Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Hypnomedia
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Philosophical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HoBunny
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Hypnomedia Reply with quote

Have you ever noticed how movies, music, and books throw off your mood and make you beleive life is good like your a character in a movie? Well your not. Thats not how life is. Although it may give you a sudden burst of excitement into a good mood, its not true, and the things you do while your in this media inhanced mood will often lead to regret in he future.
I this is why i say i don't like movies or music.
ThomYorke
I dream of mod position

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's like someone was really enjoying a bowl of soup and then you walked up and pissed in it.

Fuck you ;_;
HoBunny
Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its lke saying I'm being a downer for amitting santa is not real. Eventually, your going to have to fess up that your life, no matter what mood your in, is not like a song or movie. The sooner you realize this th better. It prevents a lot of regrets.
ThomYorke
I dream of mod position

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How am I supposed to enjoy art if I can't do that?

I mean, fuck, it's not like everyone thinks that they're movie characters.

EDIT:
Quote:
It prevents a lot of regrets.

What?
HoBunny
Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WEll if your not relating to your life as a movie then this shouldn't really apply to you
ThomYorke
I dream of mod position

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really think it would be impossible to enjoy music if you couldn't relate to it.

And... I'm fairly certain that no one begins to believe that they're characters in a movie while they watch it. BUTYOUKNOW I can't even tell if that's what you're trying to say because your posts are fucking hard to read.
HoBunny
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well if theyre too hard too read and im making you unhappy why bother
ThomYorke
I dream of mod position

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well what the fuck am I supposed to do at 11 PM on a Sunday?
HoBunny
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Say %#^% A lot? Idk
luckylace222
Site Helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had a movie change my mood THAT much. Movies have made me feel warm and fuzzy inside, but it hasn't tricked me into a happy trance or anything.

However, I see nothing wrong with movies or music brightening up your mood a little. If it gives you an idea of how to be more positive or happy, I think I can go with it.

Honestly, I don't think I understand this topic enough. You're saying that it's a mistake to relate to a movie or music because it can't pertain to reality? Is that what you're saying? ];
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.” ~Theodore Roosevelt
SweetxinsanityxSarah
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I guess your saying Titanic and 9/11 never happened then, or apollo 13 :O come on movies spark all kinds of emotions, and people DO make them, not like aliens make em or something. We all feel a certian emotion that someone else has felt one time or another.

Movies and music are here to help us get through the rough times, or to help us shed tears. Cause without entertainment, the world would be VERY friggin boring.
Fayore

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the zen approach. You can't have happiness without knowing suffering, right? (Which I suppose is what this topic is about, since there's no real connection to the movies/music thing.)

Maybe I'm just incorrigibly optimistic, but I think that shit happening to you is a good thing; the lessons you learn are invaluable.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
HoBunny
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SweetxinsanityxSarah wrote:
Cause without entertainment, the world would be VERY friggin boring.

Although life may b boring, I think people would be more intelligent
ThomYorke
I dream of mod position

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree. If you don't have a good imagination it's going to be pretty hard to come up with new ideas.
HoBunny
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but imagination can also distract you
Fayore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HoBunny wrote:
SweetxinsanityxSarah wrote:
Cause without entertainment, the world would be VERY friggin boring.

Although life may b boring, I think people would be more intelligent

No.

Just... no.

There's so many things wrong with that argument that I haven't even the first idea how to approach it.

Film and other sorts of media are very valid methods of education/information, even if you don't realise it. It's simple enough to take a movie (substitute video games, music, etc.) and draw plenty of information from it; you can take something so trivial and arguably of little artistic value (ie, Twilight) and examine it with questions like "Why is this so popular?" It also gives a wealth of information about the country/culture it's borne from; for example, the film Mitt liv som hund may seem somewhat uninteresting and almost pointless at first, but the entire thing is a portrayal and critique/criticism of Swedish culture.

There are always reasons why things are popular with some people and not with others.

I hate to ask, but. How old are you? It's just that your arguments are so nonsensical and poorly thought out (not to mention that you seem somewhat misinformed/ignorant in general) that I can't help but wonder.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
London

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the OP is being serious.
Fayore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't even tell what's going on here. 8[ I've half a mind to move this all to OT and be done with it.

HoBunny
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m Not denying that movies don’t allow you to gather information, I’m trying to say that most movies, often movies that were created solely for entertainment (or money); invoke A sensation of vicarious persona upon the watcher. Most Vicarious personality traits inherited by characters in movies, TV, ect, are found from the information I have gathered, in children. I have noticed that a lot of the personality traits of my nieces and nephews are almost identical to characters in cartoons they watch. So what I am saying, is that, based on the information I have gathered, that a lot of the time, entertainment can make you delusional to reality, and at times, replace parts of your natural personality with emotional settings and mood enhancements.
Fayore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not even sure how to approach that, since it has almost no bearing on the initial post you made in this thread.

Also, you're talking about kids now. Of course kids are going to do that; they haven't got the experience to suppose any differently.

&I'm rather in the camp that there is no such thing as a "natural personality", since an individual's personality is determined by their experiences-- which, as you mention, things such as television shows or films enter quite readily into. And not just that, one can arguably say a person can reach the same vicarious experience through more traditional means, such as reading a novel or viewing a play.

There simply is no argument here; all I'm gathering from you is a skewed perspective borne from little consideration of the various facts and other facets of modes of entertainment.

Also, I think avoiding "regrets" is a somewhat juvenile way of thinking, particularly if you translate "regrets" into "making mistakes".

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Philosophical All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: