Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Its hard to be the same person that's behind the computer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Life Assistance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gerardthedevil
Has No Life

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Its hard to be the same person that's behind the computer Reply with quote

Whenever I talk to my friends on aim or when I text them, Im very talkative, fun and I seem to give very good advice. Unfortunately Im not like that in person, Im extremely quiet, and people always say, "she's so shy" How can avoid that?
Very bored

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just need to work on your social skills. Learn to not be so nervous and find better things for conversations.

I'm just speaking for what I did though, I just tried to stop that myself. Really it wasn't hard at all. We know what to say just like in text and online, but we just don't say it. Really, just start doing it and you'll change sooner or later. Its a bit weird though, I'm not gonna lie.
Has No Life

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I remember when my friend got in trouble and I was letting her know things will be ok. Though she felt better from what I said it was very weird to be doing that in person and I had to force myself to talk. But I will just get out more and be social.
Still very bored

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still working on it. Haha. I'm getting better- though some people say I'm really no different in real-life... I feel like I am a completely different person. Like I'm less shy about things and can get things our more carefully. I tend to say something and then it comes out wrong but when I can type it, I have time to think and word it out.

- She has blue eyes and believes in a little something called fate. <3
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Xx_True_Dachshund_xX
Forum contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty outgoing both in real life and online.

Basically just work on your social skills a little bit more, like the others said. Also, try getting off your computer more often to go hang out with friends. Don't have many friends? Make new ones! The more friends you have, the higher your confidence is and the better you feel about yourself.

I used to not have many friends because I couldn't trust people easily but by the end of my spring semester this year in college, I had several new friends who loved hanging out with me and cared about me and that in itself built up my confidence and so because of that, I was opening up and being more social with people.

To make a long story short, try making some new friends. That'll help you be more social! :)
Gerardthedevil
Has No Life

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the answers guys! =) Im going to work on being social during this week, maybe I'll hang out with my friends.
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't care about what others think. My aunt told me those who are shy only get walked on and don't get far in life. That made me a lot more outgoing. I just really wanted to please her. It was hard at first but now im a social butterfly..though I still can't do speeches, that's a different story.

xAmiDarkfieldx wrote:
"Your a bird, I'm a cat of the jungle. Birds can't get pregnant last I checked. They lay eggs."
luckylace222
Site Helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

;/ I had this theory that people are more honest and show their character more in text when they are not pressured or timed to pick a certain line. In front of your keyboard when you can think your words through and review it; it is much easier to let yourself blend through your words.

Of course, there are people who have it the opposite.

I actually do not like chatting that much online unless we are talking about an important school topic, and I do not like chatting in real life unless they are talking about an interesting topic. You could say your socialness depends entirely on 1. Your self-confidence 2. Tolerance 3. Interest

Do not be completely antisocial and indifferent to others, but do not force yourself to talk about a certain topic/person you are uncomfortable with.
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.” ~Theodore Roosevelt
Gerardthedevil
Has No Life

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the advice ^.^

Its true its easier to text and explain things, much easier to think.
Its just that when my friends need help, I want to be able to help them. Helping others is really something I enjoy, unless the ones Im helping are ungrateful.

Yeah, I suppose shy people do tend to be walked on, happened a lot when I was in school. I can be outgoing in small spaces, but if Im in a class of 30 kids I'll be shy.
Site Helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am more nervous around people I know than strangers. ;u
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.” ~Theodore Roosevelt
Gerardthedevil
Has No Life

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess because the people you know, are people you care about?
Site Helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not necessarily. There is just the thought, "I see these people's faces almost everyday." AHHA but I have gotten over my public nervousness long ago.

I used to shake tremendously after an oral presentation. Confused

How well do you do in oral presentations?
Gerardthedevil
Has No Life

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to be horrible at it, but I took a public speaking and debate class, now Im great at it. =)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There you go...Public speaking...You already have the tools...You just have to face your shyness and interact...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Life Assistance All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: