Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
In the news: Gawker compromised, passwords leaked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stratadrake
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:57 am    Post subject: In the news: Gawker compromised, passwords leaked Reply with quote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11998648

Gawker -- a popular gossiping website -- was recently hacked, and the intruders successfully leaked a long list of account usernames/passwords. Subsequently, some of these passwords were used to crack various Twitter, Facebook, et al. accounts, although there are no reports of any serious or widespread damage.

Among them, the top 10 most common passwords turned out to be these:
* "123456"
* "password"
* "12345678"
- "lifehack"
* "qwerty"
* "abc123"
* "111111"
* "monkey"
- "consumer"
* "12345"

Items marked with a * are considered invalid on FAC due to internal rules deciding what is and is not allowed in a user password.

It's pretty common for people to use everyday words in passwords, but this is hardly an effective strategy for deterring hackers. Though no password is 100.0% secure, remember the standard tips:

- Passwords are case sensitive. Mixing uppercase and lowercase letters makes it more difficult to crack since you need to not only get the spelling right, but capitalization too.
- Avoid using common words. "Password" is the infamous example here.
- Mix numbers and letters. Even a baseline 1337 translation of common words (e.g. "difficult" -> "d1ff1cul7") makes a password tougher to crack.
- Spacing and punctuation matters too. If you can make your password out of a [i]phrase[/i] instead of a single word, it'll be tougher to guess.

Obviously, making a password difficult to guess can make it more difficult to [i]remember[/i] in the first place. Finding a way to remember your password is up to you.
Strata here: [url=http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/242293]Nanowrimo[/url] - [url=www.fanart-central.net/user-Stratadrake.php]FAC[/url] - [url=http://stratadrake.deviantart.com]dA[/url] - [url=www.furaffinity.net/user/Stratadrake/]FA[/url]
[size=9]Disclaimer: Posts may contain URLs. Click [url=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TVTropesWillRuinYourLife]at your own risk.[/url][/size]
SweetxinsanityxSarah
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-facepalms at the "password" and counting PWs.-

Oh thats soo sad I cant think of a witty remark, someone help me out here.
aquaeevee
Forum contributor

Location: just southwest of sod off, a little past sign say noobly people parking, 5 tics from the asylum

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i oneupped when i read that i "facefax"d then loled till my eye twitched at the fact that people cannot be bothered to have inginuity. i memorized the number on the side of a yogurt container for ONE of my password on a site i cannot even remember if its still even working
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: