Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Sleeping with/without a Pillow

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luckylace222
Site Helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject: Sleeping with/without a Pillow Reply with quote

[b]Is it unhealthy/bad to sleep without a pillow? [/b]

Strange question, I know, but this has been bothering me fora while. I have been getting mixed opinions it.

They say the pillow is there to put your spine in a position where the weight of the head is not causing pain to the spine, but I have been sleeping without a pillow for a long time, and I feel fine(I actually feel better ;P).

What have you guys heard(or...not heard)?
[img]https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/248/17859/1d/deliveryag1.download.akamai.com/17859/asseenontv/prod-pages/images/CloudPillow-Spine.jpg[/img]
[size=10]“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.” ~Theodore Roosevelt [/size]
unfocused

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear the same, pillows help spine.

Personally, beds mess me up. They hurt my lower back sometimes. And when that happens, I sleep on the floor without a pillow (I use my shoulder as a pillow) and I wake up feeling great.

One time at work, I did two 16 hour shifts with only 8 hours in between, after working 3 weeks without an off day, many days working 12 hour shifts. The next day I woke up for work and as soon as I sat up in bed, my back went out. That's never happened to me before so I thought I was going to die, lol. It was painful and my muscles were so tight I couldn't hardly breathe. Scary as hell. I stand and lift a lot at work. After days, and my back not getting much better, I slept a night on the floor, flat on my back. I woke up and I was almost completely healed.

Now that I think about it, I should pass this tip along to my family and friends. Sleeping on the floor sometimes even keeps you cooler on warm nights.
Stratadrake
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you sleep on your back or side?
Strata here: [url=http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/242293]Nanowrimo[/url] - [url=www.fanart-central.net/user-Stratadrake.php]FAC[/url] - [url=http://stratadrake.deviantart.com]dA[/url] - [url=www.furaffinity.net/user/Stratadrake/]FA[/url]
[size=9]Disclaimer: Posts may contain URLs. Click [url=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TVTropesWillRuinYourLife]at your own risk.[/url][/size]
SweetxinsanityxSarah
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm no wonder the peeps over in Japan lay on the floors. =P

But anywhos I'm hopeless without a pillow. I get major headaches if I dont have a pillow under my head. I know considering one time I was without a pillow and slept on the floor of my room. (Considering my inflatable bed ish kaputz)...yeah I woke up regretting it...and there was no tylelnol in the house. #_x
luckylace222
Site Helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]Do you sleep on your back or side?[/quote]
Both actually! I tend to switch spontaneously to get comfortable at night. I know sleeping sideways without a pillow is definitively dangerous, so I only sleep upright without one.

When I went to Vietnam, their beds were HARD FLAT WOOD beds. No soft cushions. It felt terrible every morning. Thus, I was not quite sure if my no-pillow policy was smart in the beginning.

[quote]I slept a night on the floor, flat on my back. I woke up and I was almost completely healed. [/quote]
When you say "healed," do you mean the pain lessened greatly, or could you feel a literal straightening of your back...or maybe even both? My back has never given out, but I am sure it is incredibly scary.

[quote]Sleeping on the floor sometimes even keeps you cooler on warm nights.[/quote]
Razz My dogs enjoy sleeping on my face just to counter that cooling result!

[quote]I get major headaches if I dont have a pillow under my head[/quote]
...Maybe you should get that checked. ;[ I have not heard that symptom before.
[size=10]“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.” ~Theodore Roosevelt [/size]
SweetxinsanityxSarah
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah I just have a soft head probly. xP
Plus im spoiled, most of the time I must have a big ass soft coushy pillow. Otherwise a bulky rocky one will make it impossible for me to sleep....when i sleep that is. xD
SILK
Forum contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can't fall asleep with out a pillow.
unfocused

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="luckylace222"]When you say "healed," do you mean the pain lessened greatly, or could you feel a literal straightening of your back...or maybe even both? My back has never given out, but I am sure it is incredibly scary..[/quote]I think both. Maybe laying on the floor straightened my back out so the pain reduced. I can't imagine sleeping on a hard flat surface every night, but once in a while it helps me a whole lot. As soon as I feel my back starting to tense up, I will sleep a night or two on the floor and that helps a lot, as opposed to continuing to sleep on my bed.

It was scary for me. Imagine being suspended in place, and any movement makes the suspension tighter. Like Chinese handcuffs for your entire body. It's hard to breathe, and every time you move it feels like your muscles are slowly crushing the bones in your back. And you cannot do a thing to stop it. Well that was my experience, I don't know if that's how it is for everyone else.
CrystalSabre

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sleep with a pillow- two, actually. Just the normal, regular ones for me. I can't imagine sleeping on the floor without one. Makes me cringe just thinking about it. I don't know how those Japanese do things like that.

Oh, and I have to sleep on my side. I can't sleep on my back.
BlossomHeart

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A pillow is for support and comfort.
It makes sure that the muscles in your neck, back and shoulders can relax and it also keeps the neck in alignment with the spine. So it helps preventing back problems.
You'll also just wake up more relaxed when there is no pressure on your neck, back or shoulders all night. You won't wake up with a stiff feeling or the feeling that you've been sporting all night long...

Well.. that's all I know xD
BlossomHeart

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="unfocused"]
Personally, beds mess me up. They hurt my lower back sometimes. And when that happens, I sleep on the floor without a pillow (I use my shoulder as a pillow) and I wake up feeling great.
[/quote]

Reconsider buying a new mattress and/or pillow... xD
marko
Newb

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: Sleeping with/without a Pillow Reply with quote

A pillow is a must if you sleep mostly on your side, your head rests comfortably. If you lie on your back, the pillow may be unnecessary. When my spine hurts, I do it only without a pillow, everything comes back to normal quicker.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: