Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
CG Anime?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Anime & Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: CG Anime? Reply with quote

For those who don't know what CG is it's computer graphics. Think of things like Disney's Toy Story or that CG animation Reboot and you're there. What I want to know is: should Japanese animation be made in computer graphics instead? I like the regular anime, but the CG sounds nice, too. What do you lot think?
setzaroth
Cold Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: hmm Reply with quote

well If every-single anime show could pull off Cg animation like advnet children then yea it would be great. but then you sorta loose the un-seriousness that some episodes use. Like when some characters heads grow 1000X their size and eyes get huge and they grow fangs when they yell at someone.
Pabbit_da_Rabbit
Would like fries with that

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Code Lyoko is made in CG and I really don't like it, personally. The animations themselves (motion and backgrounds) are all right to watch, but I hate how they did the characters.
Edward_Elric_1308
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Jedi"]What I want to know is: should Japanese animation be made in computer graphics instead?[/quote]

I think computer graphics, like 3D animation, would make certain animes look more "kiddy" than their age group was intended for. If a CG anime was geared towards teens, I think many teens wouldn't watch it, and would draw a younger crowd.

I think staying in 2D cell animation would be the wisest choice.
bowiegranap
Very bored

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Japanese have been using CG for years. Love Hina is _purely_ CG (no 2d cels), and that was released in 2002, well before Advent Children. I'm pretty sure everything that studio (Xebec, who also created Nadesico, Shaman King) releases these days is purely CG. I wouldn't be surprised if nearly every japanese studio is going CG these days.

So : should japanese animation done in computer graphics?

The answer is: they already are.
Jedi
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="bowiegranap"]
So : should japanese animation done in computer graphics?
The answer is: they already are.[/quote]

They are? So, Advent Children was done in CG, then? Hmm...
cstdenis
Evil Overlord

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sure about Love Hina? I think I've seen cels of that.

But, most modern anime does make heavy use a 2d CG -- basically a graphics tablet instead of paper.

3d only anime is rare but does happen, like Run=Dim and Mobile Suit Gundam MS IGLOO and of course final fantasy.

Anime that is a mix of 2d and 3d is a mixed bag, some do it well, some really look bad.
anime_chick
Forum Scalleywag

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2-D CG, is alot better than trying to do the whole "3-D CG" thing. It'd make alot of shows look childish, such as Pabbit and the other said. Besides, the way they've done the 2-D CG looks great, though, that is my opinion. 3-D CG looks interesting, I must say, but dunno how it'd look with just an anime that isn't all about mecha, or a child show.
--
[img]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c382/Anime_Chick46/ACbanner.png[/img]

[ Yes I made that banner;; Message me if you want one. ]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
PhoenixAshes
Still very bored

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely like the use of 2D CG in anime. The colors and lines are usually sharper. Plus, by shortening the animation process, it allows the animators to focus more on details and backgrounds and suchlike. Which means generally prettier anime ^^

As for 3D? I'm not sold on that, since the only entirley 3D CG anime I've ever seen is FFVII AC. I think it's alright for backgrounds and special effects (like water and particle effects) though, since it gives the animators more time to focus on the foreground characters...
May the force be with y'all!
NekoNinja
Forum contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]Well, Code Lyoko is made in CG and I really don't like it, personally. The animations themselves (motion and backgrounds) are all right to watch, but I hate how they did the characters.[/quote]

Isn't Code Lyoko a french cartoon?

I think anime is fine the way it is. 3D CG would be interesting, though.
kuraichan
Newb

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually like Code Lyoko.

For one thing, yeah, the style is kind of.. Eh.. (easy to draw fanart for though!)

But on the other hand, MoonScoop is a driving force for developing techniques for CGI in television.

I'm not saying everyone and their mom should go out and use CGI for their shows, or you get a mix up crap face like Storm Hawks.. even though I totally dig how Storm Hawks animates their mouths.. just the mouths and eyes.. o_O I stare at the mouths.

and yes.. I watch it on mute.

But Code Lyoko's CGI animation is pretty advanced for TV cartoons. From France.

o_O When was the last french cartoon you've ever seen anyway?

I personally hope to see some more stuff from Moon Scoop.
mewxshecka
Newb

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, interesting.
Actually, Kirby the anime has CGI animation infused with it.
I personally think animation in shows shouldn't change for ALL animations.
I mean some shows are ok, but if you took a show like naruto and made it in CGI it wouldn't look right.
I have never been a fan of CGI animation, personally i just don't like it.
But if its FUSED with 2nd animation (Like i said, Kirby did that) it would be good.
Those are my opinons ^_^
Edward_Elric_1308
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is Code Lyoko an anime?
SunaNoFara
Very bored

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]I mean some shows are ok, but if you took a show like naruto and made it in CGI it wouldn't look right.
[/quote]

I agree. It all depends on the anime you're gonna put into CG.

And I guess if the manga-ka of the original manga wouldn't mind either if they're style actually fits in with the computer animation.
Edward_Elric_1308
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still say 2D-anime is better but with *some* digital rendering for effects.
Fuyuzuki
Newb

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should all be turned into CG anime? Hell no. I personally like it as it is now.

Even worse is to mix up the two together.

Sure the backgrounds look nice and all, but the characters look way too much as if were taken from game and they don't look 'humanish' at all, more like dolls.

I don't like it. Sure it's nice to have some change of style, but I prefer the way majority of anime is animated.
Edward_Elric_1308
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To put my thoughts briefly, they are as follows:

Completely three-dimensional anime? [b]NO[/b]
3D rendering for effects? [b]Sometimes, but not always[/b]
CG effects? [b]Good, but not too much of it[/b]

Three-dimensional anime would look kinda strange to me, and kiddy. It would make me feel like I'm watching [i]Code Lyoko[/i] or some Pixar children's movie or something.
Dark_Angel_Of_Light
Rejecting Your Masterpieces

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing if they did CGs for some animes, proportions for the bodies would be off(i.e., big head, small hands). Their eyes are already different compared to realism eyes(like yours and mine), so the CGing would just make them even bigger.

I also think that if they were to CG fighting scenes and/or nonliving objects, such as cars, mountains, etc., that would look very impressive. I've seen some fight scenes where the animation is good for it, but I could imagine it could be even better to CG it.

As for Code Lyoko, I think a different form of CG could be used. Backgrounds look fine in the show, but the characters in that CG form make me iffy about it. I'm sure if they approached the series with a different way to CG it, or make the characters look better, it'd be a better show too.
supervanman64
Newb

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Advent Children, but I do have to agree that 2D would be better for more animes than 3D. It's like when Disney announced that all their new shows are going to be 3D instead of 2D, I was disappointed, since I love movies like Aladdin and Lion King. I just like that 2D can have its own style that 3D can't pull of. Now the occasional 3D series is okay, but if it's all that's out there then there's no originality. That's just my opinion.
Jedi
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="supervanman64"]I love Advent Children, but I do have to agree that 2D would be better for more animes than 3D. It's like when Disney announced that all their new shows are going to be 3D instead of 2D, I was disappointed, since I love movies like Aladdin and Lion King. I just like that 2D can have its own style that 3D can't pull of. Now the occasional 3D series is okay, but if it's all that's out there then there's no originality. That's just my opinion.[/quote]

That's cool. I prefer the 2D cartoons now, so yeah.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Anime & Manga All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: