Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Dark skinned black woman on ads and magazines

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raccoonlady

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Dark skinned black woman on ads and magazines Reply with quote

I want to see more dark skinned black women on magazines and ads. This is one thing I've been thinking about for a long time, is why dark skinned women are not beautiful?
That's because media does not portray us to be beautiful. I looked through 9 magazines yesterday while waiting for my appointment and I only saw white women on the cover. Also at walgreens through the make-up isle I only saw white women on the ads, and Hallie Berry.
I want to see a change in American media so society can change.
I notice many people preferring light skin over dark skin, saying light skin is beautiful. To me that's like a slap to Gods face saying his creation is ugly.
People in high school have even told me my sister who is light skinned is pretty. And the reason they gave was, "your sister is pretty, and she's light skinned too"
This preference is even pushing dark skinned women to bleaching their skin and damaging it. We as a society need to change.
SweetxinsanityxSarah
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind, this is the same society that thinks Justin Beiber is epic; and that Twilight is a master peice in literature and cinima. So yeah...this day and age is disappointing to me.

And I agree with you, there are some very lovely dark skinned women that should be praised more. The good goddess from Malbingo (Sp?) that is Morrigan's opposite. She is indeed enchanting. And Aliyah, she was beautiful too.

Plus there is a few dark skinned women I know of that put regular women to shame. I mean hell...quit having the pasty ones haunt the magazines and put some real beauties up on the pages! Racists...

Egyptians were also quite the lookers too back then. xP
Hell Marik Ishtar is dark skinned and I still wriggle at him when he's on screen lol. (Yugioh's Marik btw.)
phantom223

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our society if messed up in the head, they think one direction is better than the beatles.

beautiful woman call themselves ugly for the sake of attention.

40 year old men like a 10 year old children show called my little pony.

right now I can't think of anything else

but everyone is beautiful no matter what skin, shape or race you are.
our soceity was just dropped on it's head a few times when it was younger, that's all.
luckylace222
Site Helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]why dark skinned women are not beautiful? [/quote]
They are beautiful; you may have just gone through experiences where people have expressed ignorant/racist opinions about it.

I have seen plenty of black-skinned/dark people on magazines; you may not be looking at the right ones. Nowadays in this generation, people are accepting all kinds of models.
[size=10]“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.” ~Theodore Roosevelt [/size]
Raccoonlady

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there are some magazines that feature dark skinned women. But if you look through a magazine rack or ad, the only women you're likely to see is Hallie Berry, or Oprah.
Even Googling vanity fair or entertainment weekly. I didn't see dark skinned women on either image.
cstdenis
Evil Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well for one thing, it comes down to demographics.

A quick Google search shows population breakdown as
[code:1]White persons, percent, 2010 (a) 72.4%
Black persons, percent, 2010 (a) 12.6%[/code:1]

That basic fact alone means that almost 3/4 of the models should be expected to be white.

That doesn't account for everything, but it is an important factor.

Then there is also the targeted marketing of the magazines. They know that at least 3/4 of their readers are going to be white. Studies show that people want to see people that are similar to them (not just race, lifestyle etc.) so those are the kind of models they prefer.

In the end it of course just comes down to what makes the most money by targeting the largest group of people. I'm sure there are smaller magazines that target other social and ethnic groups too.
SweetxinsanityxSarah
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch, didnt know the percentage was THAT low. >_o

Oi..anything to make a quick buck. -3-
Raccoonlady

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that, which is a good argument. But I still wonder why lighter skinned black women are chosen over dark skinned women. It's either a white woman, Hallie Berry, or Beyonce.
luckylace222
Site Helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Because they look a little closer to the larger percentage, which Denis says, is something that people want to see. It makes magazines popular; that is the truth you will have to accept. However, that does not mean people do not see them as beautiful.

Also, Halle Berry and Beyonce pop up more often because they are talented in their field enough to be representatives.

There are a whole bunch of other great African American role models that are less popular, but that does not mean the world belittles them and only wans whites. A small percentage are still racist and hateful, but in this day and age, people are definitively giving African American models a chance (whether they have the talent and dedication for it is another thing).
[size=10]“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.” ~Theodore Roosevelt [/size]
Raccoonlady

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="luckylace222"]-Because they look a little closer to the larger percentage, which Denis says, is something that people want to see. It makes magazines popular; that is the truth you will have to accept. However, that does not mean people do not see them as beautiful.

Also, Halle Berry and Beyonce pop up more often because they are talented in their field enough to be representatives.

There are a whole bunch of other great African American role models that are less popular, but that does not mean the world belittles them and only wans whites. A small percentage are still racist and hateful, but in this day and age, people are definitively giving African American models a chance (whether they have the talent and dedication for it is another thing).[/quote]

Like it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: