Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
YIM? Firewalls?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Computer Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
XshadowsXchildX
Very bored

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:46 pm    Post subject: YIM? Firewalls? Reply with quote

I will be completely honest. . . I have no idea wth happened, but somehow, my virus protection shut off for like...not even fifteen minutes. The second I found out it was acting up (which was the moment it shut off because of the alert thingy), I restarted my computer. Manually, because I couldn't do the good ol' Start Shut Down thing.

When I logged back onto my computer, my virus protection was back on, but I couldn't log into Yahoo. (I could get on MSN, and My Space IM), but Yahoo just wouldn't let me. Waited till the next day, tried again. No luck. Uninstalled, re-downloaded, tried to reinstall, but it wouldn't let me. I've checked my fire wall a million (exaggeration) times, but whenever I go to re-install, it keeps saying;

"Yahoo! Messenger is unable to download files needed for installation. Please check firewall settings and retry installation."

And I have, but still have had no luck. I even tried turning off my firewall just long enough to install it, but I got the same messege. I know Yahoo's not the best, but...It's my only means of communication with a good amount of my friends. Could anyone please help, or give me any ideas that might help? If all else fails, when I don't own a crap-ton of money out, I'll just go have my computer reprogrammed. T.T

"Ich würde gerne in Ihrem Sinn zu sehen und zu reißen alles auseinander. So schneiden Sie mit einem Messer zu öffnen und Ihr Herz-Jesu zu finden. Ich würde gerne Ihre Satin Doll zu nehmen und sie alle in Stücke reißen. Ich würde gerne Ihr schönes Haar durcheinander. Ich würde gerne sehen Sie tot ..."
Sora121
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First. I'm going to tell you to get rid of YIM, and use Pidgin. Pidgin is a million times more simple. Not only that, but it brings all your IM's into one package (not sure about MySpace IM tho...)
YIM is a POS, and shouldn't be installed anywhere, just like AOL.

Second, get rid of what ever paid anti-virus/firewall BS you have. 8 out of 10 installations only make the computer perform slower. Instead, go get Avast! or AVG. (I recommend Avast!, its light and does a good job.)

Third, if you are behind a router or your are plugged into a device that provides a connection to multiple other computers in your home, you don't really need the Windows Firewall. The standard firewall built into your router should handle most anything dangerous. If you're paranoid and need a firewall, go get a third party free firewall with a high reputation like COMODO. They seem to work a ton better than the Windows firewall, but may degrade performance depending on how you set up the firewall.

Thats just my two cents, and to be honest I hardly read your post.
Hope it helps! Wink
XshadowsXchildX
Very bored

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sora121 wrote:
First. I'm going to tell you to get rid of YIM, and use Pidgin. Pidgin is a million times more simple. Not only that, but it brings all your IM's into one package (not sure about MySpace IM tho...)
YIM is a POS, and shouldn't be installed anywhere, just like AOL.

Second, get rid of what ever paid anti-virus/firewall BS you have. 8 out of 10 installations only make the computer perform slower. Instead, go get Avast! or AVG. (I recommend Avast!, its light and does a good job.)

Third, if you are behind a router or your are plugged into a device that provides a connection to multiple other computers in your home, you don't really need the Windows Firewall. The standard firewall built into your router should handle most anything dangerous. If you're paranoid and need a firewall, go get a third party free firewall with a high reputation like COMODO. They seem to work a ton better than the Windows firewall, but may degrade performance depending on how you set up the firewall.

Thats just my two cents, and to be honest I hardly read your post.
Hope it helps! Wink

I have Avast. Pidgin was okay when I used it. I just might do that, but yeah...And the firewall I have is the one that came with my computer. Um...The pidgin thing helped a little...I suppose. Thanks. ^^;

"Ich würde gerne in Ihrem Sinn zu sehen und zu reißen alles auseinander. So schneiden Sie mit einem Messer zu öffnen und Ihr Herz-Jesu zu finden. Ich würde gerne Ihre Satin Doll zu nehmen und sie alle in Stücke reißen. Ich würde gerne Ihr schönes Haar durcheinander. Ich würde gerne sehen Sie tot ..."
cstdenis
Evil Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comodo is a good free firewall
SweetxinsanityxSarah
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dontcha just HATE IT when your computer PMS's on ya? xP
XshadowsXchildX
Very bored

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES! YES YES!!

SweetxinsanityxSarah
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes we've all been in the same boat at least once where we have wanted to put a bullet through our computer towers. xP
XshadowsXchildX
Very bored

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More like shove it out a fifty-ith story window and watch it hit some $&#* up retard in the head. Two birds with one stone, ne?

That was a bit off topic, sorry.

But yes, agreed.

SweetxinsanityxSarah
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey now, what did Paris Hilton ever do to you? xD

Also dont fret you'll get your YIM back soons, I just hope your youtube will cooperate with ya too. x.x
XshadowsXchildX
Very bored

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too. If I go get my computer reprogrammed, I'ma have a hella time with all my passwords again. T.T

SweetxinsanityxSarah
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why I write my passwords down in a notebook and keep it hidden in my room nice and safe. Wink
XshadowsXchildX
Very bored

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your mom respects your privacy. I don't trust my sister.

SweetxinsanityxSarah
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor thing. T-T -makes her glad her brother keeps away from her comp when he visits-

Have a cookie! =D -gives chocolate chip cookie-
XshadowsXchildX
Very bored

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-takes cookie and nibbles on it sadly- Bored...And thinking again. Bad combo.

SweetxinsanityxSarah
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Hits with a newspaper- No. more. fics! You have too many already that you didnt finish. xP

Shall I call you Dr. Calamatis? (Lame Jimmy Neutron pun)
XshadowsXchildX
Very bored

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SweetxinsanityxSarah wrote:
-Hits with a newspaper- No. more. fics! You have too many already that you didnt finish. xP

. . . I wish I was thinking about fanfics...

SweetxinsanityxSarah wrote:
Shall I call you Dr. Calamatis? (Lame Jimmy Neutron pun)

And.......I don't get it. xD

SweetxinsanityxSarah
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Dr. Calamatis: guy who could never finish anything. Not even a sentence.)

xP
XshadowsXchildX
Very bored

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dun like JN...

SweetxinsanityxSarah
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither do I, but im forced to watch it when my nephew visits. x-x
XshadowsXchildX
Very bored

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sucks to be you. xD

T.T Anyway, check the PM. I might wait till you reply before I jump off. x.x

($&#* boss-man. T.T)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Computer Help All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: