Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
[closed] Cover for a book
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Contests Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emrys
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:18 am    Post subject: [closed] Cover for a book Reply with quote

I'm going to start with the attention grabber, before I get into the details of the contest.

If you win it's worth 300 dollars, American. That's right. 300 for first place. Here's the details

I'm going to post sketches of weapons, and detailed descriptions of my characters. Tonight there will be a second post giving you multiple descriptions of several characters. Using these descriptions, I want it turned into realistic art. No anime, manga, hentai, yada yada Realism. Use any medium. Most of my drawings are in pencil but I will want the final 3 pictures done in watercolors or some form of paint. I'm going to want the originals, these are going to be covers of the 3 books i'm writing.

This is how the contest works. I'll look at several of your drawings of my characters. Full body would be the best. And judge based on skill. I'll eliminate those that i don't like and keep the ones I do. Just because I've eliminated you doesn't mean you can't try again. You can have up to 5 entries per character I describe.

I'll narrow it down to 10 people (depending on how many hits I get), and I'll give you what I want the covers of the books to look like. Using that, you can use any Hand-drawn medium to give me the best picture you can for each book design. 3 entries per person on that one.

1st place will recieve $300. $100 per each original drawing which means I'll want you to mail it to me. I will pay $100 via a check in the mail before you mail it to cover your expenses. the final $200 will come in a check. And a signed copy of the first book scheduled to be published December 2007. As well as signed copies of the other two books as they are released.

2nd place will recieve a $40 check for your troubles and drawing expenses. And a signed copy of all three books as they are published.

3rd place will recieve a $25 dollar check again for your troubles and drawing expenses. As well as the same signed books as 1st and 2nd.

It's taken me 4 years to write this series and book 4 is still in the process. If i can get a cover for book 1 and I can publish it. Each description will be pulled straight from the books. I'll also include some teasing scenes later on, in the case that you want to capture the character in action.

The first Character, in case you wanna start now.

Name: Jova'rake Mitchell White 2002
Age: 34 *edit* sorry book 2 he's 34.... book 1 he's 24 and book 3 he's 37 Smile
Weight: 210
Height: 5'11"
Sex: Male
Weapon: Gunblade (see pic at bottom)
Affiliation: Wizard clan, Celtvarian Navy 2002
Hair: Brownish Blonde, long single braid to small of back
Eyes: Icy Blue
Detailed Description from the book:
From Planet of Evil book 2 of the Gunblade series 2002

Mitch looked at his reflection in the viewport. His white uniform was pressed and his rank and decorations were all in place. His face was clean shaven and still reflected his youth. He was only thirty-four but he looked twenty-ish. His blondish-brown hair was pulled back into a long braid, as it had always been displayed since the wizard was twelve. In fact, the only thing that had changed in the last ten years was the fact that he now had a mustache. Closely trimed, the facial hair countered the boyish curves of his cheeks and his dimpled chin. It mad the serious look in his blue eyes less curious and innocent.

Also post here if you're even entering the contest. You know you wanna. Smile 300 dollars, I know i would. *edit* Almost forgot! Deadlines. Notice of Entry must be at least left by 15August2005. Final Deadline for the completed pictures Is 19February2007.

Other deadlines will be posted as I see fit. Good Luck!

Akidaz: My world. NO YOU CAN'T COME!
Emrys: but?
Akidaz: Okay, you can, but NO ONE ELSE!

Last edited by Emrys on Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fae
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm...so it has to be realism...i don't think i am that good at drawing real people if they already exist, but drawing from my imagination with guidelines might be different. I think i'l give it a shot. But do you have any female characters?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Emrys
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'll post detailed descriptions tonight but Mitch is going to be the main character on the cover of book one so i figured i'd give the heads up about him. I can list some of the characters if you want but i'd have to go to the books for complete descriptions.

a few female character names
Amanda "Blades" Christian
Samatha McKard
Erika White
Joni Parrish
Tiffani Craften

a few of the male character names
Joe Roberson
Matthew Hall
Joey Lunceford
Aaron Eddleman
"X"

All characters mentioned and described in this thread are 2002 to JMWGrimes. Like i said, when i have my books in front of me, I'll give you more descriptions of the characters Smile Again Good Luck!!

C1umzieOn3
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By some sort of paint, do you mean computer colored too or just completly brush painting?
Emrys
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brush painting is the best medium I think. However if you can do a computer done paint job and make it look real then hey, that's awesome and that will work. But i'll still need the final printed copies because i have to turn those in with the text if i'm going to have a cover for the book. Otherwise they slap this plain black thing on it and push it out and i don't want that. I want something that draws attention when you browse through the bookstore, you know?

The reason i want printed copies is because i want your HANDWRITTEN signature on them. The prize may be self rewarding just because you may make more money just having your artwork floating around. Does that clarify it better?

C1umzieOn3
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, thanks. I'm thinking about entering this, but it'll be a ways down. How long, not sure. I got 'til '07' so it's enough time to improve to be good enough. (Hopefully it's still running then)
Emrys
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More on Jova'rake from Book 1 © 2002

....He now wore a white Admiral's Shirt with green embroidery around the collar and cuffs. Two light green stripes followed the hem of his white slacks to his shiny black boots. His hair had been rebraided with three strands of ceremonial light green twine and was fastened at the end with a green rope that hung down with the remaining hair. A light green robe draped from his shoulders to his knees. It was decorated with his clan's seal in the center of his shoulder. The same holster on his right hip housed his infamous gunblade. Also hanging from his belt was the staff's handle that once belonged to the senator. It had been personally repaired by Mitch and was now in full working order.

Matthew Hall from book 3 © 2002 (looks never really changed)

Sillouetted by the lights of Cantagar ©, a man in a blue uniform strolled to the local cafe. He had short black hair, deep brown eyes, and a slightly stubled face. He had a pair of bars on his neck. A heavy plasma pistol rested in the holster on his right thight.
There's more on him but I'll pull it from the other books.

Johan Vandenheck from book 3 © 2002 (also in book one but i like this description better)

The man pulled the hood to reveal his face. The black hair and long goatee marked his sharp features. It was none other than Johan himself.

I'm going to add to this. Hair is a black braid similiar to Jova'rake's though not as long. And the robe was red. He uses a longer red plasma sword. Almost 200 centimeters in length. I have and updated copy of this book somewhere but i'm typing out of the original Smile.

X © book 1 (i love this character)

A man stood on the boarding ramp of the False Charge, a small frigate used for smuggling. His black jumpsuit was tattered in several places including a long rip from his right kneecap to his ankle. He had on a black knitcap under which emerged traces of silver hair. Soot still covered his face but most had been hastily wiped onto his cap. He also wore a shiny but scuffed pair of black boots. A pair of belts crisscrossed across his chest baring a wicked looking knife and several ammo pouches. A long barreled sniper rifle was slung over his back. A pair of tenarian pistals rested loosely in his hip holsters. ...
Looking at his left shoulder the man in black spotted a tattoo through the tatters of his jumpsuit in the shape of the letter "x," so he said, "I'm called 'X'."

Guy suffered from amnesia and couldn't remember his name. All he had was a sniper rifle and he became a hired assassin signing each kill with a trademark x somehow.

Samatha McKard © 2002 best one is from book 3
...She stood approximately 5.5 semars © tall and had a long scar extending from her left eyebrow to (right) lower chin. Her long brown hair hung down her back to her shoulder blades. Twin locks of hair hung just inside each of her ears. They had been dyed a dark blue to highlight her blue eyes and her magic class. She wore a black hooded robe and a dark blue dress. From her waist hung a small metal rod with a hole at one end.

.... blue strands of hair... god that's so hot!!! neway

Amanda "Blades" Christian © 2002 I'm going to quote from both book 2 and book 1
He was followed by Commander Amanda "Blades" Christian, ..... She also had red hair but compared to the beefy Aaron she was only four semars tall and lean.
Looks like a toothpick, Jova'rake thought...

A short female stepped onto the bridge. She had dark red hair that flowed to the center of her shoulder blades. Her brown eyes ran the bridge over quikly.

grr that don't give enough... think short hot chick... pointed chin... very skinny. small chest but still visible she's a girl. best thing i can say is a cup Smile Red hair and very limber. now she does have muscles but not really defined muscles like a guy... but muscles from tons and tons of calistenic (sp) activities.

That's enough characters for now... i have some edited descriptions somewhere i'll have to find them.

Brianhjh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is almost too epic to be true

I might be digging my own grave, but if you want to get better entries than the normal, forum-going crowd, write down all the people who were picked as the Artist of the month (use news archive) and leave them a comment on their profile of this contest, I don't want you cancelling this contest because you don't think the art is good enough.

*Runs away before getting trampled by people

I'm in, by the way.
River_Phoenix
Very bored

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

awww why can't it be anime? it'd be much cuter, and will attract more ppl :wub:

personally, realistic Sci-fi/fantasy covers r so.. star wars to me

well its ur book ^_^
Emrys
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good idea but how do you get to those... cuz i don't see a link for a news archive

okay.. they can be animeish because that's how i draw but... i don't want certain things... let me find examples and i'll show you

look here
http://www.fanart-central.net/pic-142088.html

classic anime right there... look at the eyes.. no way!!! and the lips not even close.

Now i do close anime... i'll put a pic up later of my version of X and you'll see what i mean by anime-ish

River_Phoenix
Very bored

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lmao lol i think i know what u mean, and i didn't mean like, a totally anime cover either, just not too realistic or not to cartoonish.. just .. in the middle ^-^
Emrys
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kinda exactly... that... i mean... if you make it too realistic... and this ever makes a movie... i'm going to have major probs trying to get actors. but if you make it... sorta cartoonish mostly realism... just not overboard on the cartooning. I want it to look... better than i could do myself you know?

GollumDragon
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yay finally some realism. And I've been doing paintings nonstop yay. Plus I need money for my buisiness I'm trying to start. I'm definately in...I have to go I'll read up on everything past the first post when I get back.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Brianhjh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This contest gives 1 and a half year for a deadline, that's gotta be the record.
Emrys
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the final deadline.... saying that you draw every character i give at least once... and then draw the covers....

that's going to be at least 20 drawings... if you do multiple drawings of each character.... ....

sitting here looking at my books let me give you each character's name again...

Jova'rake Mitchell White
Matt Doss
Aaron Eddleman
Erica Dole White
Tiffani Crafton
Samatha McKard
Joey Lunceford
Joe Robinson
Matthew Hall
Amanda "Blades" Christian
Johan Vandenheck
X
Roane Isly
Sarah Johnson
Charles "Andy" Wester
Franklin Lee
Joni Parrish
two mutants... Deeminus (has three mutations) and Zeefour
Ben Lewis
Benjamin Duver
Matthew Tigris
Brandi Staggs
there's a few other characters but i won't mention them... :)

so that's 23 characters and 3 final pictures... 26 pictures... it's a lot of work with a long deadline. but the reward is very much worth it

note all characters subject to copyright 2002 to JMWGrimes

River_Phoenix
Very bored

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but instead of spending forever on 26 pictures , can we draw just one first , then post it for u to see, then approve of it? cuz it would be a waste of time for some ppl . . . .
GollumDragon
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

River_Phoenix (Chris H) wrote:
awww why can't it be anime? it'd be much cuter, and will attract more ppl :wub:

I think the cute is one of the reasons for more realistic, this series to me has a bit of an Edgar Rice Burroughs (hey look thats my last name Razz)-Deborah Chester in a more Blue Gender-ish setting feel to it (there's a much better description but this is me with no sleep ) The way you describe the characters reminds me of the way I do in the stories I am writing, but getting this far is a long way off, I've thrown it away and redone it so many time's I'm about sick of it and may end up making it a manga lol.

And to me it looks like that is what he's doing, sort of like FAC Idol was running: You would first make an entry for the first phase of the contest, it would get whittled down, and then the second phase would begin, and so forth (I miss that contest, I had to drop out because of the deadlines being while I was away Sad)

Anyway, like I said I'm definately in, I'm one of those people without any computer programs so you'll be getting every bit handdone from me Razz Perhaps I will be able to convince my dad to pitch in some money for me to get some prismas now...I tend to use mixed media and my colored pencils are crappy crayola and pentech.

Just so I can get a feel for your prefered style (the anime convo confused me, I understand what you mean I think because I often do a semi-realistic semi-anime style but I just want to check. I won't be back to the normal computer till tomorrow and will be away from Thurday to Sunday, so if after that I'm still not sure which you prefer I'll either post some examples of the types of styles in here or contact you outside of this or something I guess. One thing to ask about that right now though is for the first entry on the painting, I tend to paint and add in very minute details with pencils so I just want to check to see if you're dead set on straight painting or not for the first pictures.

And for this long a contest, I wonder if you could convince fallen to give you your own subforum type of thing where someone could just click on that and find all the smaller contests inside, it might make it easier to keep track of for everyone, especially you. Might take awhile and it's unlikely but you never know till you try. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MedalMask
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy f**k! 300 dollars!!!? Well realism really isn't my thing but it's cool to try new things, I might want to enter this contest, 300 dalla I could use XP Amybe, well see what happens.
GollumDragon
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why can't people enter this just for the fact that it looks fun? Sad lol course the money, publicity, and the fact that there's free books involved a big plus XD
Emrys
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's kinda like the idol thing... exactly... but first of all. use any medium you want... pencil, crayon, colored pencil, whatever. The final pictures. those last three will be done in some form of paint. your own choice there too. i want you to feel comfortable doing this. For the first round i just wanna see some of your skill doing some of my characters. I'll use other characters to narrow down the results and those mutants will come into play to really do some eliminating. Remember this is an ANY MEDIUM you want, until we get to the last 3 pictures and that's a year and a half away
put some time into this. if you're good enough it's very much worth the effort Smile

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Contests Archive All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: