Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Stepping away from realistic bounds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Artistic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
museforsale
Newb

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: Stepping away from realistic bounds Reply with quote

I've spent the last five or so years drawing nothing but realistically. I've reached that point where I no longer get the "the eyes are too big" or "not enough contrast" critiques, but instead "where are [i]you[/i] in this?" and "what does this piece say?" ones.

I've spent all this time learning the rules, I don't know how to break them. I guess I've refined my technique so much that I can't relax it. Apparently, acording to the art schools I've talked to, I am lacking a personal voice. They need to see [i]me[/i] in my art.

How the heck do I do that?? I mean, I am utterly confused. I tried some more relaxed, surreal stuff ( http://www.fanart-central.net/pic-780715.html , for instance). But is this really going on the right path?
luckylace222
Site Helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what the art schools are telling you is that you lack a specific originality that expresses who you are in your art. You can perfect the art of realism, shading, and dept, but they are only methods to build your own style, and usually your style reflects who you are.

For example, Pablo Picasso had the skill to paint amazing portraits of anatomically correct women and men, but he had more of an interest in the Cubism art style. He drew geometrical-like versions of naked women and animals, and people who saw the art would have a hint that it was Picasso's.

From what I've seen in your gallery, you have amazing shading skills, but you choose plain and ordinary poses to draw. Try something original. Try to draw something that is interesting to you, and if you can really find some good inspiration to draw something that challenges your skills, you can tap deep into your creativity and discover something that gives your art a specific "stamp." People can look at it and know it is yours.

If you are into the topic of life and death: You see a dead dragonfly in a puddle outside. Maybe just perfectly redrawing the dead dragonfly does not reflect your true potential. You could draw a plant growing out of the dragonfly's body to symbolize that from something cold and unmoving, life can still appear.

>;( I am not asking you to force yourself to draw a certain way for other people. If you really think your art expresses your full potential and creativity, keep going with how you are. However, there are some artists who think there is always something else they can put in their pieces. Try walking outside and analyze the things that really catch your eye, exaggerate that in your mind, and put it on paper. You could find your artistic calling. Wink
[size=10]“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.” ~Theodore Roosevelt [/size]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Artistic Help All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: