Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Using references and freestyle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Artistic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Felix121
Newb

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Using references and freestyle Reply with quote

So I'm really new to drawing and am really confused on how much credit really goes to drawing from references compared to simply freestyling. Obviously, you'd have to really know what your doing to draw off the top of your head and I just havn't gotton to that point yet. I guess what I'm trying to get at is if drawing good from reference is noteworthy or just something to practice with untill you get to freestyle.
London

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no shame in using a reference.
Felix121
Newb

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone were to draw a replica of someone elses work whether it be a how-to book or something else, can you really call it your own? That's what troubles me, I feel like I'm just copying what's not mine. But maybe I'm looking too much into this?
London

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as there's no tracing involved, I would say yes, you can call it your own. You're simply borrowing that person's pose or composition or something and using it to learn. I don't think it's any different from borrowing a character design when you do fanart. Surely no one's going to say a picture you drew of some anime character isn't your picture.

What would be [i]wrong[/i] is if you try to replicate someone else's work and not give that person credit for doing the original. It would also be wrong to try to make money off your copied work, even if you did credit your reference.

I think the exception to the above is if you're using a how-to-draw book. Nobody expects you to say "I learned how to draw this by following so and so's book." Same applies to "I learned how to draw this in art class so I should give credit to my teacher Mr./Ms. Namehere." It's always nice to acknowledge people who helped, but I don't think it's necessary in that scenario.
Felix121
Newb

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree with all of that. I'm just so new to this that I don't have any clue to what those "unwritten rules" are in using references.

Thanks for clarifying Smile
ThomYorke
I dream of mod position

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably should use a reference as much as possible. It really helps you get anatomy and shading and such right.
Remember, referencing =/= eyeballing
Felix121
Newb

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes alot of sense, thanks Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Artistic Help All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: