Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Wacom Inkling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> General Art Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luckylace222
Site Helper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Wacom Inkling Reply with quote

Have you seen Wacom's new product? Inkling: You can sketch on ordinary paper with a special Wacom pen, and it will turn digital. I find it interesting.

http://www.wacom.com/Products/Inkling

[img]http://laughingsquid.com/wp-content/uploads/inkling-with-sketchbook-640x360.jpg[/img]
[size=10]“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.” ~Theodore Roosevelt [/size]
unfocused

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. I love my Intuos4 but it just doesn't have that sketch appeal. So I want to sketch out on ordinary paper and then scan my drawings. Which sucks because I'm stuck with a bunch of useless sketches that I don't want to throw away, lol.

This could be the answer! Thanks Smile
SweetxinsanityxSarah
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epic. Shocked

That I would sell my right boob to get. xP
CrystalSabre

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks silly to me. I'm sticking with pencil, inks, coloured pencils and good old fashioned sketchbook papers, thanks.
K_Pepper
Very bored

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silly? No sillier than those of us who use a tablet. *Me.* It's interesting, but I like what I have so much I'm not interesTED. Kinda neat how they combined the two though. But I like the editing capability of drawing it completely digitally. (Hand too small? Head too big? Quick resize! Saves a lot of erasing and redrawing. << )
unfocused

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what it needs, an eraser function. And it should take lead, not ink. Lead is alot easier to find, and cheaper.
Stratadrake
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, who does rough compositional sketches in ink? Kinda defeats the purpose of being able to erase/redraw as you go. Precision varies from 2~5 mm depending on position within the drawing area (5mm is about 1/4" -- definitely no fine details here)

It's looks like a neat little thing, and the ability to divide individual sketch lines into separate layers looks interesting, but it serves a completely different purpose than the traditional Wacom tablet. In fact, their own FAQ even recommends having a regular Wacom if you want to polish up and make it a nice digital sketch.
Strata here: [url=http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/242293]Nanowrimo[/url] - [url=www.fanart-central.net/user-Stratadrake.php]FAC[/url] - [url=http://stratadrake.deviantart.com]dA[/url] - [url=www.furaffinity.net/user/Stratadrake/]FA[/url]
[size=9]Disclaimer: Posts may contain URLs. Click [url=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TVTropesWillRuinYourLife]at your own risk.[/url][/size]
K_Pepper
Very bored

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to chuckle now; "who does rough compositional sketches in ink." *raises hand for ballpoint pen.* But I'm a weirdo and proud of it. Very Happy
CrystalSabre

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically, it's a black marker pen that I use. Berol. And, I sketch out in pencil first when I'm doing colour work. Sorry, it's just my opinion at this new invention here, that's all.
K_Pepper
Very bored

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the idea of it is to get a completely accurate "scan," since scanners can be such image-killers.

There's nothing wrong with working in digital media. Razz Nothing wrong with traditional either. I think both are equal, and depend on skill level.
unfocused

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the purpose is just to get that pen-on-paper feeling. That's what Wacom has been about all this time, so I'm kind of surprised they didn't make the Inkling better. They're probably just trying to make a few bucks off this one first.
luckylace222
Site Helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]I have to chuckle now; "who does rough compositional sketches in ink." *raises hand for ballpoint pen.* But I'm a weirdo and proud of it. [/quote]
Laughing I sketch with only pen nowadays too. I personally think it beats the constant erasing. Honestly, knowing that I can erase my mistake makes me make mistakes more.
[quote]
Which sucks because I'm stuck with a bunch of useless sketches that I don't want to throw away, lol.

This could be the answer! Thanks [/quote]
You would still be left with that puppy-dog eyed traditional sketches. ;-; You'll just have an awesome digital carbon copy!

[b]Inkling Pros:[/b]
-Alternative for scanning that can mess quality of work
-A real-to-digital layer interface for sketching
-High storage for sketches, you do not have to upload them immediately, it is your "sketch" jumpdrive
-Pretty good pen sensory, and your digital sketch comes out clean without any necessary quality editing

[b]Cons:[/b]
-They only have pen...
-Other than making the traditional -> digital process shorter, it really and truly is not something super special awesome. I would just wait for the price to go down if I really wanted it.
[size=10]“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.” ~Theodore Roosevelt [/size]
K_Pepper
Very bored

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually never checked to see how much the thing really is. Money is a good point. Half this site is made up of kids who wouldn't have the money to get this and would have to beg their parents... And the other half is us workin' people who have bills to pay! Hahaha.

I dunno, I do so much of my sketching right on the computer these days that I wouldn't really use this. My tablet and I are buddies. :B
Stratadrake
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="K_Pepper"]...since scanners can be such image-killers.[/quote]
Once you learn how to adjust your scanner's image settings it will [b]never[/b] kill an image again. I've had my scanner for near 10 years now and if it kills something, it was s my fault for screwing up the settings.
Strata here: [url=http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/242293]Nanowrimo[/url] - [url=www.fanart-central.net/user-Stratadrake.php]FAC[/url] - [url=http://stratadrake.deviantart.com]dA[/url] - [url=www.furaffinity.net/user/Stratadrake/]FA[/url]
[size=9]Disclaimer: Posts may contain URLs. Click [url=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TVTropesWillRuinYourLife]at your own risk.[/url][/size]
unfocused

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my scanner for ten years exactly, too. Lmao. But I don't care enough to try and fix the settings, or even clean it. I just use it for the sketches that I want to make digital drawings out of, not my real artwork. So I usually just use them as a base to work on. So the quality doesn't matter.

It's $200, which I think is a little too much for it. But I waited for the Cintiq 12wx price to go down, and it still hasn't. So I might not wait for the Inklings price to drop before I buy it.
luckylace222
Site Helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on how popular this Inkling will be. It will come out in about mid-September. Other artists may be wanting this for similar reasons as well, so yeah, it may not drop any time soon. How long have you waited for Cintiq 12wx's price to go down?

I honestly cannot tell if it is going to be popular or not...I am okay with just scanning my pictures and editing them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> General Art Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: