Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
The Last Airbender Which was better the series or the movie?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> TV & Movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Prisoner_Of_Reality
Newb

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: The Last Airbender Which was better the series or the movie? Reply with quote

I love the original series, but the movie, while it had awesome special effects, was bad. The characters were one-deminsional and the they were either over-acting or showed almost no emotion at all. There were no Kyoshi warriors at all which makes me wonder what they'll do in the third movie(assuming that there will be one) when Suki becomes a major part of the cast. It was a very serious movie and it took away many of the things that made me want to watch it. Sokka wasn't sarcastic or funny and looked like somebody had shoved a stick up his butt throughout most of the movie. Aang wasn't nearly as happy and carefree as he was in the series in fact he hardly shows any emotion. I was extremely dissapointed. But I am wondering (many of my friends and family thought the movie was very good) if maybe I am being to harsh. so I was thinking maybe you guys could tell if you thought the movie was good and/or if it was better than the series.
SweetxinsanityxSarah
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Shamalan did say he adored the warriors, and even filmed some scenes of them. However they took up way too much of the movie and he had to cut them out. Which surprised even me due to that suki is going to be in the end like you said. (I felt bad for the actors that did the warriors, it was as if their only chance of stardom was shot down.)

I havent seen the movie yet but I did notice these things that you said from just the previews. Plus I dreaded it due to Shamalans movies were kinda failing to stand up to his awsomeness that is the sixth sense.

Hands down I am a fan of the series itself, and will always be. (Plus Zuko in the third season is way hotter than the guy they cast for him in the movie -shot-)

(Cute avatar btw x3 -edward elric fangirl- )
CiaphasCain
Has No Life

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Movie was pretty goddamn awful. There were like, maybe 5 minutes total of quality footage.
CiaphasCain
Has No Life

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

POSITIVE THINGS
-Most of the Blue Spirit thing was done well, though it kinda fell apart at the end
-lol Appa
-Azula's actress is perfect
-Katara was kinda hot
-Iroh sounded wise a few times. YOUR DESTINIES ARE TIED ZUKKO and such, as well as being awesome in the ending

NEGATIVE THINGS
-LOL WHATS ACTING
-Lol Asiv Mondive
-Lol slumdog millionare
-Pretty much a general sense of complete deviation from the show
CiaphasCain
Has No Life

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, Suki is meaningless apart from shipping shit.

Get ready for Jin, Bosco, Combustion Man, The Boulder, most of the White Lotus Society, Sokka's Dad, and probably Ty Lee and Mai to never show up ever

If anything, shit don't matter, just wait it out until we get Legend of Korra
SweetxinsanityxSarah
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Appa looked rather cool in the previews along with Momo (For a sec I thought they wouldnt bring momo in. Oh sure bring in the lemur bat but the other more important characters might not show in the next movies xP that was just hoing out the 3D effects there. No offense though.)

Speaking of The boulder, did you know they tried to get 'the rock' to be his voice actor since they based the guy off him? Who knows, the fella might show up as his avatar counterpart in the next movie...but I wouldnt hold my breathe if this movie is a flop as much as everyone is saying it is. (Twilight's eclipse is doing better than it....and that's a bad sign.)

And yeah Katara was kinda badass, along with Iroh. But then again Iroh was always my favorite character when it came to old wise men. Wish I had an uncle like him. xD

Eh guess these leaves another weekend free for me considering I was going to go see it when it came to the city's theatre...but ya guys saved me eight bucks so thankies.
CiaphasCain
Has No Life

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="SweetxinsanityxSarah"]
Speaking of The boulder, did you know they tried to get 'the rock' to be his voice actor since they based the guy off him? Who knows, the fella might show up as his avatar counterpart in the next movie[/quote]
He won't. They pretty much cut all the humor and minor characters out, so the Boulder's niche is kinda... gone
[quote]...but I wouldnt hold my breathe if this movie is a flop as much as everyone is saying it is. (Twilight's eclipse is doing better than it....and that's a bad sign.).[/quote]

It's a bad sign to do worse than 130 mil in 3 days? Shit, what is the world coming to?

But yeah, it's doing terrible. I just hate blind fanboyism. Both toward and against things.
SweetxinsanityxSarah
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They made a video game yet. Which makes NO SENSE! They already brought out a ton of Avatar based video games from the series, which look much better than this. Maybe not graphic wise but why get the game of just movie one when you can get the whole game series from the show?

I did give the director shamalan credit on ONE part though. When it came to the firebenders, he said it was rather unfair that other elements had to depend on the enviroment to help them fight, where as the firebenders could just shoot fire out of their fists, mouths, and hands. So he evened up the playing field by having low class firebenders having to bring in torches or sources of fire with them inorder to use it. However high class ones could use fire by depending on just the oxygen in the air.

How bad did this movie blow though Tyler? I want to know incase it comes on direct tv, and dont want to lose 4 bucks if I get disappointed like I did with dragon wars....ugh.

Would you rather sit through all the Twilights, or sit through this movie when it comes to comparison?
CiaphasCain
Has No Life

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="SweetxinsanityxSarah"]They made a video game yet. Which makes NO SENSE! They already brought out a ton of Avatar based video games from the series, which look much better than this. Maybe not graphic wise but why get the game of just movie one when you can get the whole game series from the show?[/quote]

Because every major motion picture gets a mediocre tie-in game. No exceptions.

[quote]I did give the director shamalan credit on ONE part though. When it came to the firebenders, he said it was rather unfair that other elements had to depend on the environment to help them fight, where as the firebenders could just shoot fire out of their fists, mouths, and hands.[/quote]
Bullshit, everyone else basically did whatever the fuck they wanted. Waterbenders could pull it out of the oxygen, Earthbenders could do whatever, same with Airbenders, that shit was another stupid decision, amongst a long series of stupid decisions.

[quote]How bad did this movie blow though Tyler? I want to know incase it comes on direct tv, and dont want to lose 4 bucks if I get disappointed like I did with dragon wars....ugh.[/quote]
Honestly, I was drunk as shit, so a lot of it is pretty hazy towards the beginning, but it's kinda just like watching the entire first season in two hours, but less fun.
SweetxinsanityxSarah
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agh..well that's a dumb move. So he made the firebenders look like jokes and the other element users badasses. Dx

And bah~! The first two seasons, especially the earth season dragged like crazy in the series to where I almost gave up watching the show cause of all the fillers. If it's less fun than in the show count me out. xP
plus they destroyed Sokka and he's the funny man, never shalll we hear 'SLAMMA POW! -shooshy air bending slice!- in the movies format. Or when he accidently glues that mustache and beard on his face in the last season.
SonicnTails
Very bored

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone acted like power rangers when fighting.

And it was funny when the earthbenders were slow as hell, then all that comes out is a tiny rock.
CiaphasCain
Has No Life

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh god

That shit

Might have been the highlight of the movie

Laughed my ass off

What the fuck man, what the fuck
Hawk4444
Very Oldbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the series is the only way to watch avatar. the movie wouldn't of existed without it.

plus the movies kinda bothered me a lil bit. effects were cool but most of the cast members couldn't act even remotely near the anime a lil bit. they just made it there own.

but the worst part of the movie was the constant shaky cam work. not to mention at parts it just looked amatuer.

why does hollywood ruin every anime movie to come out. the only good one so far was speed racer(thank god) b/c i woulda been pissed if they ruined that one too.
SonicnTails
Very bored

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Hawk4444"]the series is the only way to watch avatar. the movie wouldn't of existed without it.

plus the movies kinda bothered me a lil bit. effects were cool but most of the cast members couldn't act even remotely near the anime a lil bit. they just made it there own.

but the worst part of the movie was the constant shaky cam work. not to mention at parts it just looked amatuer.

why does hollywood ruin every anime movie to come out. the only good one so far was speed racer(thank god) b/c i woulda been pissed if they ruined that one too.[/quote]

Isnt Avatar a cartoon?
Oh and dont worry, Hollywood loves f-ing things up.(I'm looking at you Resident Evil)
SanguinePraetor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="SonicnTails"][quote="Hawk4444"]the series is the only way to watch avatar. the movie wouldn't of existed without it.

why does hollywood ruin every anime movie to come out. the only good one so far was speed racer(thank god) b/c i woulda been pissed if they ruined that one too.[/quote]

Isnt Avatar a cartoon?
Oh and dont worry, Hollywood loves f-ing things up.(I'm looking at you Resident Evil)[/quote]

whats wrong with resident evil, fgt?
SonicnTails
Very bored

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="SanguinePraetor"][quote="SonicnTails"][quote="Hawk4444"]the series is the only way to watch avatar. the movie wouldn't of existed without it.

Isnt Avatar a cartoon?
Oh and dont worry, Hollywood loves f-ing things up.(I'm looking at you Resident Evil)[/quote]

whats wrong with resident evil, fgt?[/quote]

I dont remember seeing a dumbass Mary-Sue who has super powers, now clones, and somehow always wins in the real story. It also looks like it was made by a 10 year old.
It's like it's hard to follow the video game stories in movies, no one ever does it right.
DANCEDANCEKITTY
Newb

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the series, movie was trash
yuai77
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The series is much better. They left out some of the coolest parts in the series including the part where Aang mixed with the ocean spirit. Plus, they made Aang terrible at waterbending, but in the show, he got it right away and made Katara jelous. I also don't like the way they did the bending. INnthe series, each move actually did something. It the movie they just did a ton of unnessisary martial arts moves before their element even moved. The actors didn't look like Sokka, Kitara, and Iroh didn't EVEN look the same.I went in with high exspectations, but it let me down. I did like how good a job they did on Yue though.
[url=http://dragcave.net/view/OrTsg][img]http://dragcave.net/image/OrTsg.gif[/img][/url]
luckylace222
Site Helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE SERIES.

Of course! I took one look at the trailer and decided to not watch the movie. Some of the graphics may have been cool, but the actors and their awkward acting is just.....atrocious. ]x I'm so critical over this because one of my favorite shows ever is being degraded by a movie that hardly follows its plot line because there is too much to put in.

;/ That is what happens when you make a movie based off a popular series/book. There is going to be the harshest criticisms because the fans always compare it to the original. I personally think Transformers is the only movie I've seen so far that made its own GOOD version based off the original.
[size=10]“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.” ~Theodore Roosevelt [/size]

Last edited by luckylace222 on Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:47 am; edited 1 time in total
SweetxinsanityxSarah
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always loved the series of Avatar, twas something new and fresh to the cartoon scene. Seeing and hearing about what the movie did to it (And not having the ocean spirit scene at the end.) was kind of sad to hear. All this was doing was revving up the 3D effects and graphics. No sticking to the story or looking deep into the characters personalities whatsoever. Aang was all happy and carefree and peaceful as hell, soo much soo he didnt want to kill the firelord! This Aang...just seems blank and serious.

Shamalan, you may have done the movie for your kids and enjoyed the series yourself...but you didnt watch it too much to get it the way it should have been. Sorry but fail.

And yes I agree lucky and hawk, every good series or book is usually butchered to hell and back by hollywood. Just look at the DBZ movie -weeps-
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> TV & Movies All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: