Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Windows Vista

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Computer Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trinity_Fire
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Windows Vista Reply with quote

Whoo, here comes an idiot. Anyway, I don't know much in the way of computer stuff, so try to keep the jargon and whatnot to a minimum.
My parents just bought me a Vista laptop for when I go to college (early, yeah, but whatever...) I'm wondering whether or not I should keep it, or if we should try to return it. The stores all sell laptops with Vista, but I've heard it's annoying and pretty much incompatible with just about everything. I'm not too big on sudden changes, seeing as to how I can barely navigate the new Microsoft Word.

I'm just wondering, do you think it's worth it to stick with the Vista and get used to it? (Not to sound like I'm complaining; I can get used to changes, I just don't know if I want this type of laptop for years if I can't add any new programs to it.)
I'm going to be trying things out on it later today, but just for starters, does anyone know exactly what its limitations are?

I'm interested in:
Being able to play my music files, both Windows Media Player, iTunes, etc... (I just know I have a handful of files that WMP can't play but iTunes can)
Hooking up a tablet? I don't currently own a tablet, so if I WERE to buy one eventually, would it possibly come with a driver or whatever you need to make it compatible with Vista?
Photoshop? Open Canvas? Stuff like that?

Sorry; I'm really not too eloquent with computer terms, so I'm just asking for a quick brush-over of the facts.
Thanks!
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a frequent computer tech guy, I can answer most of your questions.
Vista isn't all that it was cracked out to be (thats for sure on both good and bad terms.)

since the first release the vista platform has seem many many updates, this includes whole build updates. the first build release was... 5.11 I think, and it is now 6. something

It does, now, accommodate many of the older programs used in XP, there are still minor bugs.
The biggest problem with vista is that the grade of hardware (thats the computers' physical parts) required to handle the operating system had to be much much higher than what they where for Win XP.
Since the hard ware had advanced so much some of the other proprietary hardware, like printers and external devices, can no longer be used.

Some of the systems settings can be changed to, at least, resemble the older versions of windows.
My advice to you is explore it a bit and get the feel of it, there are plenty of help places on the net now days the can help with specific problems that you may come to, just google them Razz

My reason for saying this is that if you get a computer from a local store imaged with something like XP you may still have some external hard ware problems because manufacturers have all switched to higher grade/quality parts for vista. This also means that your XP would be loaded with mostly proprietary drivers for your hardware, so things like upgrades won't go as well.

Vista IS already tablet PC compatible and you should have drivers sufficient if your tablet doesn't come with drivers. and as far as I know, Photoshop CS2 (and up), the Macromedia 8 (and up) sets work. like I said, much of the software used in XP works.

New things take time to get used to, take it from an expert. I'll even have to take a new a+ certification test soon. Sad

It really isn't as bad as people say. In fact most opinions come from people who DON'T have vista, so they can really only give what they heard from the next guy.

For kicks and giggles:
When they debuted the new (very first version) Windows Vista software, it crashed just as Bill Gates unveiled it to an entire room of big wigs. Razz

Last edited by Sora121 on Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
cstdenis
Evil Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get rid of vista. Upgrade to XP.
Fayore

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My parents bought me a laptop for the same reason. I've been using it since the start of the term, and I like it enough.

I do have a tablet installed on it. For most stuff, you can find vista updates on the developer's site or whatever, so it's not a big deal. I haven't tried installing photoshop yet, but other programs that were designed for XP or summat have been working fine for me. Not a single problem in sight, although recently it's been crashing a lot. That's more my fault, though, so don't worry about it.

I think it should be fine in general unless you're doing heavy duty stuff, which... no one does on a laptop, lol.

Also, it's really really pretty (imo), so if you're a petty person like me... all systems go, lol.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sora121
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cstdenis wrote:
Get rid of vista. Upgrade to XP.

Lol, forget about both of them, Go Linux.
Trinity_Fire
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, thanks a lot. Um, Fayore, when you bought your Vista... did you have to pay separately for Word? D: The thing says I have to have some code and I never got one in the box I think... and trying to install an older version of Windows didn't work. :/

It is very pretty, and I'm sure I can get used to it. I guess the future will be Vista, so I might as well get started. I'm just glad to hear that a lot of the facts are myths. I think I'll be all right with this once I get used to it. : )

Thanks a lot, everybody!
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, sadly, windows does not bundle their lovely software (Office) with windows.
You've got to pay for it.
PrincessThug
Very Oldbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a Vista, too my parents say it's for college or what not, but I'm 15...sooo this piece of @^*% has to last.
Sora121
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its just another OS.
Edward_Elric_1308
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I'm wondering about this too. Will my Photoshop Elements 5.0 software be compatible with Windows Vista? Also, with my HP scanner work with that, too? See, I don't know that much about Vista and I'm getting a new computer and all, so I am completely confused about this.
Sora121
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never used elements 5.0 but if its a connection with CS2 and above it should work.

Same goes for your scanner, if its a newer model, say with in the last 2/3years it should still work fine, provided you have software for it, I can't say much for software.

You may want to check the HP site regarding software/driver upgrades for your scanner.
feathershadow
Newb

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got this laptop sic months ago and in the first month, I got a virus. Vista downloaded it itself from the internet. Luckily it was easy to fix but if you be careful on the web vista isn't that hard. Although I called it evil for weeks.
Edward_Elric_1308
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woah, big time necromanced thread. Please don't bump topics if there has not been any replies for a year.
Kirbyt
Still very bored

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother got a Windows Vista as a laptop.
Jhihmoac

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never used Vista...after disaster with old ME, I had used 2K up until little or no support came from MS (about 7 years)...I use XP on DT...and since I have no choice right now...Win7 on laptop...

I'd kill for a Mac...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Computer Help All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: