Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Site linking problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> FAC Site Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SweetxinsanityxSarah
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Site linking problem Reply with quote

Although the site linking in pictures can come in handy..it's a double edged sword too. As in easy access for trolls and art theives etc.

For example: a few of my pictures have suffered from this. Some immature lil prats have linked my pictures to a few sites WITHOUT my permission. I have course taken a few of them down and reloaded them..but this is getting ridiculous to do. Now im VERY angry, for one of my popular Abel Constantine picture has infact come under this attack.

http://www.fanart-central.net/pic-790058.html

Now I cant remember exactly if I linked my picture at all on any other sites. However, I cant click on the link atm; due to my slow dial up computer. Plus who knows what's lingering on that site. If it's an artist whining though..I DID say I used a pride picture as reference in the pose and pants shine. But I found the picture on a photobucket/google search...so tough luck to them that I couldnt credit them. =/

But if it's another damn troll or art theif...-sighs and facepalms- I'm going to have to reload it again..which pisses me off cause alot of people liked this and might be too lazy to re-fav it.

Can we do something about this with copywright or something? As in permission to re-link it on other sites etc? Cause i'm getting rather tired of keeping constant watch over my gallery cause of immature asshats like these who cant face me but instead attack my art when my back is turned. --
luckylace222
Site Helper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...I did not even pay attention to the "Links" part until you pointed this out.

I clicked on your linked site, and this is what I read:

[quote]A busjacking by Jack Off Jill?
Theorized about on November 12, 2006.
The Jack Off Jill jack-o-rama continued this week as I placated my nostrils by spinning slightly about my electric oven and placing my Frigidaire around a pile of frozen treacle and horn-snottery. That squirrel-fox-dingo sure looked tired, if not exhausted out of its skin, but on it went: Upward, downward, inward, outward, back-and-forth–ward, forever jacking, jacking, jacking, and jacking. It didn’t stop—it couldn’t stop, not with that many crazed Goth chicks all around the poor, breathless animal.
Goth girls love those squirrel-fox-dingoes.
Pining once again for the graceful beauty of Alyssa Milano’s Feet, my old ship, now rotting at the bottom of the Pacific fjords, I sullenly bulled my way to a bus stop on Farnsworth Street, and demanded that I be able to take the bus home with me: I’ve always wanted my own autobus in my garage. The bus driver said no, of course, so I jacked up the bus, and, Jack Off Jill ever-present on my mind, sat down and soiled myself while weeping like a little child.
Anticlimactic, I know. So sue me, morons.[/quote]
I do not think your picture was used on this page...I am not sure how it even linked there. I looked at some of my other pictures, and one of them linked to some Badminton website...

I do not think anyone is accusing you of artistic dishonesty. How does this linking site thing work??
[size=10]“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.” ~Theodore Roosevelt [/size]
SweetxinsanityxSarah
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I myself have no clue how this occured. But I do know that if you put the LINK of the picture on another site...say for example I put one of my oldschool edo pics, or a link to it on the description I should say, that the link will pop up in your gallery picture of where it is being linked from.

The same can be said for others who do the same thing with your link.

However..this statement is a touch odd. The link is nowhere on the page you say? Oo

Either this is a very weird bug, or we got some serious troll problems.

Very much thanks for sniffing this out for me though Lucky, I greatly apperciate it. (I didnt want to have to take my picture down because of this sheer blog stupidity that's for sure.)
Stratadrake
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean the ability to copy the picture's direct URL and link that remotely from another site, instead of the picture [i]page[/i] URL?

Linking page content instead of the page in general is a problem on every site, not just FAC. Yes, we do need ways to discourage it.
Strata here: [url=http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/242293]Nanowrimo[/url] - [url=www.fanart-central.net/user-Stratadrake.php]FAC[/url] - [url=http://stratadrake.deviantart.com]dA[/url] - [url=www.furaffinity.net/user/Stratadrake/]FA[/url]
[size=9]Disclaimer: Posts may contain URLs. Click [url=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TVTropesWillRuinYourLife]at your own risk.[/url][/size]
SweetxinsanityxSarah
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-nodnod- yes like maybe we could do something to where in our editing picture page, add an option like "Enable url linkage to picture?" or have the link part appear on the editing page and be able to remove the links that pop up. Rather than just having to re-upload the picture again and again.

....and I still cant make heads or tails of that link. Oo

Damn weirdo trolls. (Does that person have terrets or what?)
cstdenis
Evil Overlord

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't prevent people from linking to an image file without also breaking the display of the image for some users, or using a lot of server resources we can't spare.
SweetxinsanityxSarah
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah snap xx

Well back to the drawing board I guess. Unless anyone else has any other ideas...?
cstdenis
Evil Overlord

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering that they can just download the image and upload it elseware it wouldn't accomplish much anyway.

And that definitely can't be prevented (tho I can with a lot of work make it more of a pain to do).
SweetxinsanityxSarah
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saving/downloading the picture itself doesnt bother me. But the linking to my pictures does cause I dont know what they are up to when these people do that. (One site a long time ago that linked to my picture was in japanese. Oo)

Though do keep the ablity to save the picture, cause I need that for when I have to save the picture, then resize it on image resizing sites. xx

(Scrollage bothers me greatly, especially when it's my own picture.)
tofuproductionz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's not much you can really do about linking pictures. If you want to prevent it, you can always put a watermark on your pictures. That usually discourages people.
luckylace222
Site Helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One day, I am going to attempt editing out a watermark with PS. Just you people watch!
[size=10]“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.” ~Theodore Roosevelt [/size]
Battou
Photo Lucidity Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="SweetxinsanityxSarah"]I myself have no clue how this occured. But I do know that if you put the LINK of the picture on another site...say for example I put one of my oldschool edo pics, or a link to it on the description I should say, that the link will pop up in your gallery picture of where it is being linked from.

The same can be said for others who do the same thing with your link.

However..this statement is a touch odd. The link is nowhere on the page you say? Oo

Either this is a very weird bug, or we got some serious troll problems.

Very much thanks for sniffing this out for me though Lucky, I greatly apperciate it. (I didnt want to have to take my picture down because of this sheer blog stupidity that's for sure.)[/quote]

I have noticed this with some frequency with PL. The link only appears after it's been clicked so someone came to the site from that one, never the less every time I follow one the url to and/or the image is never there. I've come to the conclusion that these weird random links must be directly related to an ad campaign that is running either that or every website that images from us gets used on has a scramble url function like photobuket used to offer (that is totally unlikely so....).

So from my experience they are nothing to fret over.
[b]RPG[/b]-[i]n[/i]. A computer programing language designed for business reporting that generates specific programs from the users specifications.([b]R[/b]eport [b]P[/b]rogram [b]G[/b]enerator)[i]The American Heritage Dictionary[/i]

[u][url=http://www.photo-lucidity.com/user-Battou.php]Photo-Lucidity[/url][/u] - [u][url=http://www.fanart-central.net/user-battou.php]FaAC[/url][/u] - [u][url=http://www.funart-central.net/user-Battou.php]FuAC[/url][/u] - [u][url=http://forums.fanart-central.net/index.php]Joke of the day[/url][/u]
SweetxinsanityxSarah
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is indeed quite odd. oO

And as for the watermark thing, I do sneak my own lil watermark in somewhere in editing via MS paint. Plus as an artist said to me once; my art is very recogniziable through it's style. As in no theives can try to sneak off with my art even if they wanted to.

And tinyeye is a godsend. x3
tofuproductionz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="luckylace222"]One day, I am going to attempt editing out a watermark with PS. Just you people watch![/quote]

Actually, it's quite easy if you know what you're doing. I've done it before just as a way of saying, "Ha! I can do it, in your face!" xD Don't do it for evil purposes though! D8
SweetxinsanityxSarah
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed do not! For Karma charger is always watching~ >3

(L4D reference)
Stratadrake
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you know the image's direct URL you can link to it. There's nothing we can do about that ... but it's the "knowing" part that we CAN do something about.

For example, instead of displaying the picture as an image element, display it as the background image in a <div>, with the <div> linking to the fullpage. Then we can set up some AJAX to capture normal clicking and swap the background out for the fullsize image. User attempts to right-click on the image and open in a new tab, they just get another copy of the fullpage.
Strata here: [url=http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/242293]Nanowrimo[/url] - [url=www.fanart-central.net/user-Stratadrake.php]FAC[/url] - [url=http://stratadrake.deviantart.com]dA[/url] - [url=www.furaffinity.net/user/Stratadrake/]FA[/url]
[size=9]Disclaimer: Posts may contain URLs. Click [url=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TVTropesWillRuinYourLife]at your own risk.[/url][/size]
luckylace222
Site Helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]Actually, it's quite easy if you know what you're doing. I've done it before just as a way of saying, "Ha! I can do it, in your face!" [b]xD Don't do it for evil purposes though! D8[/b][/quote]
I will do a whole tutorial for it. WHARGHARGH!
SweetxinsanityxSarah
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nuuuuuuuuu luckeh, dun invoke Karma Charger's wrath! D:

[img]http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/zz193/SweetInsanityOriginals/Demons/lol-2.jpg[/img]

^ Karma Charger

But yeah hehe, I had a feeling it would be an easy thing to do. Technology...always improving for better or for worse. xP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> FAC Site Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: