Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
digital drawing won't make you a better arttist.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> General Art Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nightmare1234567890
Newb

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: digital drawing won't make you a better arttist. Reply with quote

a lot of people think drawing on a digital program would be easier but that's false. YOu still need skills for traditional befor eyou draw digital.
luckylace222
Site Helper

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true. However, I have only heard people say that coloring/shading with digital programs is easier. Actually illustrating/drawing lineart on PS or GIMP can be a hassle, especially if you are still adjusting to your unwilling tablet.

The only program that I honestly think is the easiest digital program in both lineart and shading is SAI.
[size=10]“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.” ~Theodore Roosevelt [/size]
nightmare1234567890
Newb

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="luckylace222"]Very true. However, I have only heard people say that coloring/shading with digital programs is easier. Actually illustrating/drawing lineart on PS or GIMP can be a hassle, especially if you are still adjusting to your unwilling tablet.

The only program that I honestly think is the easiest digital program in both lineart and shading is SAI.[/quote] coloring yes but shading can be a pain. Hate artist who say my arts suck and shows to people and they say it suck or critques it, and they get mad at them. I also don't like when people hate your critque as bashing or they get upset when people say critques bluntly.
luckylace222
Site Helper

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems you have had your negative moments with the comments!

All is well. I comment my true feelings always so I do not feel I am cheating an artist from a true opinion, and if they get angry at constructive criticism, keep doing it anyways. There is nothing wrong with helping an artist by giving them hints on what you see needs to be improved.

I cannot see how an artist can call themselves an artist if they refuse to listen to criticisms. They would benefit more from not showing their art at all if they refuse such a thing. Art is never perfect for no criticism.

[quote]Hate artist who say my arts suck and shows to people and they say it suck or critques it, and they get mad at them[/quote]
If they could not offer any logical reasons/show a want to help you improve, ignore them. P; Your art is not that bad.
[size=10]“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.” ~Theodore Roosevelt [/size]
SweetxinsanityxSarah
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky's got a point there. I too enjoy a good tip here and there cause hell I want to improve too. xP

However if the person goes "Oh that's traced" yet when you show them proof it is not, they throw a tantrum and call you an idiot before blocking you then they are defiently not worth your time. Trust me, some people are out there just to cause grief to distract from their own miserable lives. Dont give em the time of day with your anger and they'll move on...plus block is god. ;P

And on the matter of digital and pencil and paper...I am very good at pencil and paper...yet fail with digital horribly. X_x dunno why but it doesnt seem to like meh lol.
nightmare1234567890
Newb

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="luckylace222"]Seems you have had your negative moments with the comments!

All is well. I comment my true feelings always so I do not feel I am cheating an artist from a true opinion, and if they get angry at constructive criticism, keep doing it anyways. There is nothing wrong with helping an artist by giving them hints on what you see needs to be improved.

I cannot see how an artist can call themselves an artist if they refuse to listen to criticisms. They would benefit more from not showing their art at all if they refuse such a thing. Art is never perfect for no criticism.

[quote]Hate artist who say my arts suck and shows to people and they say it suck or critques it, and they get mad at them[/quote]
If they could not offer any logical reasons/show a want to help you improve, ignore them. P; Your art is not that bad.[/quote] that not what i am saying. I am sayign to others say there art sucks and get all mad about it.
luckylace222
Site Helper

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you should not word it like, "Your art sucks," but rather, "Your artwork needs some more improvement in more areas than I can describe because it has overcome the naive artistic benchmark and simply moved to ignorant overlooking of basic art principles." lol jk

EDIT: Your lack of grammar is killing me
Jhihmoac

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never had a drawing tablet as an aid to any of my image making/ editing programs...I'd like one, but decently-featured units are boocoo xpensive, and I can't afford them...To date, all my stuff is done via the good old-fashioned pen tool...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
luckylace222
Site Helper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not know why I feel a tinge of shame while saying this, but I never did figure out how to use the PS pen tool correctly.
Jhihmoac

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]I do not know why I feel a tinge of shame while saying this, but I never did figure out how to use the PS pen tool correctly.
[/quote]

Necessity tends to be the mother of invention...When you don't have the finances for all the nuances...You've got to make the best of what you have...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
luckylace222
Site Helper

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]If I put some time into learning it, I may have better than the best of what I have. I will have the better best....eee-yeah.[/quote]
What the heck was I saying??!

Last edited by luckylace222 on Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Jhihmoac

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree...Digital drawing won't make you a better artist...It's better to spring from pencil, pen, ink, paintbrush, etc...When I started the comp crap, a pen tool was one bear of a jagged little pill to accept, and many times I found myself saying, "Screw this!", but in time, I eventually got it...

However, since all the "meat and potato" aspects of art have definitely gone digital now, especially anything animated...rudimentary processes such as color correction and pre-press applications...and mucho photo editing/manipulation, it's probably good to be handy in both realms...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> General Art Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: