Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Everything in general and detail

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Computer Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SharinganKakashi
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: Everything in general and detail Reply with quote

Is anyone out there willing to teach me more about computers I know what I need to know but I want to learn more It'd be much aprechitated (Spell)

"Question everything. Learn something. Answer nothing."
- Engineer's Motto
London

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think of particular things you suck at, then ask for help. "Tell me everything" is way too vague.
Sora121
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here is everything in a nutshell.

You can never learn everything, because while your learning, whatever it is that you're learning is becoming outdated, in mere weeks...
If you plan on going into a computer technicians field of work I would recommend you learn how to deal with [b]Windows XP[/b] as a main stream thing, and then pick at [b]Vista[/b], since the two aren't very different except in the way you move around the OS (Operating System) that includes basically the GUI (Graphical User Interface) on it.

Another fine point, make Google your best friend, as it can answer any and all questions when you look hard enough.
The world of computers is large and very complex, so you've got to be ready to take in anything at any given moment and always willing to learn (since you'll never stop...)

You must also know the difference between hardware and software (Duh) and the problems that both can cause and be effected by. In other lines of work, such as programing, you've got to know your limits and such. This would include how the computer communicates to the software and other pieces of hardware.
The span of things in this field is very very large, and can't be thoroughly expressed in such a small space as this. So, like London said, find out some terms and areas of interest. Once you've got that, find out what you do and don't know and ask for help.

BTW, I hope this block-o-graph of pain helps you to see just how vast these fields are. There is so much more I could have typed If I felt like it... Confused
cstdenis
Evil Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read and memorize the entire internet.

You can start here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_basic_computer_science_topics
SharinganKakashi
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres nothing that I suck at because I dont know enough to suck at anything anyway I'm aware that it is a large field but I have to start somewere. oh and I'l check in to that wikipedia file Anywere in paticular you'd like to recommend after I'v finished it?

- Engineer's Motto
Sora121
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't really ask another person to simply hand you an interest.

The key is to find something that just interests you and look into it. You'll always need the basics, so its good to know what your own computer can and can't do.
After you learn that, you'll have a good feel for the way things work on a single computer level, so try something different like how to set up a mainframe, or home server system.
SharinganKakashi
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK So If I'm intrested in programming were do you think I start? I know about C, C++, and Java but I don't know what to do after that.

- Engineer's Motto
Sora121
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question isn't whether you know of them, its if you know how to use them.
The C type language can get you into a good number of places, so if you want to program then start looking into the code language of your choice.

It ranges from:
C, C++, C#, JAVA(script), PHP, Ruby(on rails), etc.

All of those can be used to create computer applications, and even reach into web development. It depends on what interests you.
So the first choice to make when choosing what programing language to learn, is basically this. Do you want to program for websites, or computer applications?

Once you've chosen what one you want to look into, you've got to find out what other code languages (if any) you need.
SharinganKakashi
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I want to start with computer applications How do I find out what other code languages do I need?

- Engineer's Motto
London

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take computer engineering in college.
Sora121
Developer

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.
Unfortunately, good code compilers for application languages can cost you some limbs. Confused

You'll need a good computer and a good deal of time to learn as well.
Most computer programs are built with a C language so You'll need to start into C just to get the feel for it, and then Google on how to make actual programs.

From this point on I'm not much help to you. I don't do applications and stuff like that.
So like I said in my first post, make google your best friend. With the right wording in a search you'll find everything you need.
SharinganKakashi
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there is a problem with that I wont be in collage for like a year and I have everything planned out up until then Theres an entire year of my life that I have completely planned out I'd like to at least get the basic's in if I can.

- Engineer's Motto
cstdenis
Evil Overlord

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Sora121"]Yes.
Unfortunately, good code compilers for application languages can cost you some limbs. Confused [/quote]

Nothing wrong with gcc and vi
Sora121
Developer

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="cstdenis"][quote="Sora121"]Yes.
Unfortunately, good code compilers for application languages can cost you some limbs. Confused [/quote]

Nothing wrong with gcc and vi[/quote]

I never researched far enough into it to find free-ware compilers I guess.
I don't think I'll ever get much further into programing than just PHP, and basic JAVA. As far as knowing the language goes that is.

The way I see it, I've got the tricks of trade I need, so its time to move onto something else. Lol, I've been mechanical, architectural, technical, and now I think I'm going to try musical. Smile
cstdenis
Evil Overlord

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Borland has a free version of their IDE based C/C++ compiler.

Of course with an interpreted language like php you can easily use just something like notepad.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Computer Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: