Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
FAC being blocked by users of Firefox?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> FAC Site Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArielthePHF
Newb

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:28 am    Post subject: FAC being blocked by users of Firefox? Reply with quote

I gave a friend a link to my page on this site and her browser (Firefox) came back with a notice that this site has a 'bad reputation' and that she shouldn't come here. Huh? Well, OK... I know it doesn't get the traffic other places do, but bad rep? What gives?
Battou
Photo Lucidity Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FireFox is the most prevalent browser used by FAC's users, infact all three administrative staff use Firefox with no problems at all. Your friends issue is most likely a third party block on FAC on her end. I do know most public libraries and schools block FAC so it does happen.
[b]RPG[/b]-[i]n[/i]. A computer programing language designed for business reporting that generates specific programs from the users specifications.([b]R[/b]eport [b]P[/b]rogram [b]G[/b]enerator)[i]The American Heritage Dictionary[/i]

[u][url=http://www.photo-lucidity.com/user-Battou.php]Photo-Lucidity[/url][/u] - [u][url=http://www.fanart-central.net/user-battou.php]FaAC[/url][/u] - [u][url=http://www.funart-central.net/user-Battou.php]FuAC[/url][/u] - [u][url=http://forums.fanart-central.net/index.php]Joke of the day[/url][/u]
ArielthePHF
Newb

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, she said it was a third party addon that was preventing her from visiting the site. I'm sure she's got a way of overriding it if she wants to - though she was concerned that the site was on someone's 'bad reputation' list.
cstdenis
Evil Overlord

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that addon is the one I think it is, it shouldn't be used. Their reputation system is horribly broken and extremely easy for people to manipulate.
ArielthePHF
Newb

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found out what she entered was 'fanart.com' which was shown as unreliable. When I corrected her to go to FAC she said the add on had no problem with it. Whew!

Ariel
unfocused

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="cstdenis"]If that addon is the one I think it is, it shouldn't be used. Their reputation system is horribly broken and extremely easy for people to manipulate.[/quote]
Which addon are you talking about? I only use Web Of Trust, and it blocks 99% of the bad sites, and never FAC. Oh and avast! WebRep, but it's not as good as WOT.

I stopped using Firefox because it got really slow on my main machine. And I eventually got used to the speediness of Chrome, so that's all I use now.

edit: even Googles site blocker isn't as sufficient as WOT.
cstdenis
Evil Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WOT:_Web_of_Trust#Rating_quality_and_criticism

There was a site that goes into it's problems in more depth but I can't remember it's url.
ArielthePHF
Newb

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Actually, it's not my computer that's blocking it but a friend's. I'd directed her to come to this site to see my artwork and she was the one having trouble. We've since resolved it and she's even started an account here. Hopefully we'll both be posting pretties soon! Wink

Last edited by ArielthePHF on Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
unfocused

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully. Thanks for inviting her Smile

[quote="cstdenis"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WOT:_Web_of_Trust#Rating_quality_and_criticism

There was a site that goes into it's problems in more depth but I can't remember it's url.[/quote]I didn't know WOT had problems. I just always went by the amount of dangerous sites it blocks/gives ratings for. I honestly never been blocked from any of the sites I frequent, or want to visit. I only get blocked and bad ratings from sites I would only think are dangerous if I didn't have any protection to suggest it.
SweetxinsanityxSarah
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange, FAC at the library isnt blocked, firefox or original internetz.

And yeah about that previous prob your friend had, I kinda did the same thing a long time ago too and came up with the same prob. xP

I also did the same thing with Janime where a good yuigoh site used to be til they switched websites and all that jazz, a few of my wallpapers are still on that site...hnn I should sneak back there to see whats going on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> FAC Site Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: