Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland vs the Old animated Alice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> TV & Movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Prisoner_Of_Reality
Newb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:19 am    Post subject: Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland vs the Old animated Alice Reply with quote

Ok Now I know that this is probably a really late review since Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland came out early this summer and it's the beginning of December but her you go which Alice In Wonderland I thought was better.

I liked the animated version better. It was closer to the books and it seemed like what the actual Wonderland was supposed be like. It didn't really have a plot except for the fact that Alice wanted to go home. It was whimsical and everything in it was very silly exactly how I think it was supposed to be.

Tim Burton's Alice In Wonderland on the other hand was more of a sequel. Alice returns to Wonderland to find the Mad Hatter and the White Queen and various other characters are part of a rebellion against the Red Queen who has taken over Wonderland. This is where I started to dislike the movie when I saw it for the first time.
This is Wonderland where nothing supposed to make sense and there’s defiantly not supposed to be a violent plot. And right now some of you who are actually reading this are thinking, “It’s Tim Burton. What can you expect?” And while I do realize that he was bound to make it dark and creepy since it is Tim Burton that gives no excuse for the fact that he changed something that was so memorable (to me at least) Another thing I disliked about the film Burton tried to make the Mad Hatter into a love interest for Alice and while maybe he saw this as a way to add tension into the story or what I don’t know but I find it slightly gross when I go back and watch the animated version.
He also made two very bad choices for actresses. Anne Hathaway and Mia Wasikowska.
Now I’ve nothing against Hathaway as an actress but she was terrible in this movie. She played the White Queen, the ditzy(for lack of a better word) sister of the Red Queen. Every time she walked she apparently had to raise her arms up level with her chin and try to slide across the floor in a failed effort to look graceful. There’s no point to this except to annoy people it seems. Everything she says is completely over-dramatic while her face has maybe two expressions throughout the entire movie. You can tell she’s trying too hard to fit into the role and therefore nothing she does comes out as natural. And yes I know it’s Wonderland and everything’s supposed be crazy and over-dramatic but she just tried to hard and so everything she did came out as just awkward and out-of-place.
Onto Wasikowska, She played the nineteen-year-old Alice, the main character of the film. She was very bland, only giving maybe three expressions the entire movie with no changes in her voice. Maybe she did this in an effort to make Wonderland seem more amazing and strange, i don't know. And I really am hesitant to critic her because I know she made a real effort to become Alice but I’m sorry to say that effort failed. Her smile is extremely awkward and seems like she was forced to do it. She doesn’t seem to care what happens to the Mad Hatter or any of the other Character’s until she escapes for the first time from the Red Queen’s palace and even then she seems as unwilling to go back and rescue the Hatter, as a little kid is unwilling to take out the trash. When she fights the Jabberwocky she shows no emotion as she cuts it head off. I’m sorry but if I had been completely unwilling to even think about fighting something and then I went into battle with it and I had to cut it’s head off and I had never killed anything before I would show a lot of emotion she instead just keeps an emotionless face even after she stands right by the severed head and watches as the White Queen takes some of the blood from it.

And then the movie ends with Alice becoming the partner of her dead father's old partner and her standing on a boat and seeing a blue butterfly pass by. I think?
SweetxinsanityxSarah
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I praise you greatly for going out of your way saying WHY you like one version better than the other than just saying "Oh the movie sucks I like the first animated one."

And I would have to agree on some things, but I didnt see it yet though I am planning to do so. I dont like characters that act like blank slates, which is why I hate the Twilight movies and everything involved with them. And yes I would freak too if I ended up killing something for the first time. Hell look at Edward Elric, he killed Greed; his [i]enemy[/i], and he still freaked out like crazy when he realized he was actually dead. Not showing emotion to that is just poor acting.

Mad Hatter with Alice? I saw what Johnny looked like and yeah...not his sexist look. Even Edward Scissorhands looked cuter than that! That was just a frown right there when I read that, sorry but I see him as best; friends with her.

Though when it comes down to which version I prefer better, eh I would be sitting on the fence with this one. xP
Loonie_Leah
Newb

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, when you think about it... There was a second book for Alice in Wonderland. I think that's more what they were shooting for.
Rangiku
Has No Life

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The blue butterfly is apselon i think thats how we spell it
setzaroth
Cold Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was entertaining I suppose. Had no idea AIW had a sequel...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> TV & Movies All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: