Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Censorship

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Politics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
August
Still very bored

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Censorship Reply with quote

My school has recently banned the book Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain because a black girl's mother complained about the use of the "n-word" in the book.

The story is at www.wwj.com.
Quote:

Book Controversy in Taylor School

Southfield (WWJ) -- Taylor School District administrators say high school students won't be reading "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" aloud in any English classes.

WWJ's Vickie Thomas reported Wednesday morning the controversy about the Mark Twain book came to light when Rita Robinson complained to the principal and then administrators about students at John F. Kennedy High having to read the story aloud and act it out. Robinson's daughter is the only African-American student in an honors English class.

Huckleberry Finn contains the n-word more than 100 times. Huckleberry Finn, published in 1884, is one of the most banned books in American history and continued object of study by serious literary critics.

Deputy Superintendent Dr. Lyn Sutton told Robinson and WWJ the book was pulled from classes at both high schools in the district and the district has launched a review of the district's book list. That review is ongoing. Sutton also said "no student should feel uncomfortable in the classroom."

The book is on The College Board's recommended reading list.

MMVI WWJ Radio, All Rights Reserved.

First of all, there are many black students in our honors english classes. I know for a fact that in our AP English 11 class there are SEVEN black girls. There is not one girl being singled out and put in an uncomfortable position by this book.

The main complaint, as you see, is that the "n-word" is used over 100 times in the book. What about other classics like [u]To Kill A Mockingbird /u] that also use this word? The article says that the entire Taylor Schools book list is being reviewed. This means OTHER books that were created many years ago and had a great effect on our culture can be censored simply because of a word.

Here's the bulletin I posted on myspace (I also made a "Save Huck Finn" group):

Quote:

Are you aware that the Taylor School District today banned the book Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain because of the use of the word "nigger"?

see story here: http://www.wwj.com/pages/118667.php?contentType=4&contentId=233904

Consider this:
-If they ban one book, they can (and probably will) ban more.
-This censorship affects your quality of education.
-Huckleberry Finn is a piece of literature and it, along with many other controversial books, has won many awards and is NOT racist, it is just a novel of the time period.
-These words and situations are a part of life. SIXTEEN YEAR OLDS are reading these books, not five year olds.

So, just think about these things. Talk to your parents about this and see what they think. We, as a community, need to fight censorship and fight for our education and future.

SAVE HUCKLEBERRY FINN!

-Katie

More reasons I oppose this ban:

Yes, this word "nigger" is racist today, but the book was NOT written in the 2000's, it was written in the 1800's. At that time, nigger was the term used to describe what we today call black, or African American, people.

Look forward to the future. Today, you may refer to an African American person as black. What if, in the future, it is unacceptable and you must refer to them as South African Americans, Nigerian Americans, or another name and because of this, all of the books and television shows that YOU are watching now, as a teenager, are deemed to no longer be politically correct, but instead offend everyone. How would you feel if your favorite novel was banned simply for the word "black" even though that was the language of the time?

I'm female and in my english classes we read a great deal of novels that deal with women being homemakers and never having a strong, assertive position. I am NOT offended when they say bad things about the women or treat them differently because I know that was the time period. Now, this day and age, we do not refer to women this way and see them positions of power. I am not saying it is okay to call someone who is black a nigger. It is NOT, but it is completely different when it is seen in an older literary work where that is the common language of that time period.

Lord of the Flies and To Kill A Mockingbird are two other books that contain the word "nigger". According to this article, the entire book list for the Taylor Schools is going to be reviewed, meaning these books may be banned due to their content. When kids in our district go to college, they will not have the background of others there in their english courses. Yes, the students could read the book on their own, but the will not have the rigorous discussion that goes along with reading the book in an english class. They will also not understand the intended meaning of this book, such as how Jim, who is a slave, and Huck are actually friends. It does not promote separating races or racism itself.

Do you want your school censoring what you read and taking away your chance at the same education as everyone else because of one word? If they take away one book, it will be easier for them to take away more. I know you may not care, but please just consider this. Censorship is not right and it is not beneficial.

Also, if you have read the article, I hope you are aware that there are MANY black students in our english classes, not just one. I know there are FOUR black girls in my english class (yeah, four is a lot more than one).

WWJ, get your story straight.

Oh yeah, and for your information, I hear and see the word "nigger" more than 100 times every day, go listen to some rap music.

How do YOU feel about censorship and do you have an experiences with it?

What about the right to free speech?

I hope I don't get in trouble for doing this Smile
jhonenfreak
Elder In Training

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banning books makes them all the more fun to read because you get to learn and tick stupid people off at the same time. Very Happy

But seriously, banning books is stupid. Huck Finn is a wonderful piece of literature, and if someone has a problem with it they should grin and bear it instead of forcing everyone to endure a changed curriculum. If I said that I felt intimidated and uncomfortable when reading about death and murderers, does that mean my school should ban half of Poe's and Shakespear's work? No. It's life. It happens.

My school once assigned a book for summer reading called Kite Runner where there are a few instances of little children getting bum raped, but no one complained, not even the Middle Eastern students. (Kite Runner is an autobiography of a Middle Eastern man, btw.) People just need to grow up and stop complaining about every little thing. It's not like that student hasn't heard that word before. When's the last time The Diary of Anne Frank was banned because some Jewish student didn't like reading about the death camps? And death camps are obviously a lot more emotionally stressing than a naughty word, if you ask me.
Still very bored

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, jhonen Smile You gave me some more ideas for the letters I'm writing right now.

Last year, in my AP English 11 class, we had to do a trial to decide if Huck Finn was a racist book and the ONLY people that saw a problem with it were three black girls because of the word nigger. The other class, however, had some black students in it and they didn't see a problem with the book. I guess it just depends on the individual.

Mostly, though, everyone in our class decided the book was not racist (except for those three girls)
unfocused

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess some people prefer to be shielded from even the less harsh oppressions of American history Smile This girl is screaming to be guided through life with every corner sugar-coated for her. Amy's made all the best points on this. And I'm with you two. If victims of prejudice want us all to move past racism, why is it that they seem to be the ones bringing the issue up all the time?
Jtlats

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of like in Texas where they try to ban a book about banning books.(F 451)

Or in the south where they burned Harry Potter books when the 6th one came out? I laughed my ass off when there were several injuries because these dipsh-ts set themselves on fire when trying to burn HP books.

Let me ask you a question. What hurts more? Me saying the F word and N word a million times or your local republican raping an 8 year old boy after saying Gay Marriage was against God?
darksoul666
Very bored

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or in the south where they burned Harry Potter books when the 6th one came out? I laughed my ass off when there were several injuries because these dipsh-ts set themselves on fire when trying to burn HP books.

why did they burn Harry Potter books?
Benk
Elder In Training

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BECAUSE HARRY POTTER HATES GOD AND YOU'RE GOING TO HELL
darksoul666
Very bored

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

God that is like back in the middle ages when the church burned books that didn't stay in the rules of the bible
Benk
Elder In Training

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Punctuate
darksoul666
Very bored

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, I forgot to punctuate.
Fayore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOLY CRAP GUYS

get back on topic or this thread is locked.

this ain't random, yo. making posts just to pick on people isn't approved of in here. >8(
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Benk
Elder In Training

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh.
I think America will catch on when they start censoring books with political ideas. Mark Twain's books really sucked, though, so I wouldn't actually care if I was in your school.
SilverKitsune
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would ban catcher in the rye.

The whole book is about a man bitching about life.

xAmiDarkfieldx wrote:
"Your a bird, I'm a cat of the jungle. Birds can't get pregnant last I checked. They lay eggs."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Politics All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: