Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Wii or PS3? Where's the hype?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Video games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LouHoo
Newb

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the entire purpose of playing a video game is to sit on your ass, not swining a remote around, that's just silly. unless you get the normal control pad, but the wii is still not worth getting.
unfocused

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you couldn't know that unless you have gotten one...
anti_sk8r
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote] I like Metroid, but... I think I'm done with it. I know for a fact that the Wii Metroid will have the same exact mold.[/quote]
Duh. Just like fairly every other succesful series. Nearly all Final Fantasy's (save for CC) = almost the exact same mold. Halo 1, 2 and 3 = almost the exact same mold. Metal Gear Solid = almost the exact same mold.

Video games usually go for the motto: If it's not broken (and sells well), why fix it? It's always a risk to change a succesful franchise. Take Sonic the Hedgehog. When it first took the leap from 2D to 3D it was met with poor reviews and most didn't like it. Thankfully, they learned from their mistakes and now we're getting great 3D Sonic titles like the latest for 360 and soon the one for Wii. That's why we need to change up things once in awhile. How else will the industry move forward and improve?

Back to Nintendo -----> Atleast with Nintendo's big titles they realized that they could take the risk to make it that much better with Wiimote control. Was it a change for the better with Zelda? That's up to you to decide. But most people have agreed it was a worthwhile adjustment. Personally, i'm looking forward to see if it's the same deal with Metroid Prime 3.

[quote]Nintendo's big games will be smash bros, zelda, mario in space... and handful of others. But I've pretty much played my share of those games.[/quote]

Nintendo's big games. By this I assume you mean only 1st party titles. That's just as easy to predict as Sony's and Microsoft's. But you're leaving out the 3rd party titles especially with the looks Nintendo is getting from 3rd party companies. Case in point: Rayman: Raving Rabbits by Ubisoft. Doing amazingly well and reviewers just can't get enough of it. It's already showcasing an IGN Choice Award. If the trend catches on, I think Wii will see a lot of these 3rd party hits in its life time and maybe we won't look at Nintendo as just "Pokemon, Mario, Zelda and Metroid" anymore.

NOT CHANGING THIS SIGNATURE UNTIL THE RELEASE OF NINTENDO WII!...wait. Its here? OMG! SWIIT!
Stratadrake
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]Nintendo is going to milk their mascots again.[/quote]
You say that as if "milk" is a four-letter word. Rolling Eyes

That's the thing about a successful series, is that depending on the competition they CAN'T just leave it the same. There are certain staples that need to be met in order to recognize the next piece as part of the series, and at the same time there needs to be a dose of new features to make it feel like a new game and not just the same thing all over again.

Sometimes the new features are more technical, but usually they deal with gameplay. You certainly can't say that on a gameplay level, FFXII is cut from the same mold as other Final Fantasies.
Strata here: [url=http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/242293]Nanowrimo[/url] - [url=www.fanart-central.net/user-Stratadrake.php]FAC[/url] - [url=http://stratadrake.deviantart.com]dA[/url] - [url=www.furaffinity.net/user/Stratadrake/]FA[/url]
[size=9]Disclaimer: Posts may contain URLs. Click [url=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TVTropesWillRuinYourLife]at your own risk.[/url][/size]
anti_sk8r
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]You certainly can't say that on a gameplay level, FFXII is cut from the same mold as other Final Fantasies.[/quote]
The differences are obvious but you're not gonna look at it and think for a second it isn't Final Fantasy. Personally, I think thats wicked. I like it where the gameplay changes but the style remains true to the series.

NOT CHANGING THIS SIGNATURE UNTIL THE RELEASE OF NINTENDO WII!...wait. Its here? OMG! SWIIT!
Stratadrake
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said, there are certain staples that need to be maintained to recognize the next game in a series as being a part of that series.
Strata here: [url=http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/242293]Nanowrimo[/url] - [url=www.fanart-central.net/user-Stratadrake.php]FAC[/url] - [url=http://stratadrake.deviantart.com]dA[/url] - [url=www.furaffinity.net/user/Stratadrake/]FA[/url]
[size=9]Disclaimer: Posts may contain URLs. Click [url=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TVTropesWillRuinYourLife]at your own risk.[/url][/size]
SilentSoul92
Elder In Training

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahaha...damn, I'm really behind. I'm still back tracking and buying all the PSX and dreamcast games I never got around to playing XD XD I don't plan on even touching a Wii, PS3, 360 whatever for another two years at least ><

Although I won't take sides, I do think that the Nintendo is usually geared towards younger children, although I'm not going for anything definitive. Heck, I still love pokemon and I'm turning 15 soon ^_^ And I doubt Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem could ever, ever, be good for a 10 year old's psyche, unless their trying to destroy their sanity and rational parts of their brain...then maybe. (I was shouting and screaming and hiding under a pillow for most of that game, and I'm probably not even past the second character, can't remember)

However, I'm looking at the PS3 and I have to say, I don't see any games I particularly want. In actuallity, all the games I want are either for PS2, or dreamcast -_-... As for Xbox, well the only game I ever used it for was Fable, so I don't think I'm getting a 360 ever.

In response to the thread's title, the hype is probably all in advertising, your friends, and the internet. Really, I haven't seen that many commercials on the TV so I'm guessing friends and Internet really supports most of it.

Without mobbing anyone, I'm going to take Fayore's side in her opinion that Nintendo really did lose a bunch of its third-party support during the 64. However, I'm going to agree with Anti-sk8tr about the fact that Nintendo has been around longer and is very versitile (sp?).

This thread is getting really competative, isn't it ^_^;;
anti_sk8r
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]I do think that the Nintendo is usually geared towards younger children[/quote]Well, yeah. Some people think that way. However, I prefer to think of it as geared towards everyone. Smile

Usually because they're lighthearted, easy to pick up and play, and emphasize fun. People call that geared toward children because society views things like that as immature or childish. Meanwhile GTA and other M rated titles represent a more hardcore, violent, gritty world that people often refer to when they think of adulthood. Is that wrong? Nope.

However, I prefer to think of Ninrendo's titles as geared towards everyone. Very Happy Those features that Nintendo often displays are, when you think back to games like Pong, what started the industry in the first place. =P
[quote]This thread is getting really competative, isn't it ^_^;;[/quote]Nah. You might think that, but it gets way worse than this on other boards. Actually, this thread went surprisingly well. The thing is we could keep 1-upping each other for weeks, especially about such a broad topic as video games. I'm kinda happy my last post didn't go through because you always feel compelled to reply and reply and so on. It's nice to move on with the thread. Very Happy

Stratadrake
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]Usually because they're lighthearted, easy to pick up and play, and emphasize fun. People call that geared toward children because society views things like that as immature or childish.[/quote]
Amen.

[quote]Meanwhile GTA and other M rated titles represent a more hardcore, violent, gritty world that people often refer to when they think of adulthood. Is that wrong? Nope.[/quote]
...but Stereotype? Clich? Guilty as charged, to the chopping block with 'em!

[quote]Those features that Nintendo often displays are, when you think back to games like Pong, what started the industry in the first place. =P[/quote]
...back when console gaming was something that everyone in the family could jump in and do, instead of being the isolated interest it is now. That's precisely the sort of thinking that went into the Wii's development, attracting people who haven't played games before, or haven't played games in a long time.

I find the Wii's remote/nunchuk combination to be quite relaxing, actually. Even without the motion sensing, you don't have to cramp your hands together around six inches of controller width, you can rest your arms in casual positions.
anti_sk8r
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]I find the Wii's remote/nunchuk combination to be quite relaxing, actually. Even without the motion sensing, you don't have to cramp your hands together around six inches of controller width, you can rest your arms in casual positions.[/quote]
Exactly. I also find that when I'm playing the Wii for an hour straight at my friend's place, unlike traditional controlling consoles, I'm still as excited as I was when I turned the system on. Probably because it feels like I'm immersed in something. I think Nintendo also got it right when they called it Wii as it really does feel like an extroverted console. Even with a game like Resident Evil, you'll probably be sitting in the dark in the living room with a couple of friends rather than alone in your dimly lit room.

AMnezcorp

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nintendo will emerge as the victor with the Wii.Then some PS3/XBOX360 fan will respond by saying
"says who?"

Then some sceptics would say Wii will be the downfall of Nintendo and so on and so forth.

This also applies to the other consoles.This kind of fanboyism gives us gamers a bad name.
anti_sk8r
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]This kind of fanboyism gives us gamers a bad name.[/quote]
A bad name? Not really. More like a name in general. People are labeled to make a statement about their opinions and beliefs without actually having to say anything Simple. Calling yourself a Sony fan boy is just easier than having to explain who you think is going to "win" the next generation and stuff.

gamefox120
Very bored

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you Finally get it

funny

seems like the other day you were cussing over my picture
and dissing Nintendo and Sony

trying to make your self sound smart amongst all those who commented

you're just as I thought zakuman a flocker

a Fad gamer

I have been set for the Wii ever since it was named the Reveloution so
as My picture said

XBOX SUCKS!!!

good night
anti_sk8r
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..me? >.>

HerculesRockefeller

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]So you Finally get it

funny

seems like the other day you were cussing over my picture
and dissing Nintendo and Sony

trying to make your self sound smart amongst all those who commented

you're just as I thought zakuman a flocker

a Fad gamer

I have been set for the Wii ever since it was named the Reveloution so
as My picture said

XBOX SUCKS!!!

good night[/quote]

First of all, go eat a bag of dicks.

Xbox hardly "sucks". It has Oblivion, which Wii can never have. In my personal opinion, Oblivion is the best game on the market. There are three things Wii has going for it, Interesting control scheme, price, and Zelda.

Of the current consoles, Wii is the one with the fewest games that I am looking forward too. PS3 has Devil May Cry 4, Metal Gear Solid 4, Resident Evil 4, and Assasin's Creed. Xbox 360 has Halo 3, Assasin's Creed, Dynasty Warriors 5, and Armored core 4.

Wii has nothing coming out until Super Smash Brothers Brawl, from what I have seen. Admitedly, it did have both Trauma Center 2, and Zelda upon release, but after that, there is nothing on it's coming games list that looks like anything but your typical filler game.
Stratadrake
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]In my personal opinion, Oblivion is the best game on the market.[/quote]
My personal opinion can beat up your personal opinion . . . Okami owns. Wink

I don't look forward to many games these days whatsoever. And as far as the things I have seen which look interesting, I've seen a whopping zero of them in development for the PS3. There's no possible justification for that half-a-silver price tag until I see some games that I want.
HerculesRockefeller

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote][quote]In my personal opinion, Oblivion is the best game on the market.[/quote]
My personal opinion can beat up your personal opinion . . . Okami owns. Wink[/quote]

Apparently it didn't own enough to prevent Clover from getting shut down. Wink

But that's neither here nor there. I love Oblivion due to the mass appeal and size of the game. The game has the open-endedness of the Grand Theft Auto sereis, but with the ability to be good or bad (or both) instead of just bad. Size-wise, I've put 250 or so hours of my life into this game, wheras Okami, I put a mere hour and a half so far.
Fayore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Stratadrake"][quote]In my personal opinion, Oblivion is the best game on the market.[/quote]
My personal opinion can beat up your personal opinion . . . Okami owns. Wink[/quote]
Okami was fun, but the text always scrolled so slowly and the talking pretty much just consisted of, as Brad put it, ASLKJFNSDHNLKGN; ASJKHDFNKDJSNG. o_o; Which I wouldn't have minded so much if the text would scroll faster - it's not as if you need to hear some nonsense babble. o_o;

The art was ace, though. <3 Which was pretty much the only reason I bought it, haha.

Anyway. PS3... Tyler already mentioned a lot of interesting titles. FFXIII looks pretty hot, though (the main character is a chick, omgwuh? boobies? 8O)~ And you know that most of the developers who were with Sony will still be with Sony, even if you don't hear about any developments (eg, Konami with their Silent Hill, Namco (with pretty much everything o_o), NIS, etc etc).

I'll probably be sticking with my PS2 for a while yet - there are still loads of video games being developed for it. \*V*/ also possibly because i'm irresponsible with my money and couldn't dream of saving up for a ps3

Back when the PS2 came out, it too had a rather large price tag... but in the end, it turned out to be massively popular. So it's pretty much a game of waiting now. Sooner or later, the PS3 will come down to a moderately-comfortable price (especially because technology is always getting more advanced) and there will be a lot of games for it. Simple, really. Like the PS2 vs the GC. In the GC's entire run, I've never seen any games I wanted to play on it except for ToS (which got ported to the PS2 anyway, so it doesn't really count), Animal Crossing, and that Pokemon game... and Twilight Princess, but that didn't happen until AFTER the end of GC's run, haha. T_T I'm sure the PS2 didn't start out too well, either. lol dark cloud. But then FFX happened and shit went down. And the XBox had Halo, for all the people who like gunning down other people online. (lol CS)

I think since that was how it went with the GC/PS2/XBox, Nintendo did the funky thing with the wiimote. Now all that's left to see is how developers will utilize the wiimote. I'm sure not interested in moving around while I play (even the PS2's, uh, camera thing + DDR weird me out) so that's why I'll stick with Sony - I suppose it all comes down to what you're comfortable with/interested in.

Summary: Sony and Microsoft are still milking the tried and true "gamers are lazy fucks and don't like to move when they're playing games" audience though Sony is starting to spread their giant fist into other territories (lol motion sensor controller). Nintendo, deciding that their old approach isn't working, is foraging into new territories (the ordinarily non-gamers who may just be converted + kids). blahblahwhowillwin!?blahblah etc i talk too much etc

Though in the end, this'll probably turn out the same way the PS2/XBox/GC gen did - the first two dominating in general while the latter has extreme [niche] fan support. Unless Steve Jobs decides to put his dick in here, in which case we'll have a whole new thing to worry about (which might happen, considering the insane "wuh?" of the iPhone...)~ 8D
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Stratadrake
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]Apparently it didn't own enough to prevent Clover from getting shut down.[/quote]
Sadly true, but I doubt Okami was the nail in the coffin. Don't forget, Clover still finished production of "God Hand" before their shutdown.

Reminds me of 1999 when there was a RTS game called "Warzone 2100", it was a good RTS (for the time) and was in fact well-supported by its developers (with monthly updates, etc.). And what happened? Well, the [i]publisher[/i] (Eidos) suffered some heavy losses from [i]other[/i] projects under their bank account, and laid off the whole development team. As the fan-made insults went, it wasn't the Pumpkins at fault but the "Eidiots".

Yeah, the voice FX in Okami were kinda hard to adjust to. But this is one of those issues that you either completely tune out or ultimately learn to love -- and I fall mostly into the latter category. Cheesy and repetitive as the chips were (Midna's voice FX in Twilight Princess are better integrated), they offered a lot of personality to the characters spouting them. Compared to that, even FF12's dialogue is, when not actually voiced, just flat boring text.
anti_sk8r
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]Wii has nothing coming out until Super Smash Brothers Brawl, from what I have seen. Admitedly, it did have both Trauma Center 2, and Zelda upon release, but after that, there is nothing on it's coming games list that looks like anything but your typical filler game.[/quote]
Fail. Sonic Secret Rings, SSX Blur, No More Heros (instant win from the makers of Killer 7), Mario Strikers Charged, Fire Emblem, Batallion Wars 2, Super Mario Galaxy, Project HAMMER, Pokemon Battle Revolution Online, Medal of Honor Vanguard, Disaster: Day of Crisis, Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles, Super Paper Mario, Dragon Quest Swords, DK Bongo Blast and many, many more all slated for a release this year. And that isn't even to mention SSBB.
Compare that with your Devil Gay Cry (no offense: I love it too =P), MGS4, Assasin's Creed and Halo 3 (<=only real competitor next to FFXIII).

BTW, I love Oblivian almost as much as you but you're bullshitting the industry if you dare say it couldn't have been done on the Wii. It may have even been done BETTER on the Wii taking into consideration all of the first person controls.

@Strata: Okami is kickass. Period. But I still believe Twilight Princess got robbed on the IGN Game of the Year losing to it. Wink

@Fayore:
[quote] Sooner or later, the PS3 will come down to a moderately-comfortable price (especially because technology is always getting more advanced) and there will be a lot of games for it.[/quote]
True and i'm faithfully awaiting that glorious day. However, considering Sony is already selling at a loss I can't imagine when this will occur. Also, I think by than the Wii and 360 may be on too far of a run for PS3 too catch up successfully. Where I live there are literally PS3s sitting on shelves everyday.

[quote]Though in the end, this'll probably turn out the same way the PS2/XBox/GC gen did - the first two dominating in general while the latter has extreme [niche] fan support.[/quote]
Gotta disagree. Unlike the GC, Wii is getting third-party looks galore, especially since its easier to develope for not to mention less expensive. PS3 will probably be slow for quite awhile but will start selling again after MGS4 comes out. Than it will slow. Than Devil May Cry or some other of there main cash cows will come out and it will sell and than it will slow. IMO, 360 is gonna be neck & neck with Wii for first place. 360 has proven that so far, it's graphics are noticably better than most PS3 titles. It's also cheaper. I hate to be a Wii60 fanboy but it seems that they're the only real battle going on in the industry right now.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Video games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: