Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Looking For A Drawing Tablet
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> General Art Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edward_Elric_1308
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Looking For A Drawing Tablet Reply with quote

[size=9](Yes, there's some threads like this but they're kinda old but I don't want to bump them.)[/size]

All righty, I have been saving up for a while now and I have $300+ (U.S.). Was gonna get a Nintendo Wii with that money, but changed my mind.

So I need your help you guys, especially people who have drawing tablets or have used one before.

I want to buy a drawing tablet so I can draw directly in Photoshop without the usage of a mouse. And I'm trying to not spend a whole lot of money.

I want to know:

[list=1]
[*]What are some good brands that are trustworthy and reliable?
[*]Will it be compatible with my Photoshop Elements 5.0 software?
[*]What are good sites to buy one from?
[*]What size should I get? Small, medium, or large?
[*]Are they difficult to use?
[*]Are they really worth buying?
[/list:o]

I also want to know will it be difficult to draw on it since tablets (none that I know of) don't have screens to show what you are drawing. I use a desktop computer, so I thought it would be awkward drawing on something that has no screen and having to look up at the monitor every few moments.

Need some help please!
Stratadrake
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally, Wacom tablets are the #1 name you ever hear of.

>> http://www.wacom.com/

Wacom's three primary lines of tablets are:

[list][*][b]Wacom Bamboo[/b]
http://www.wacom.com/bambootablet/bamboo.php
Your entry-level Wacom tablet. There are two versions, the "Bamboo" and the "Bamboo Fun", the latter being a little pricier but also comes with a few more features (and free bundled software). Still, pressure sensitivity (and even just the stylus itself) are the two main selling points for all Wacom tablets, the Bamboo is no exception in that regard and you won't get distracted or intimidated by any advanced features.

[*][b]Graphire[/b]
http://www.wacom.com/graphire/6x8_bt_tech_specs.php
Graphires used to be the entry-level for Wacom tablets, but that's basically been supplanted by the Bamboos.

[*][b]Intuos[/b]
http://www.wacom.com/intuos/index.php
Intuos is the 'professional grade' of Wacom tablets. Basically this means there's a much wider variety available (tablet sizes, accessories, etc.) . The tablet pads itself include more modifier keys and touch strips (which function similar to a mousewheel or scrollbar), and the Intuos stylus supports tilt control in addition to the usual pressure sensitivity.[/list:u]

As for software support, most Photoshop-caliber programs are designed to automatically detect and take advantage of an available tablet (when you move the stylus within range of the tablet, it overrides the mouse cursor) and utilize pressure sensitivity in the drawing/painting tools.
Strata here: [url=http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/242293]Nanowrimo[/url] - [url=www.fanart-central.net/user-Stratadrake.php]FAC[/url] - [url=http://stratadrake.deviantart.com]dA[/url] - [url=www.furaffinity.net/user/Stratadrake/]FA[/url]
[size=9]Disclaimer: Posts may contain URLs. Click [url=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TVTropesWillRuinYourLife]at your own risk.[/url][/size]
London

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wacom, yes, whatever, small-medium, you'll get used to it, yes.

There are some that have screens, but they're way out of your budget. You don't actually.. glance back and forth between your tablet and your screen, too. You don't even really look at your tablet.

You can actually find them at Best Buy or some place. If you want to order online, you might be able to get free shipping through Amazon.

Last edited by London on Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
bishielover75
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Bamboo. It took me forEVUH to get used to, but it's actually quite nice. I think they're only around 80 bucks, so they're cheap, and a good starter tool. I wouldn't recommend blowing all your money on something more advanced, because the basic works just fine, imho. If you're really going to spend a lot on a tablet, go the whole nine yards and get one of those fancy $2000 ones with the actual screen on it.
Edward_Elric_1308
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Stratadrake"][b]Wacom Bamboo[/b]
http://www.wacom.com/bambootablet/bamboo.php
Your entry-level Wacom tablet. There are two versions, the "Bamboo" and the "Bamboo Fun", the latter being a little pricier but also comes with a few more features (and free bundled software). Still, pressure sensitivity (and even just the stylus itself) are the two main selling points for all Wacom tablets, the Bamboo is no exception in that regard and you won't get distracted or intimidated by any advanced features.[/quote]

So far, I'm considering the Bamboo and [i]not[/i] the Bamboo Fun. I don't want to pay additional money for extra software (yeah, I'm cheap). I have a good art program already. The $79 Bamboo is a good deal. Cheaper than I thought it would be. But is the surface area small? Or does it really matter what the size is?

[quote="London"]You don't actually.. glance back and forth between your tablet and your screen, too. You don't even really look at your tablet. [/quote]

Sorry, I don't know a thing at all about drawing tablets. I've never used one, nor seen anyone using one in real life.

From the link Stratadrake gave me about the Bamboo tablet, I watched the video on there about it, and it helped give me a better understanding of how tablets work. The cursor follows your pen, and you use that to draw. It's almost the same as using a mouse, yet different.

[quote="bishielover75"]I wouldn't recommend blowing all your money on something more advanced, because the basic works just fine, imho. If you're really going to spend a lot on a tablet, go the whole nine yards and get one of those fancy $2000 ones with the actual screen on it.[/quote]

Yeah I agree. I just want something to get the job done and nothing extra advanced, because again, I am a complete n00b when it comes to tablets. Never owned one, never used one. And I can forget the ones with the screens.

So, now, the Bamboo is looking more appealing to me. If anyone has any additional comments, please let me know before I go and buy a tablet.
bishielover75
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The surface area (on mine, at least) is 4x6. It's small, but you get over it. I haven't found myself desiring anything bigger.
Edward_Elric_1308
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it doesn't really matter after all? I mean, when I draw on paper I use at least half of the surface area and crop the rest out on my scanner. The Bamboo I think is 7", but I am not sure.
London

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The size of your tablet does not limit how large your picture on the computer can be. The tablet is mapped to your monitor, not your picture.

I guess size would affect sensitivity or something. I've never tried a large tablet, so I don't know if it's worth the money. I would imagine not, as the one I'm using now works fine.
Edward_Elric_1308
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I see now. That makes sense. Sorry I'm a n00b to all this, I am really excited to possibly get one. My parents are urging me to buy one actually. Coulda bought a Wii, but art comes first in my life.

Thanks everyone for contributing! If you have anything else to add, please do! I would love to hear your suggestions.

[img]http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg245/EdwardElric1308/Smileys/chairdance.gif[/img]
Edward_Elric_1308
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I just bought the Bamboo Tablet online at the Wacom site, and hopefully it will arrive soon!
bishielover75
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woot :]

Just a word of warning, they're REALLY awkward to get used to. Like, really really awkward. You'll hate it at first, and want to put it in the box and never look at it again, but just keep trying. Once you realize what's going on with it it gets easier.
Brianhjh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in your thread, using the bamboo tablet.
Edward_Elric_1308
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="bishielover75"]Woot :]

Just a word of warning, they're REALLY awkward to get used to. Like, really really awkward. You'll hate it at first, and want to put it in the box and never look at it again, but just keep trying. Once you realize what's going on with it it gets easier.[/quote]

Thanks for telling me this. Everything that is new to you in life will be awkward. When you are a child, learning how to ride a bike without training wheels was awkward.

Like back in '06 when I got my Photoshop, I had no idea how to use it except for gradients, Lens Flare, and text, and I stuck to openCanvas. Finally I "weened" myself off oC, and started using PS more and more until I was able to figure out how things work.

Sorry for the tl;dr material above. In other words, if it is difficult to master at first, I am willing to practice everyday with it until I become better and better. I am not going to give up after one failed attempt and throw it in the closet and never use it again. I am willing to practice, because like they say, "Practice makes perfect".

Last edited by Edward_Elric_1308 on Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brianhjh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice watermark, there is a special place in hell reserved for people just like you.
Edward_Elric_1308
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....Okay....?
Edward_Elric_1308
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel really dumb when I ask this, but....

I got my Wacom in the mail two days ago, tried it out, and it works really well. But I have to get used to it.

Question: Is a Wacom's surface supposed to get scratched easily? (The area where you moved the pen on.) Mine has a few scratches from using it, and I am kinda worried about it.
Dark_Angel_Of_Light
Rejecting Your Masterpieces

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My screen is a little scratched, as well as having my pen being duller too. I think these things get worn over time, just like everything else.
London

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My graphire looked really scratched up when I retired it, but I found that it didn't really affect anything. The surface of my intuos feels different and has no scratches on it, so I think the scratch-ability varies by model.

The pen tip does wear down. Mine actually came with replacement tips for it.
Edward_Elric_1308
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good. Thanks a lot. Now I'm not worried anymore. Smile
Edward_Elric_1308
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="London"]The pen tip does wear down. Mine actually came with replacement tips for it.[/quote]

Another dumb n00bish question: How long does it take generally for a nib to wear down? Mine didn't come with replacements. Just the tablet, the pen, the USB cable, installer CD, and pen stand.

I also have a another question. Before I got the tablet I used a wireless mouse and once I installed the hardware of the tablet on my computer, my mouse doesn't function anymore even if the tablet is unplugged. What's up with that? I hate having to use the pen for a replacement for the mouse.

And thanks all who help answer my questions!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> General Art Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: