Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Flavored cigarettes banned
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Politics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThomYorke
I dream of mod position

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you realize how different opiates and tobacco are.

Tobacco harms your lungs and your wallet. Cocaine, opium, heroin and other opiates fuck with your mind and can potentially ruin your life.

I can understand why you would want to eradicate public smoking but... I don't see what's wrong with people hurting themselves and only themselves.

Also I think she means people smoke outside of Walmart?
xEdwardx
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, my bad.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
luckylace222
Site Helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I can understand why you would want to eradicate public smoking but... I don't see what's wrong with people hurting themselves and only themselves.

I don't understand why people think it's okay to hurt themselves in the first place. They think that what they do to their bodies affects them and only them. You can affect plenty of things with your choices. Children from families who smoke can develop asthma from secondhand smoke. The chemicals that are released into the air from smoking destroys the environment everyday. Cigarette butts are found everywhere we walk and can pollute our water and kill animals in their natural habitats. If you can just stop smoking for one day and keep going, you'll help plenty of things.

Also,

Quote:
Tobacco harms your lungs and your wallet. Cocaine, opium, heroin and other opiates $&#* with your mind and can potentially ruin your life.

Tobacco can mess with your mind AND ruin your life just like other drugs. It's not just the lungs, it's the heart, stomach, throat...etc. The tobacco can take your life and if not the tobacco, the disease you develop from it will.

I don't think YOU realize how dangerous tobacco really is.
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.” ~Theodore Roosevelt
ThomYorke
I dream of mod position

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I can see your other points but I'm still thinking that if we could get people to only physically hurt themselves then who gives a shit.

Quote:
Tobacco can mess with your mind AND ruin your life just like other drugs. It's not just the lungs, it's the heart, stomach, throat...etc. The tobacco can take your life and if not the tobacco, the disease you develop from it will.

I disagree. It can kill you but the only other way I can think of that it would ruin your life is if you were a professional singer.

I do realize how dangerous it is. I realize that I can die from smoking. I realize that I kind lose my throat. The only other person I live with is also a smoker. I just don't give a shit.
Brianhjh

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I don't think YOU realize how dangerous tobacco really is.

Nah... Obviously you've never smoked.

a lot of people know how dangerous it is, it's not a good reason for stopping though.

People play team sports, they get hurt, a lot. Why play them? You don't need to play rough team sports to get exercise, running or hiking is extremely safe. So why legalize sports?

Loud music concerts always damage your ears, permanently. Each concert you go add to the risk of losing the sense of hearing early. So why legalize rock concerts?

People do things that harm themselves everyday, for no concrete reasons, like tatoos, cosmetic surgery, going to taco bell, drinking, etc. etc.
luckylace222
Site Helper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I disagree. It can kill you but the only other way I can think of that it would ruin your life is if you were a professional singer.

Wha? The only way smoking could ruin your life is if you were a professional singer? With all the health risks a smoking person is putting on him/herself, they can develop any kind of cancer or disease that hinders them in work, whether they have an office job, athletes job, teacher job...When employees fail to work, they have to pay for sick days. Their deprived performance leads to a lack of quality and puts them at risk of losing their job.

You don't have to be a professional singer to let smoking get in the way of life. I know the amount of money smokers pay for their cigarettes isn't that nice either. The issue of money can always bring your life down, in addition to your health and career going down the drain.

Quote:
I do realize how dangerous it is. I realize that I can die from smoking. I realize that I kind lose my throat. The only other person I live with is also a smoker. I just don't give a @^*%.

I've always wanted to ask a smoker this. ;__; If you understand how much tobacco is messing with your body, and you know you have the power to stop your addiction and give yourself a healthier life, WHY KEEP DOING IT?(don't give me the nicotine crap!)
Quote:

People do things that harm themselves everyday, for no concrete reasons, like tatoos, cosmetic surgery, going to taco bell, drinking, etc. etc.

Tatoos, cosmetic surguery, going to toco bell(ha) are different then smoking a carcinogen that kills you internally. I guess I should have worded it differently. I don't understand why people purposely hurt themselves knowing that what they're doing won't help them whatsoever. People who play team sports develop bodily health by putting their muscles to work regularly and stimulate brain chemicals to heighten their mood. Tattoos, although are usually only there for appearances, hurt during the procedure and a little during inflammation. Smoking, on the other hand, damages you throughout your whole life without any personal/physical benefit whatsoever. The nicotine encourages the smoker to get more and more every time, but that pleasure is FALSE and instead brings down your life expectancy every time you breath it in.

Just because people somehow hurt themselves everyday doesn't mean tobacco should be overlooked on its effects over the population.

Quote:

No, I never have, and I never plan to. My dad smoked before though, but he quit. He told me, "It just wasn't worth it."
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.” ~Theodore Roosevelt
luckylace222
Site Helper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, that should say, "- appearances, hurt during the procedure and a little during inflammation."

;/ The text somehow translates into, ": p" lol
ThomYorke
I dream of mod position

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luckylace222 wrote:
Quote:

Wha? The only way smoking could ruin your life is if you were a professional singer? With all the health risks a smoking person is putting on him/herself, they can develop any kind of cancer or disease that hinders them in work, whether they have an office job, athletes job, teacher job...When employees fail to work, they have to pay for sick days. Their deprived performance leads to a lack of quality and puts them at risk of losing their job.

You don't have to be a professional singer to let smoking get in the way of life. I know the amount of money smokers pay for their cigarettes isn't that nice either. The issue of money can always bring your life down, in addition to your health and career going down the drain.

I still think you're overestimating this but I don't really have a good argument here so

Quote:
I do realize how dangerous it is. I realize that I can die from smoking. I realize that I kind lose my throat. The only other person I live with is also a smoker. I just don't give a @^*%.

I've always wanted to ask a smoker this. ;__; If you understand how much tobacco is messing with your body, and you know you have the power to stop your addiction and give yourself a healthier life, WHY KEEP DOING IT?(don't give me the nicotine crap!)[/quote]
I don't care.
Quote:

Tatoos, cosmetic surguery, going to toco bell(ha) are different then smoking a carcinogen that kills you internally. I guess I should have worded it differently. I don't understand why people purposely hurt themselves knowing that what they're doing won't help them whatsoever. People who play team sports develop bodily health by putting their muscles to work regularly and stimulate brain chemicals to heighten their mood. Tattoos, although are usually only there for appearances, the procedure and a little during inflammation. Smoking, on the other hand, damages you throughout your whole life without any personal/physical benefit whatsoever. The nicotine encourages the smoker to get more and more every time, but that pleasure is FALSE and instead brings down your life expectancy every time you breath it in. [/quote]

No personal benefit? You have clearly never consumed anything with niccotine in it. Smoking is very soothing.

Tattooing, tacobell and sports can all be addicting in their own way. Tacobell is probably the most important thing that Brian listed. Fast food is horrible and people feed it to their children. It isn't unlike how smokers give their kids secondhand smoke.

Also, tattoos can make it difficult to detect cancer or something.

Just because people somehow hurt themselves everyday doesn't mean tobacco should be overlooked on its effects over the population.

Quote:

No, I never have, and I never plan to. My dad smoked before though, but he quit. He told me, "It just wasn't worth it."[/quote]
luckylace222
Site Helper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
No personal benefit? You have clearly never consumed anything with niccotine in it. Smoking is very soothing.

Like I said, it's FALSE soothing and FALSE pleasure. It's the opposite. It kills you? Oh well, nevermind, you already know that.

LOL, the quotes went haywire.

Quote:
I don't care.

OK.
ThomYorke
I dream of mod position

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the fuck? It isn't false. It is a very real feeling in your head when you smoke a cigarette. I am not worried about dying young.
luckylace222
Site Helper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D; No, when I say false, I mean the feeling isn't real, natural pleasure. It's like false teeth. They act as a substitute as your real teeth, but they're not your real teeth. The false pleasure is pleasure stimulated by a carcinogen, but it's not natural pleasure. ;]
Brianhjh

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...what

depressants are depressants, it doesn't matter if body makes it or not, the feeling is real.

if you say that it's a false pleasure, then it's indistinguishable from the real thing, which makes the definition of "false" entirely pointless.

I think you are hopping on the idea that carcinogens ="do not follow law of nature" thing, but lots of other things are carcinogens too, like your wall insulators.

THAT WARMTH IN YOUR HOUSE IS FALSE WARMTH.
luckylace222
Site Helper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brianhjh wrote:
...what

depressants are depressants, it doesn't matter if body makes it or not, the feeling is real.

if you say that it's a false pleasure, then it's indistinguishable from the real thing, which makes the definition of "false" entirely pointless.

I think you are hopping on the idea that carcinogens ="do not follow law of nature" thing, but lots of other things are carcinogens too, like your wall insulators.

THAT WARMTH IN YOUR HOUSE IS FALSE WARMTH.

*slaps her forehead* ]x I don't want you to over think THAT much into my words. The focus was that tobacco wasn't giving you any personal/physical benefit whatsoever. Benk said that it WAS personal because the pleasure was soothing, and I told her it wasn't the natural soothing that could help at all. It was a false soothing that was only going to kill her anyways. What's all this insulation stuff? Nicotine's pleasure has its drawbacks, and the pleasure that you obtain without it definitely doesn't have as much.
Quote:

No, when I mean carcinogen, I mean carcinogen. xD
ThomYorke
I dream of mod position

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it makes me feel good it makes me feel good. I don't care if the cigarettes are lying to me.
Tinkster
Has No Life

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really in the end, it's your choice to smoke. your choice to ruin your body, and die.

Unless your immortal...then you can do what ever the hell you want to your body.
Music is the doorway to someones soul"
-ShadeArt
Brianhjh

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll probably die of heart attack before smoke-related diseases, it runs in my family.
Tinkster
Has No Life

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah well smoking inceases heart attacks...so if you want to die early.
-ShadeArt
ThomYorke
I dream of mod position

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to hear about your extremely healthy lifestyle.
Tinkster
Has No Life

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I don't think you do.
and just because people don't smoke doesn't mean they have an "extemely healthy lifestyle."
-ShadeArt
Brianhjh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but people are against smoking for it's detrimental effect on health. If you aren't conscious of your own health while berating on cigarettes, it seems hypocritical.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Politics All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: