Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Parents and Children

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Philosophical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luckylace222
Site Helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Parents and Children Reply with quote

You know what? Parents need to stop talking behind their children's back. I find it just as disrespectful as children talking back to parents rudely when the parents are only attempting to help.

I am sick of "adults" saying things like, "When you get older, you will appreciate this," or "Do not talk back to me." What is happening in one's childhood determines what type of adult one will be, so not giving a child good reason for the upsetting problem and only saying they will have to wait to understand is a lazy short-cut that hardly gets the message across. If those adults looked back at their childhood when they were rude or disrespectful to their parents, I bet there was always for a legitimate reason, not because they were crude, immature, and ungrateful kids. When a parent says "do not talk back to me," the child can unconsciously hear that as, "Do not speak your opinion to me. Whether you are right or not, I will have my say. What you say does not matter." It infuriates me how the most inefficient ways to teach a child are the most common ways.

If one wants to be a good parent, one should answer and be respectful (not be a doormat, just respectful) to their kids, no matter how hard-headed and simple their questions are. It makes a bigger difference when one acts the part, not just exclaim words of justice. I know it takes great patience and integrity to raise children and teach them what is right/wrong, but in the end, it is also a test/teaching for yourself, and if you cannot remind yourself that every time you have a fight with your kids, maybe you should not have been a parent.

Sorry, rant. P;
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.” ~Theodore Roosevelt
setzaroth
Cold Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what sparked this?
luckylace222
Site Helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*twiddles thumbs* ;-;

I got into a verbal fight with my dad, which happens often, but instead of replying to my questions, he ignored me and told me to blindly do what he told me to do. I despise being forced to do something I do not think it is right, especially when I speak my mind, and the parent does not want to answer, which shows flaws and a lack of tolerance. Thus, my head starts filling with a huge rant about the common flaws of parenting, and I blogged about it. Laughing
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.” ~Theodore Roosevelt
blackcatcurse
Forum contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My parents always answered me when I had questions.

Then again, I was more mature than most people my age.

If they DO tell me to just do it, it normally means "do it now" and they'll explain it to me later.

I love my parents.
Cold Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackcatcurse wrote:

If they DO tell me to just do it, it normally means "do it now" and they'll explain it to me later.

I love my parents.

This is probably the best course of action.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Philosophical All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: