Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Ad blocker

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> General Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bowiegranap
Very bored

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Ad blocker Reply with quote

I'm using firefox to access the site.

Today, I got this message (or something similar):

"Fanart has detected you have an adblocker yadayadaya.

To continue, disable your adblocker."

Is this a new "feature"? If it isn't, why is it popping up now? I haven't added anything to my browser lately (I installed Adblock plus months ago). If it is new, does this mean that in order to access fac in the future, I now have to open myself to ads and such? Its one thing to have ads in annoying places, its another matter if they're actively blocking me from accessing the site.
cstdenis
Evil Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes its new.

As the message says, FAC relies on ad views to pay for its costs so I can't allow people with adblockers to leech the resources.

for those without ad blockers, here is the full message

[quote]FAC has detected that you appear to be using an ad blocker.
FAC makes the money it needs to run its servers from advertisements.
Without people viewing ads, FAC would have to shut down.
By using the site without viewing ads you are a drain on FAC's limited resources without giving back what pays for them.

To continue to use FAC, disable your ad blocker, then click here to continue.[/quote]
NekoNinja
Forum contributor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I have an ad blocker, so why am I getting the message?
Battou
Photo Lucidity Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="NekoNinja"]I don't think I have an ad blocker, so why am I getting the message?[/quote]

A lot of ISP's are including them with newer vertions I think.
[b]RPG[/b]-[i]n[/i]. A computer programing language designed for business reporting that generates specific programs from the users specifications.([b]R[/b]eport [b]P[/b]rogram [b]G[/b]enerator)[i]The American Heritage Dictionary[/i]

[u][url=http://www.photo-lucidity.com/user-Battou.php]Photo-Lucidity[/url][/u] - [u][url=http://www.fanart-central.net/user-battou.php]FaAC[/url][/u] - [u][url=http://www.funart-central.net/user-Battou.php]FuAC[/url][/u] - [u][url=http://forums.fanart-central.net/index.php]Joke of the day[/url][/u]
NekoNinja
Forum contributor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, how can I disable it, then?
cstdenis
Evil Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know. There are many different ad blockers. I can't help without more info. You should contact your ISPs technical support about it.

It is also possible that your ISP is blocking ads on their end and there is nothing you can do other than complain to them.

Even worse, some ISPS are not INSERTING THEIR OWN ADS on websites to replace the sites ads to the money goes to them instead of the website. It is not acceptable for ISP to do that, but I know of some that do. You can use this to detect whether they are doing that: http://vancouver.cs.washington.edu/

If you are sure the ads are not blocked its possible (tho unlikely the way I designed it) that its a false-positive. Just click the button and continue, if the message doesn't come back in about 4 page views its just a false-positive. If it does come back, something is blocking ads.
The_Beast_Within
My First Post!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Firefox itself is the problem here! I've just dissabled all the ad blockers at this end (didn't know I had any), and it displayes perfetly on my default browser. However, when I try and load FAC on Firefox, it's blocked everytime! Either Firefox has an ad blocker coded into it that I can't find, or the FAC's become 'browserist' Smile
cstdenis
Evil Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*I* Use Firefox. I'd know if there was a problem specific to Firefox.

Some distros of Firefox may come with an ad blockers (I know Lolifox does), check tools->add-ons.

Its also possible (tho not particularly likely) to get a false-positive if you are browsing too fast (Especially if you have a slow connection).
London

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't seen a more recent topic or a solution, so..

I was trying to delete crappy stuff from my gallery just now, and it's infuriating because of this ad blocker issue. I clicked that link in the earlier post, and it said my ISP is fine. I turned the ad blocker in my firewall and browser off (and I checked on multiple browsers), I don't have any ad blocking specific programs running, and it's not a false positive. (Very fast internet, and that message shows up without fail a few clicks after I relog.)

Is there anything else I can do or you can do to fix this issue? ;0

Edit: Dunno if this helps any, but on profile pages I DO see banner ads. On the error page, I don't see that ad, though.
cstdenis
Evil Overlord

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you see the banner ads at the top (728x90px ones) or just the skyscraper ones on the side in some places like profiles?
London

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the vertical profile ones sometimes. I can't see any horizontal ones.
cstdenis
Evil Overlord

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then something on your computer is blocking them, or something on your ISP (maybe mcgill has some kind of ad filter proxy).

I see you use Firefox. If it does this in IE too then it must be your virus scanner. Try turning it right off to confirm.
London

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, okay. It seems like Norton has multiple ad blockers. Or something. I found one earlier, and after a lot more poking around, I managed to shut the other one off, and the site works fine now. Very Happy Thanks for the suggestion.

I'd been using ZoneAlarm for ever, but this computer came with Norton IS free for a year, which my dad for some reason renewed, so he insists that I continue using it. Neutral
Hatomi
My First Post!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, i have got the same prob..
but how do i disable it ?
i didnt even knowed we had an adblocker Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> General Help All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: