Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
How does Photoshop work?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> General Art Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DivineNightshade
Very bored

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: How does Photoshop work? Reply with quote

i know this isn't a very smart question but..

When i first heard of Photoshop, i thought u could color stuff just like u do with MS paint

But....hmmmm... when i see examples of photoshop, it seems that there are alot confusing things on how do use it!

So how does it work any way?

I don't have it, but i would like to learn a little more about, i mean stuff done in Photoshop is beautiful!
Stratadrake
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy, where to begin . . . Photoshop is catered to an entirely different purpose than lowly Paint, there are way too many differences to list.

But, two of the largest differences are:

- Antialiased brushes. Simply put, draw a circle, line, or use any brush and it will have smooth, non-pixelated edges. This is part of how a Photoshop-made piece will look so smoothly shaded.

- Layers. You can separate a drawing into many different "layers" and work on individual sections at a time without fear of inadvertantly messing up the others.
Strata here: [url=http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/242293]Nanowrimo[/url] - [url=www.fanart-central.net/user-Stratadrake.php]FAC[/url] - [url=http://stratadrake.deviantart.com]dA[/url] - [url=www.furaffinity.net/user/Stratadrake/]FA[/url]
[size=9]Disclaimer: Posts may contain URLs. Click [url=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TVTropesWillRuinYourLife]at your own risk.[/url][/size]
GreenNinja
Still very bored

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Layers are like acetate I guess (100% transparent plasticy paper). You can work on Layer1 for example and then Layer 2 to sort of 'cover' over whatever you have on Layer1. Also, anything underneath Layer2 can been seen depending on how you change the blending method (Default-Normal). I'm not too confident at explaining this, but I hope it made at least some sense. Laughing
Edward_Elric_1308
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's more to Photoshop than I can say!! (lol)

There's many different kinds of brushes you can use, versus MS Paint's circle, square, and slanted-line brushes. With the brushes, you can create all kinds of interesting textures.

There's gradient-fills, that makes cool backgrounds.

There's red-eye correction for photos.

There's really cool filters.

I'm sorry if I can't explain it all. Photoshop IS the art program for professional artists. . . .or so as I've heard.

Smile
Throttle
Elder In Training

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[size=18][b]The basics:[/b][/size]

[b]Creating new file.[/b]
To do that click 'File' -> 'New', There you choose the size (in pixels or inches) you'll see more stuff there too.

[b]Using tools.[/b]
Tools are simple enough. There are many tools such as selection tool, crop tool, pen tool, brush tool, color replacement tools and stuff like that there.

[b]Filters.[/b]
Filters are abit more complicated but their easy once you get to know them. They are
'Artistic', 'Brush Strokes', 'Sketch', 'Distort'... etc.

[b]Layers.[/b]
Layers can be really handy. For example, you paste one image into another, it shows up as a different layer. You can edit it in almost every way possible (you can deform it, use filters on it, move it, rotate it, blend it in perfectly with the image, and stuff like that there)

For more tutorials search [url=http://google.com]google[/url]
[ [url=http://www.fanart-central.net/profile-Throttle.php]Profile[/url] | [url=http://www.fanart-central.net/user-Throttle.php]Gallery[/url] | [url=http://www.youtube.com/throttlechannel]YouTube[/url] ]
[size=8]p.s. Leaving FAC. See ya'll.[/size]
AngelusMortis
Very bored

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A note of caution for those who think Photoshop makes your artwork better than MS Paint: Photoshop in no way makes your artwork appear more skilled than MS Paint does. It just makes it more aesthetically appealing. You can do just as horrible a drawing in Photoshop as you would in MS Paint if you do not know how it works, or if you do not understand lighting perspective, color theory, proportions, and other basics. Photoshop makes it easier to express what skill you do have with art, but it won't make it better. If you don't know how to draw muscles with MS Paint, Photoshop can't help you draw better muscles. The point? You can still draw something good with MS Paint; your only purpose in upgrading to Photoshop is because it better emulates the style you wish to have in your drawings, or you prefer it to be that aesthetically appealing, especially to realism artists.

I just felt it had to be said.
Edward_Elric_1308
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="AngelusMortis"]A note of caution for those who think Photoshop makes your artwork better than MS Paint: Photoshop in no way makes your artwork appear more skilled than MS Paint does. It just makes it more aesthetically appealing. You can do just as horrible a drawing in Photoshop as you would in MS Paint if you do not know how it works, or if you do not understand lighting perspective, color theory, proportions, and other basics. Photoshop makes it easier to express what skill you do have with art, but it won't make it better. If you don't know how to draw muscles with MS Paint, Photoshop can't help you draw better muscles. The point? You can still draw something good with MS Paint; your only purpose in upgrading to Photoshop is because it better emulates the style you wish to have in your drawings, or you prefer it to be that aesthetically appealing, especially to realism artists.

I just felt it had to be said.[/quote]

Yeah, I agree. I use Photoshop, like many other artists on this site, to color in hand-drawn art that I've scanned into my computer. Some other artists use tablets. Smile
DivineNightshade
Very bored

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Edward_Elric_1308"][quote="AngelusMortis"]A note of caution for those who think Photoshop makes your artwork better than MS Paint: Photoshop in no way makes your artwork appear more skilled than MS Paint does. It just makes it more aesthetically appealing. You can do just as horrible a drawing in Photoshop as you would in MS Paint if you do not know how it works, or if you do not understand lighting perspective, color theory, proportions, and other basics. Photoshop makes it easier to express what skill you do have with art, but it won't make it better. If you don't know how to draw muscles with MS Paint, Photoshop can't help you draw better muscles. The point? You can still draw something good with MS Paint; your only purpose in upgrading to Photoshop is because it better emulates the style you wish to have in your drawings, or you prefer it to be that aesthetically appealing, especially to realism artists.

Yeah i wish i had it..

I feel like such an outcast without it

ZOMG!! I went to Target one time, and they had Paintshop pro

and then i could hear the aluaha chorus.... but then i didn't have enough money..

I WAS FRIKEN PISSED!!!!

Yeah, I agree. I use Photoshop, like many other artists on this site, to color in hand-drawn art that I've scanned into my computer. Some other artists use tablets. Smile[/quote]
Edward_Elric_1308
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="DivineNightshade"][quote="Edward_Elric_1308"][quote="AngelusMortis"]A note of caution for those who think Photoshop makes your artwork better than MS Paint: Photoshop in no way makes your artwork appear more skilled than MS Paint does. It just makes it more aesthetically appealing. You can do just as horrible a drawing in Photoshop as you would in MS Paint if you do not know how it works, or if you do not understand lighting perspective, color theory, proportions, and other basics. Photoshop makes it easier to express what skill you do have with art, but it won't make it better. If you don't know how to draw muscles with MS Paint, Photoshop can't help you draw better muscles. The point? You can still draw something good with MS Paint; your only purpose in upgrading to Photoshop is because it better emulates the style you wish to have in your drawings, or you prefer it to be that aesthetically appealing, especially to realism artists.

Yeah i wish i had it..

I feel like such an outcast without it

ZOMG!! I went to Target one time, and they had Paintshop pro

and then i could hear the aluaha chorus.... but then i didn't have enough money..

I WAS FRIKEN PISSED!!!!

Yeah, I agree. I use Photoshop, like many other artists on this site, to color in hand-drawn art that I've scanned into my computer. Some other artists use tablets. Smile[/quote][/quote]

Unlike MS Paint, which is free on most computers, Photoshop is and can be very expensive. Mine cost, I think, $80. Prepare to spend loads of money if you want Photoshop.

Paint Shop Pro, as so as I've heard, is also good to use. Razz
bowiegranap
Very bored

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have PSP. but have access to PS and illustrator (my nephew's computer).

For most things, PaintShop Pro is pretty much equivalent to PS.

However, PS has a lot more tools, particularly filters. Things like render->clouds doesn't exist even in the latest versions of PSP . And PSP's support of brushes is very, very poor. Making a grunge signature/background (following PS tutorials) is like pulling teeth because some steps that would take a couple of clicks in PS would have to be deconstructed into several steps in PSP.

In any case, I still like and use PSP. Its cheaper (cough), for one thing, and rather easy to learn and use.

For those wanting to see what a paint program can do better than MSPaint, maybe they should try out GIMP, which is free.
NEVERBENORMAL
Very bored

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]Yeah, I agree. I use Photoshop, like many other artists on this site, to color in hand-drawn art that I've scanned into my computer. Some other artists use tablets. Smile[/quote]

same here Smile very rarely do i ever draw anything on the computer...

depending on what you want to do with a sketch, you can ink it by putting a different layer over it, or you can use multiply to color the sketch as it is, just put a layer underneath it. i think though, your best option to figure out the tools, is to register photoshop if you havent and click the tool you are confused about, you should have an option to go to the help section and it will explain the tool to you. im not sure how it works in your version, i only have elements. i didn't understand photoshop either, i still don't understand a lot of it, but i got better with it just through experimenting with the different tools and stuff Smile i hope i helped a little bit Smile

i'm on deviant art too ^
Edward_Elric_1308
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please stop bumping dead topics.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> General Art Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: