a fresh title.

360, Halo 3 (which I was hoping would be the final game in the series, but they're making Halo wars. On plus side that's going to be an RTS though). I think that's the only major franchise title they have in the vault. The rest of the big exclusives are new titles. Gears of War, Viva Pinata, Mass Effect, Too Human, Lost Planet, Blue Dragon, Forza 2, Bio Shock.

This is just me though. I like new titles for the most part. And I still favor Microsoft at the moment. I know I will feel sore when Fumito Ueda makes a game for the PS3 though. Hopefully that won't be for a long time though.

[quote]Online play still doesn't beat good old-fashioned multiplayer. It certainly has its appeal, but Friends lists and chat functions simply don't compare to the other person actually being there with you.[/quote]

Well there's a bit more to it than that. I've had system link (or lan) parties plenty of times with my xbox, with Halo, PGR 2, and some Crimson Skies. All good ol' fashioned multiplayer, only kicked up a notch.

And I'm seeing a whole lot more of the co-op option too. So if you've got buddies that wanna play at your house, rather than online. That's covered too.

But often times it's hard to bring all those people together, and that's when the online comes in. But online play isn't for everybody. I was just stateing that, to me, I think it's a key factor in the next battle. Especially with all the options and content. Oblivion, and Kameo have had a fair share of downloadable content, and those are solo games. So online can even benefit games that were meant to be played alone.
WizardoftheWood
Has No Life

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I agree. Nintendo is going to milk their mascots again. We're going to see a mario game, metroid, mario kart, super smash bros. and all of the nintendo sports games again, like golf, mario tennis etc. Pokemon stadium and animal crossing are also appearing again.

Nintendo is already winning big with the Wii though. 600, 000 units have been sold and nintendo is aiming at putting out 400,000 more units by the end of the year. I expect these to sell out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Video games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: