Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
give everyone guns
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Politics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thedudedisturbed
Has No Life

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: give everyone guns Reply with quote

would it be INCREDIBLY illogical to make it law for everyone over a certain age to be trained to use and carry a firearm?

my reasoning
- everyone has a gun, everyone has a means of defense, at nearly all times.

-since everyone has a gun, the playing field is level. to beat a regular hand gun, you need automatic weapons shotguns etc. which are(mostly) harder to conceal, people are more likely to see bogies coming.(well, kinda, you don't know if they're gunna shoot, but you can see they have big guns, so you can watch em)

-whos gonna go around holding up people when they know that the law requires everyone else to carry a weapon.

flaws

-everyone has a gun, even people who probably shouldn't have them, like stressed and crazy soccer moms, who might start up a warzone in wal-mart.

-more likely child might get a hold of gun.

-general chaos because everyone has a gun

what are your thoughts on how and how not this could work?
would this be insane, or maybe feasible?
You probably recognize a pattern beginning to take shape. Not of the Fibonacci variety either, where said repetitions are woven into the very fabric of nature in some kind of cosmic mathematical coincidence that makes you wonder if there really is a design to everything after all, but more of Grandmother's quilt variety, where said repetition makes you wonder where in the world people can purchase such hideous floral pastel patterns and why they think you'll want to display them in your living room.
SilverKitsune
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stupid.

No one needs a gun at all times maybe at home for protection if something ever happened, but even then, material objects are never worth ones life Rolling Eyes

xAmiDarkfieldx wrote:
"Your a bird, I'm a cat of the jungle. Birds can't get pregnant last I checked. They lay eggs."
bowiegranap
Very bored

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: give everyone guns Reply with quote

thedudedisturbed wrote:
would it be INCREDIBLY illogical to make it law for everyone over a certain age to be trained to use and carry a firearm?

Several countries make service to the military mandatory, while others have mandatory RoTC. I know how to strip and fire an M16, even if I don't own a gun.

That being said, I don't support mandatory gun lessons for civilians.

Quote:

- everyone has a gun, everyone has a means of defense, at nearly all times.

I don't want a society where everyone uses a gun to defend themselves "at nearly all times", because all too often the guns aren't used for defense. The countries where guns are easily obtained by civilians are also the countries with the greatest amount of gun-related crimes.

Quote:
see bogies coming

:lolwutplz: (sorry, been hanging around DA)

Great, just what I need -- going to a mall feeling like I'm going to a warzone/stripper joint and eyeing what everyone is packing. "Is that an automatic weapon under your coat or are you just glad to see me?"
Brianhjh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This law discriminates amputees, blinds, and pretty much anyone over the age of 65 and under 18.

Those people tend to be the ones that need protection.
London

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of the stupidest suggestions I've ever heard.

Oh, you're from Alabama.
London

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In countries with mandatory military service usually it's just the men, and you don't necessarily end up going through combat training and what not. The army needs desk workers, too.
Brianhjh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad had a poor eyesight, so he ended up being the military engineer and trainee logistician.

This is South Korea, BTW, where they have 2.2 year mandatory military service.

his colleagues went into the actual military, and 20 years later, BAM, AIDS.
London

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad had poor eyesight, but can speak five thousand languages, so he ended up doing translation work.

This is Singapore, BTW, where they have 2 year mandatory military service.

My parents had to cancel my brother's citizenship last month so he wouldn't get shipped to the other side of the world when he turned 18.
thedudedisturbed
Has No Life

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay. yeah, I see everyone's point. thanks for taking the time to correct me.
You probably recognize a pattern beginning to take shape. Not of the Fibonacci variety either, where said repetitions are woven into the very fabric of nature in some kind of cosmic mathematical coincidence that makes you wonder if there really is a design to everything after all, but more of Grandmother's quilt variety, where said repetition makes you wonder where in the world people can purchase such hideous floral pastel patterns and why they think you'll want to display them in your living room.
UnderUnion
Very bored

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think everyone should get some training with firearms, and if not, at LEAST self defense classes.
Quote:
Stupid.

No one needs a gun at all times maybe at home for protection if something ever happened, but even then, material objects are never worth ones life
this is VERY true, but dont paint a picture that people can take what ever they want.
Quote:
This is one of the stupidest suggestions I've ever heard.
lol
SilverKitsune
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UnderUnion wrote:
No one needs a gun at all times maybe at home for protection if something ever happened, but even then, material objects are never worth ones life
this is VERY true, but dont paint a picture that people can take what ever they want.[/quote]

don't paint a picture that people can take what ever they want? You mean we don't have police?

people can't/do not have guns =/= people believing they can take what ever they want without consequences, k?

xAmiDarkfieldx wrote:
"Your a bird, I'm a cat of the jungle. Birds can't get pregnant last I checked. They lay eggs."
UnderUnion
Very bored

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats not what I meant, just dont make yourself a target. Give some defense, like what to do, as in call 911, and make your home harder to break in or have a decent security system. And yes we do have police, but they don't always get there in time. This has warped off topic though, sorry all.
London

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You act as if everyone in America can afford things like that.
SilverKitsune
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UnderUnion wrote:
Thats not what I meant, just dont make yourself a target. Give some defense, like what to do, as in call 911, and make your home harder to break in or have a decent security system. And yes we do have police, but they don't always get there in time. This has warped off topic though, sorry all.

Duh, and all that goes without a gun.

I never said to be a target, I said that material objects are not worth ones life.

xAmiDarkfieldx wrote:
UnderUnion
Very bored

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never said that you did Silver, merely added dont give them opportunity to break in(more specificaly use the gun on you) And once again, I agree material objects arent worth life which isnt replaceable.

No not everyone in America can afford things like security systems, I can't, but you can be aware. So that you will at least know what to do in a situation.

Not trying to argue with anyone, just putting out some points.
Horgh
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Required gun laws actually decreased crimes. Statistics don't lie.
Selphius
Very bored

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horgh wrote:

They do if they aren't real.
SilverKitsune
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horgh wrote:

it would be better if you actually showed the stats.

Also, if it were better, It would already have been done.

xAmiDarkfieldx wrote:
setzaroth
Cold Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm...yes guns. It all depends on where you live and how much you value your life i suppose.

taking away guns would be rediculous, because all the law abiding citizens would give them up, and all the gangas would get automatics off the black market... Rolling Eyes
bowiegranap
Very bored

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anything, it means that anyone carrying a gun is automatically a criminal and easily spotted.

Its also probably way every "ganga" in japan (which has one of the strictest gun laws in the world) carries a gun. Yeah, baby! Gun crime is up because only criminals carry guns while law-abiding citizens don't!

Oh, wait...

There's also the matter where the headline making- gun related crimes are done by people who obtained them legally.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Politics All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: