Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Acting white and being stereotyped?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Politics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you feel that stereotypes are stupid and useless?
yes, they are meaningless,harmful,etc.
66%
 66%  [ 8 ]
no,they are helpful,good for growth,etc.
16%
 16%  [ 2 ]
I stand on the nuetral side
16%
 16%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 12

Xx_TheForgotten_xX
Very bored

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: Acting white and being stereotyped? Reply with quote

This may be misplaced, but it had to be said sooner or later.

According to economist Roland G. Fryer, Jr., some of the behaviors commonly viewed as acting white are:

Getting high grades in classes.
Speaking standard American English.
Using strict diction in one's words.
Answering questions asked by the teacher in class.
Enrolling in Advanced Placement or Honors classes.
Shopping at The Gap or Abercrombie & Fitch for clothes.
Avoiding wearing clothes from FUBU and Tommy Hilfiger.
Wearing shorts in Winter.
(gathered info from news reports, various online sources, etc.)

So I've been wondering, why are humans so keen to stereotyping?

And the term "acting white", why is it the whites that are now the "bad" group that owes everyone for everything?

Any thoughts on this?
London

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The list is silly and is only somewhat applicable to some teenage Americans living in certain areas of the country and whose parents are upper-middle to upper class.

Quote:
And the term "acting white", why is it the whites that are now the "bad" group that owes everyone for everything?
Whites pushed the Muslims and Jews out of the Iberian Peninsula, were the aggressors in the Crusades, raped Africa and brought slavery to the Americas, raged war on and marginalized Native Americans, seized control of India, forced opium on China, were responsible for the Holocaust, etc etc etc.

In America specifically it's easy to see why white people are the ones that "owe" something. It'll be a long time before the country completely gets over the Civil War and even after the war it took forever for African Americans to get the same treatment as whites nationwide. Even today you still have KKK members and crazies with the Confederate flag on their wall.

In short, white people have a history of invading and using.. everybody for their own commercial and religious purposes. Obviously white people aren't the only people who did that, but they were responsible for most of that sort of activity in recent memory.
London

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poll question is kinda odd. I've never seen anyone try to defend the act of stereotyping.
xEdwardx
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol I do none of those things on that list.
Very bored

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

London wrote:
Poll question is kinda odd. I've never seen anyone try to defend the act of stereotyping.

I've seen and heard of a few individuals that will defend that stereotyping is either distorted or that it is not wrong.

covering the bases.
Aren
Has No Life

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that's acting "white", least it's better than acting "black".
That's just my opinion though. Cool

But seriously, we need stereotypes. Without them, the world would be very dull and boring. We couldn't refer to anyone as "That nice guy", or "That mean guy", because that'd be stereotyping. Regardless of how small, nice, or evil the intentions for refering to them are.

Last edited by Aren on Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
ThomYorke
I dream of mod position

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren wrote:
that's just my opinion though. Cool

This phrase, and phrases like it, mean "I just said something really insulting but it's ok to say anything I want because I am an individual."
Aren
Has No Life

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThomYorke wrote:
Aren wrote:
that's just my opinion though. B)

This phrase, and phrases like it, mean "I just said something really insulting but it's ok to say anything I want because I am an individual."

Whatever floats your boat. You can't make people change their ways, so might as well flow with it, however arrogant/ignorant that may have sounded, i'm just pointing out facts.
ThomYorke
I dream of mod position

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you know what that word means.
Aren
Has No Life

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious, but who the hell wears shorts in winter? Thats as bad as wearing socks with sandals.
luckylace222
Site Helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen it before. xD People can do a lot of interesting things.

I still tend to wonder why girls at school wear flipflops in the middle of Winter and complain about their feet being cold.
luckylace222
Site Helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and about the stereotyping thing.

Stereotyping is kinda universal. I like to think that people do it just for the laughs, but it's kinda gotten exaggerated over the years. People who want to ridicule others make up a social "judgment" that people can't escape from, and that's a "stereotype."

A "nerd" can at first mean that you're smart and you work hard in school, but people have added extra tidbits that they still live with their mothers, are obsessed with computers, wear braces, and stay in the house all day. The people who created "nerd" may have been angry seeing someone make high grades, as opposed to themselves who don't work hard enough and make much lower ones. So they want to push the guilt away from themselves, making the person who makes them angry feel different and hated.

Basically, a stereotype is always created for a reason, and most of the time, it's usually to ridicule someone. However, I'm not so sure about that white thing. I haven't heard much of that where I live. ;[ Rather, I hear, "You're being very black." XD The opposite.
Xx_TheForgotten_xX
Very bored

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren wrote:
If that's acting "white", least it's better than acting "black".
That's just my opinion though. B)

But seriously, we need stereotypes. Without them, the world would be very dull and boring. We couldn't refer to anyone as "That nice guy", or "That mean guy", because that'd be stereotyping. Regardless of how small, nice, or evil the intentions for refering to them are.

Opinions are taken inot consideration, but racist or streotypical opinions are usually ignored and frowned upon.
SILK
Forum contributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah and have you notice how lazy the green people are and don't get me started on the blue people(god i cant stand them)

retarded,..............yeah well so is stereotyping people

i let peoples own actions speak for them before i judge them.

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us." -Marianne Williamson-
Brianhjh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opening statement sounds a lot like your typical Asian guy living in Canada in his early 20's, posting in this topic.
Stratadrake
Grammar nazi
(and proud of it)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

London wrote:
Whites pushed the Muslims and Jews out of the Iberian Peninsula...
In short, white people have a history of invading and using.. everybody for their own commercial and religious purposes.

We should research how the Muslims got into the Iberian peninsula to begin with. Every race has its aggressors, but Caucasians are about the most widespread, and nonetheless responsible for a lot.
Fayore

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly aside/off topic, but anyone interested in seeing why the phrase "my opinion" doesn't particularly hold any water in discussions might want to see this article: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/guest_contributors/article467194.ece

Stereotyping is a natural phenomenon that occurs because the human brain requires a "filing system" to help itself make sense of things; it's something that simply happens because we're so inundated with information every moment of our waking lives. Our brains would short circuit if there weren't such a system in place.

Stereotyping itself isn't the problem, it's when people act on these prejudices (discrimination) when the problem occurs.

I think [the OP's] idea of "whites owing everyone everything" is more a matter that's specific to North America (particularly the US), and maybe some parts of Europe. I wouldn't say that Caucasians as a race are particularly conceived to be a terrible people world-wide; the Scandinavian countries are well-known for their humanitarian efforts and while their history isn't snow white, most of their indiscretions have been against other Caucasian groups. That's just one example.

More importantly, I think, is the OP's choice of wording; it implies a slightly defensive nature to me. It has never been that whites "are now" the group that "owes everyone everything"; they've always been the perpetrators on a massive/grand scale of what is seen to be unjust in current times, both in history and today. It's just that the current era (due in no small part to technology and internationalization, I would think) is beginning to change its thought patterns.

And. It's not as though "white" people are off the hook yet, so to speak, even if they are sorry for past transgressions. Countries like America and the Commonwealth nations discriminate against smaller groups on a day-to-day basis, not only as societies, but as actual countries. For example, laws are constructed to control movement of people-- specific people, especially women and children. Tamil refugees from Sri Lanka are frequently rejected at their port of arrival. Due to the very nature of America's immigration laws, it's been labeled "Fortress America". Same stands for "Fortress Europe", of course.

I note two very recent events in which ships carrying refugees are halted: one at Vancouver, Canada, and one in Australia. While I don't know the news on the ship in Vancouver, I do know that the person responsible for overseeing/solving this problem in Australia has arranged for the refugees to be shipped to Indonesia, where it is public knowledge that these people will experience physical/emotional/sexual abuse at detention centres. Does Australia care (or, I suppose, its representative)? Not really, it just wants these terrorists away from the country.

The only thing we know is that these people are refugees from Sri Lanka, and that's enough to want to turn them away.

I swear to god I will pop a vein if I keep talking about the immigration laws/policies of the Western countries, so.

How about that Fort Hood? The media's having a field day with just this guy's name (Nidal Malik Hassan), and I've heard reports that that people've started saying that he's Muslim and have called for a personal history check of every Muslim man in America. Wait, I think it was a commentator on Fox News? (lol, Fox News) But there are people who watch that drivel, and a lot of them. The fact that this commentator thought it relevant to voice this on nation-wide television probably means something.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
unfocused

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother was stationed in Fort Hood. Not at time of the incident, though. They're trying to send him back overseas right now :/

I was actually waiting for someone to mention "Muslim." But I'm sure we all were.

EDIT: Thanks for the "Sorry, but you are not entitled to your opinion" article, lol.
Tinkster
Has No Life

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh here's a good Stereo type.
Some country's are always hot or cold. okay yes some countries are always hot and cold.
iceland - cold
Africa - hot
Canada - ...Not always cold! y'know we do get florida weather here. we don't live in igloos.
Music is the doorway to someones soul"
-ShadeArt
London

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lies! All lies! All Canadians live in ingloos and club seals for their food. And so much time and energy is spent on hockey and curling that they can't make milk cartons or produce tv shows on their own.

Trust me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Politics All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: