Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
What/who is god?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Philosophical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
0purple0gone0wild0
Newb

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: What/who is god? Reply with quote

I never really understood why people think of god as a person-like being. The thought of him/her being angry and punishing people makes me sick. To me, he/she is love, pure everlasting love. A bright light that exists in all that is. We were put on this planet to learn, so why would she/he punish us? And why is she/he thought to be male? It just doesn't make sense to me Sad
London

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are speaking of the Judeo-Christian god, yes?
0purple0gone0wild0
Newb

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.
London

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People think that god is angry, likes to punish people, is male, and shaped like a human because well.. read the Bible. That god is angry and jealous and likes to punish people. Believe in me and only me or go to hell. Obey my arbitrary and dubiously constructed laws and moral standards or I'll order your friends and neighbors to stone you to death. He's male because the Bible refers to him as He and Him. At least the English version does; I don't know enough about the language in which the Bible was originally written to say if this was true of the first copy. He also looks like a person because he apparently shaped man in his own image.

Philosophers who were convinced of the existence of a god, not necessarily a version of god as promoted by religions, describe god as a trait or combination of characteristics, not a being or a "bright white light." Usually something along the lines of perfect or infinite, not something ridiculously romantic like love.
0purple0gone0wild0
Newb

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised Romantic? If love is concidered ridiculous then all hope for human kind is lost Crying or Very sad I really wish you people weren't so heartless and judgemental, but then again I'm not surprised.
London

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you can describe my post as heartless and judgemental, as all I was doing was stating the truth.

Romantic not in a romantic-lovey-dovey way, as in an overly sentimental and idealistic way. The power of love doesn't conquer all; nobody's going to argue with me on that point, so how could love equal god?
0purple0gone0wild0
Newb

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm...I guess your right. I apoligize, but it would be nice if god did express unconditional love.
NorseGodOdin
Oldbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. God is love. But He's also justice. If you don't repent of your sin He has the right to throw you in Hell. For Hell is a place of eternal regret. But we have Jesus Christ to save us from such a fate. All we have to do is accept him.

God is also unlimited and eternal power. For you need power to create, do you not?

God also exists outside your mortal perception. Only when you're granted eternal life in Heaven, you can see and feel God.
"So then I was having my ass handed to me by like g0at and like wayman... And I'm like 'whatever' and they're like... 'Get out'a here man, this room is like locked, it's reserved for the rational response squad. And then guess who shows up.. VenomFangX, like no way..." - Uzi
ThomYorke
I dream of mod position

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is obvious to me that God does not love me, because I'm going to hell. Who would inflict eternal suffering on the ones they love?
Would you torture your children for pissing you off and refusing to apologize?

Also, I'm sure that imaginary is what God is.
TheNightRider
Very bored

Location: Nocturnal Cauldrons Aflame Amidst The Northern Hellwitch's Perpetual Blasphemy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God created all. End of story.

God made man in His own image. Thus God was a man. Then, God is a man. HE!!!

@ThomYorke:

Deuteronomy 7:9
Know therefore that the LORD thy God, he is God, the faithful God, which keepeth covenant and mercy with them that love him and keep his commandments to a thousand generations;
London

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because Bible quotes mean something to Benk.

There are necessary things and contingent things, that is, things that depend on something else for their existence. We are all contingent beings, this laptop on which I'm typing is contingent, my desk is contingent, my room is contingent, this country, this continent, this planet, this galaxy is contingent. If all things in the universe are contingent, the universe itself can be called contingent. So on what does the universe depend for existence? Obviously, something necessary. Necessary things do not depend on other things for existence, as existence is part of their essence.

So what is this necessary thing? I don't know, and I'll never know and no one will ever know. Call it God if you want, but it's not the god that you associate with the word "god." Read on.

This is the strongest argument I've heard for something other worldly / supernatural. As far as I can tell, it's logically sound, and since there's nothing wrong with it, I suppose that I can say I believe in something fundamentally different from anything we can experience as human beings.

Note that this does not prove the existence of the Judeo-Christian god or any other religion's god. It's silly to think that out of all the places and times in the universe that some supernatural being decided to create this little planet and plant some life forms on it. The necessary thing proved by this argument is not man-shaped, it does not punish or reward or judge or rule. It simply exists and at some point created something.

Maybe the big bang? Anyway, note also that this does not contradict evolution.

I'm happy. I think.
ThomYorke
I dream of mod position

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheNightRider wrote:
@ThomYorke:

Deuteronomy 7:9
Know therefore that the LORD thy God, he is God, the faithful God, which keepeth covenant and mercy with them that love him and keep his commandments to a thousand generations;

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
Gothic_Vampire_Empath
Newb

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As we commemorate the birth of Jesus Christ two millennia ago, we offer our testimony of the reality of His matchless life and the infinite virtue of His great atoning sacrifice. None other has had so profound an influence upon all who have lived and will yet live upon the earth.

He was the Great Jehovah of the Old Testament, the Messiah of the New. Under the direction of His Father, He was the creator of the earth. “All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made” (John 1:3). Though sinless, He was baptized to fulfill all righteousness. He “went about doing good” (Acts 10:38), yet was despised for it. His gospel was a message of peace and goodwill. He entreated all to follow His example. He walked the roads of Palestine, healing the sick, causing the blind to see, and raising the dead. He taught the truths of eternity, the reality of our premortal existence, the purpose of our life on earth, and the potential for the sons and daughters of God in the life to come.

He instituted the sacrament as a reminder of His great atoning sacrifice. He was arrested and condemned on spurious charges, convicted to satisfy a mob, and sentenced to die on Calvary’s cross. He gave His life to atone for the sins of all mankind. His was a great vicarious gift in behalf of all who would ever live upon the earth.

We solemnly testify that His life, which is central to all human history, neither began in Bethlehem nor concluded on Calvary. He was the Firstborn of the Father, the Only Begotten Son in the flesh, the Redeemer of the world.

He rose from the grave to “become the firstfruits of them that slept” (1 Corinthians 15:20). As Risen Lord, He visited among those He had loved in life. He also ministered among His “other sheep” (John 10:16) in ancient America. In the modern world, He and His Father appeared to the boy Joseph Smith, ushering in the long-promised “dispensation of the fulness of times” (Ephesians 1:10).

Of the Living Christ, the Prophet Joseph wrote: “His eyes were as a flame of fire; the hair of his head was white like the pure snow; his countenance shone above the brightness of the sun; and his voice was as the sound of the rushing of great waters, even the voice of Jehovah, saying:

“I am the first and the last; I am he who liveth, I am he who was slain; I am your advocate with the Father” (D&C 110:3–4).

Of Him the Prophet also declared: “And now, after the many testimonies which have been given of him, this is the testimony, last of all, which we give of him: That he lives!

“For we saw him, even on the right hand of God; and we heard the voice bearing record that he is the Only Begotten of the Father—

“That by him, and through him, and of him, the worlds are and were created, and the inhabitants thereof are begotten sons and daughters unto God” (D&C 76:22–24).

We declare in words of solemnity that His priesthood and His Church have been restored upon the earth—“built upon the foundation of … apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone” (Ephesians 2:20).

We testify that He will someday return to earth. “And the glory of the Lord shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together” (Isaiah 40:5). He will rule as King of Kings and reign as Lord of Lords, and every knee shall bend and every tongue shall speak in worship before Him. Each of us will stand to be judged of Him according to our works and the desires of our hearts.

We bear testimony, as His duly ordained Apostles—that Jesus is the Living Christ, the immortal Son of God. He is the great King Immanuel, who stands today on the right hand of His Father. He is the light, the life, and the hope of the world. His way is the path that leads to happiness in this life and eternal life in the world to come. God be thanked for the matchless gift of His divine Son.
As we commemorate the birth of Jesus Christ two millennia ago, we offer our testimony of the reality of His matchless life and the infinite virtue of His great atoning sacrifice. None other has had so profound an influence upon all who have lived and will yet live upon the earth.

He was the Great Jehovah of the Old Testament, the Messiah of the New. Under the direction of His Father, He was the creator of the earth. “All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made” (John 1:3). Though sinless, He was baptized to fulfill all righteousness. He “went about doing good” (Acts 10:38), yet was despised for it. His gospel was a message of peace and goodwill. He entreated all to follow His example. He walked the roads of Palestine, healing the sick, causing the blind to see, and raising the dead. He taught the truths of eternity, the reality of our premortal existence, the purpose of our life on earth, and the potential for the sons and daughters of God in the life to come.

He instituted the sacrament as a reminder of His great atoning sacrifice. He was arrested and condemned on spurious charges, convicted to satisfy a mob, and sentenced to die on Calvary’s cross. He gave His life to atone for the sins of all mankind. His was a great vicarious gift in behalf of all who would ever live upon the earth.

We solemnly testify that His life, which is central to all human history, neither began in Bethlehem nor concluded on Calvary. He was the Firstborn of the Father, the Only Begotten Son in the flesh, the Redeemer of the world.

He rose from the grave to “become the firstfruits of them that slept” (1 Corinthians 15:20). As Risen Lord, He visited among those He had loved in life. He also ministered among His “other sheep” (John 10:16) in ancient America. In the modern world, He and His Father appeared to the boy Joseph Smith, ushering in the long-promised “dispensation of the fulness of times” (Ephesians 1:10).

Of the Living Christ, the Prophet Joseph wrote: “His eyes were as a flame of fire; the hair of his head was white like the pure snow; his countenance shone above the brightness of the sun; and his voice was as the sound of the rushing of great waters, even the voice of Jehovah, saying:

“I am the first and the last; I am he who liveth, I am he who was slain; I am your advocate with the Father” (D&C 110:3–4).

Of Him the Prophet also declared: “And now, after the many testimonies which have been given of him, this is the testimony, last of all, which we give of him: That he lives!

“For we saw him, even on the right hand of God; and we heard the voice bearing record that he is the Only Begotten of the Father—

“That by him, and through him, and of him, the worlds are and were created, and the inhabitants thereof are begotten sons and daughters unto God” (D&C 76:22–24).

We declare in words of solemnity that His priesthood and His Church have been restored upon the earth—“built upon the foundation of … apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone” (Ephesians 2:20).

We testify that He will someday return to earth. “And the glory of the Lord shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together” (Isaiah 40:5). He will rule as King of Kings and reign as Lord of Lords, and every knee shall bend and every tongue shall speak in worship before Him. Each of us will stand to be judged of Him according to our works and the desires of our hearts.

We bear testimony, as His duly ordained Apostles—that Jesus is the Living Christ, the immortal Son of God. He is the great King Immanuel, who stands today on the right hand of His Father. He is the light, the life, and the hope of the world. His way is the path that leads to happiness in this life and eternal life in the world to come. God be thanked for the matchless gift of His divine Son.

I do not know how anyone can not believe. I do not understand how anyone can ignore His work. I shall not and can not ever deny His Glory and Power. I love him with every particle of my being, and yet, He loves me more.

Merry Christmas and may His love, if you reach for it, keep you warm this Christmas!
London

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I know I can be long winded sometimes, but I don't understand why you think anyone's going to read that.
ThomYorke
I dream of mod position

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

London wrote:
Okay, I know I can be long winded sometimes, but I don't understand why you think anyone's going to read that.

Selphius
Very bored

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously. If I wanted to listen to that I'd go to church. LOL. *cough* Actually that tl;dr crap up yonder wasn't... even an arguement? On topic? Just more Christian ass-kisserey.

My mother is my god. Haw haw haw.
0purple0gone0wild0
Newb

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

London wrote:

There are necessary things and contingent things, that is, things that depend on something else for their existence. We are all contingent beings, this laptop on which I'm typing is contingent, my desk is contingent, my room is contingent, this country, this continent, this planet, this galaxy is contingent. If all things in the universe are contingent, the universe itself can be called contingent. So on what does the universe depend for existence? Obviously, something necessary. Necessary things do not depend on other things for existence, as existence is part of their essence.

So what is this necessary thing? I don't know, and I'll never know and no one will ever know. Call it God if you want, but it's not the god that you associate with the word "god." Read on.

This is the strongest argument I've heard for something other worldly / supernatural. As far as I can tell, it's logically sound, and since there's nothing wrong with it, I suppose that I can say I believe in something fundamentally different from anything we can experience as human beings.

Note that this does not prove the existence of the Judeo-Christian god or any other religion's god. It's silly to think that out of all the places and times in the universe that some supernatural being decided to create this little planet and plant some life forms on it. The necessary thing proved by this argument is not man-shaped, it does not punish or reward or judge or rule. It simply exists and at some point created something.

Maybe the big bang? Anyway, note also that this does not contradict evolution.

I'm happy. I think.

I like this idea!
TheWolfsFang
Forum Scalleywag

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WARNING: THIS IS BARELY RELATED TO ABOVE TOPIC. I WOULDN'T SUGGEST YOU READ IT AT ALL.

My ever-changing Philosophie on "God": Yes, there is a God. No, he isn't what the Christians think him to be. He may not be a "He", and "He" probobly doesn't even have a gender. He DOES have favorites, but I doubt it's Humans. I don't think he's even still paying attention to us, He's gone on and made better things. I believe in Armagedeon, and I also think that that'll be the day either everyone Nukes each other, the Ozone collapses, or the sun blows up.

My point is He's probably not around anymore, and even if he is, we shouldn't be worrying about Him.
0purple0gone0wild0
Newb

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting...I like that idea too. Well, maybe not like, but I believe it.
TheWolfsFang
Forum Scalleywag

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, there's not much to like. If that's true, then the entire human race is boned.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Philosophical All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: