Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
What Would You Change on FAC?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> FAC Site Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luckylace222
Site Helper

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: What Would You Change on FAC? Reply with quote

[img]http://interfacematters.com/images/change.png[/img] (excuse the almost-irreverent image)

I want to know opinions on what you guys want changed/unchanged on FAC. Since I have become site helper, it is constraining to keep an unbiased opinion on the website, and I want other's suggestions on how to improve it.

This post is [b]NOT[/b] meant to badger FAC and complain about how it is the worst site in the world. Constructive and decent/realistic suggestions is what I would like to hear, and we will certainly put your thoughts into consideration. I am genuinely curious with your ideas on any contest, forum, profile/comment, (etc) changes!

[b]For starters:[/b]
- I have heard some users say they really liked Gety's pheral design for the forum page, so we should definitively consider using it for the new FAC update (better looking logo will attract more talented users)
- I have deemed ShadowFalcon as my official contest partner. I felt having only myself judge the FAC-hosted contests would be unfair, so he will help judge as well. I will probably have him numerically judge like me, and we will add the averages together to make the final score. I have not decided yet.
[size=10]“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.” ~Theodore Roosevelt [/size]
SweetxinsanityxSarah
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Gety's pheral, put that up on the main page, the other one is kinda creepy IMO. xP

(Those eyes...they are haunting. o_o )

And here's a suggestion. Say for instance if you block someone on the main page and they decide to badger you in the forums or PMs. How about a block system for that too? And an ablity to limit who comes into a thread you make etc.

Oh and as WynterRhapsody suggests; a like feature for the forums. xP
tofuproductionz

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the commenting system can be improved a bit. It's a bit frustrating to get e-mails telling you that you have a new comment, and for those who don't check their e-mails often, they'll probably never notice that they got any new comments in the first place. Forum replies included.

Maybe I'm a bit biased because I'm spoiled by dA's notification system. xD But I find it works really well, and maybe FAC could try something similar? That way, e-mail inboxes won't have to be cluttered as well. And if some people still like the e-mail system, there could be an option to turn it on?
luckylace222
Site Helper

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]And here's a suggestion. Say for instance if you block someone on the main page and they decide to badger you in the forums or PMs. How about a block system for that too? And an ablity to limit who comes into a thread you make etc. [/quote]
That is an interesting idea. I did not put into account the block system. -Maybe because I never block, haha. However, I should say you should keep PMs nonblockable because I feel if there is that tinge of misunderstanding, there is still a change to make it right with PM.

I do want the PM system, if at all possible, to lose the confusing "Outbox," "Sentbox," and "Savebox" feature. Just a "Sent," "Inbox," and "Trash" are okay with me.

I do know the mainpage commenting textbox will be more use-friendly in the new update.

[quote]I think the commenting system can be improved a bit. It's a bit frustrating to get e-mails telling you that you have a new comment, and for those who don't check their e-mails often, they'll probably never notice that they got any new comments in the first place. Forum replies included.

Maybe I'm a bit biased because I'm spoiled by dA's notification system. xD But I find it works really well, and maybe FAC could try something similar? That way, e-mail inboxes won't have to be cluttered as well. And if some people still like the e-mail system, there could be an option to turn it on?[/quote]
I agree about the cluttering of emails with FAC's system, but I do not know if we have the ideals to put a comment messaging system through FAC yet. ;__; I may be completely wrong about that since I am not the webmaster/programmer, but I feel if they were to establish that, it would take a LOT of work.

-Also, I have suggested that we have mainpage profile "online" as green and "offline" as red.
[size=10]“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.” ~Theodore Roosevelt [/size]
SweetxinsanityxSarah
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nuuuuuuu keep the save box feature in the PM! O3O
I have some of my best links/rp posts in there! Xx -clings to savebox- preciousssss

Redlight greenlight..hmm that sounds fun to me. xP
Is there an idle option too? (Ha sorreh...i grew up a yahoo messenger user so yeah. xD)

Or how about this? The LKFAA does it, so I think it would be fun to take a crack at it too. It has a thing where it indicates weather you are taking art trades/requests or not. (Red light for no, green for yes.)

And they have a trading tree, where one can make icons etc; plus a spot to toss up ones adoptables.

And they have an area where you can proudly show your friends art trades and gifts off they have givin you.

The only downside to all this is the fact TLKFAA likes to shut down alot due to overcrowding etc. xP

(Plus they have their own sketcher where many ppls collab and what not. Great for bonding with othe artists!)
luckylace222
Site Helper

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not know if we should actually build an Art-trade/request/adoptable option into FAC because there are FAC members that hardly ever do art-trades/do not draw/write, so being forced to work with that interface could be unnecessary for them. (At least I think that is what you are going for)

Eh, "online" and "offline" are good enough for me." Idle" really gets into the chatting thing, and to be honest, I actually like it when people do not know when I am perfectly open to chat/not chat. I like a sense of vague privacy.

Oh1 I did not know people used the Savebox that much!
cstdenis
Evil Overlord

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to eventually build somewhat of a system for trades/requests/commissions. It's not very high priority tho.
SweetxinsanityxSarah
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If ya want; I can show ya the site to help ya get a feel for the art trade/requests feature etc.

Gonna be a pain though since TLKFAA has sooo much on it. xD

I'd pretty much love to have the 'taking requests/trades yes or no' feature the most. I cant begin to say how many times ppls have ran up to me asking for a request when I made it clear in my blog they are shut down for the time being though i'd be open for art trades.

Ha now theres a one up we can have on TLKFAA, we can have a traffic option for Art trades and requests [i]seperatly[/i]. Say as in you dont like to do requests, but are happy to do art trades? That kinda thing.
luckylace222
Site Helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not many people look at blogs regularly unless the blog's title is REALLY interesting like "s;ifj;lsjg" or "389572957" or even better, "alfa7374shfahf4353523!"

I just put my art-trade/request status up on my profile, where everyone can see it.

I finally looked up "TLKFAA." The Lion King Fanart Archive? Am I looking at the right place? XD
SweetxinsanityxSarah
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yuppers! That's the right place. xP

I think you might have to be a member to feel all the benefits of the place though. But if you need to look at some features, look for the artist:

PanDOOMxMingLing That's me. You can lookie at my profile etc and check out the features etc.

(I'm not sure if you have to be a member to check out the coloring cave, sketcher, and trading tree though. oO )
doodlemancy
My First Post!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]- I have heard some users say they really liked Gety's pheral design for the forum page, so we should definitively consider using it for the new FAC update (better looking logo will attract more talented users)[/quote]

[i]Agreed. [/i]That Pheral on the main page is honestly terrifying, sorry. Scared the crap out of me upon my return to FAC. Those eyes are straight out of uncanny valley. o___o;;

Like others are saying, I would support some kind of "open for trades/requests/commissions" slots on my profile page.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> FAC Site Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: