Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
New FAC Layout Bugs & Glitches
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> FAC Site Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do you think about the new site version?
Definitely better than the old version
20%
 20%  [ 6 ]
Mixed feelings
26%
 26%  [ 8 ]
Definitely preferred the old version
53%
 53%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 30

luckylace222
Site Helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:27 am    Post subject: New FAC Layout Bugs & Glitches Reply with quote

[b] Nobody freak out about the new changes. The staff is working on making the fresh version accommodate, just as we did when the blue format first went out. [/b]
[img]http://images.wikia.com/thehungergames/images/c/c8/Twitter_question_mark.png[/img]
Please direct all of your complaints, problems, glitches/bugs, and possible solutions to this forum post. The administrators will look into the issue if you provide enough evidence and details (screenshots of error messages, funky font, etc).

1. On the profile page, the "Favorites' Recent Pictures confused me a little. "Favorited Artists' Recent Work" would be a better term for it since "Favorites' Recent Pictures" makes it sound like I faved them specifically. It is a nice system to spread other art without having to stalk another profile for it. I think it blends too much with my personal artwork and favorite preferences though. Maybe make a little space between it and the 2 above rows?

2. On the profile, the number next to Recent Pictures is misleading. "Recent Pictures (5)" is giving the number of pictures that are allowed to show up on the profile page, not the number of my recent pictures. I do not think we need numbers next to those names. Maybe when we press "more" and go into the ex: Home » luckylace222 » Favorite Pictures, then we could see the statistics.

By the way, I love how nice the tab system is (especially for the Fans and Favorite Artists).

3. The 2008 profile comments from a long time ago are still showing up. I also cannot make any comments on the profile, but I can on pictures and other people's profile. The loading process for comments is also randomly slow at times.

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/7830/44166691.png

When I click on other people's profiles, I see their new 2012 comments though (just not on mine).

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/8572/40096195.png

4. When you press "All" to see all your profile comments, everything glitches. One picture appears here, comments from the past continue to show up in weird orders,the profile looks weird, the avatars on the right disappear, etc.

5. I wish the new textbox has a red-line if you misspell something....Where is the Spell check feature?

If there are more problems (which I am sure there are), please write them here. I have more, but let me find/explain it correctly.
[size=10]“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.” ~Theodore Roosevelt [/size]
Falconlobo
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

same with my pro i can't view new comments only 2008 only on other pros making new comments appear 2012 and online appears to be borken now too no names appear error when i was online and most likely others it might take a while to get things together but it looks neater on certain areas of the site otherwise

[img]http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj257/esmtie14/2hpoaao.gif[/img]
LOL dancing TMNT's
cstdenis
Evil Overlord

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]1. On the profile page, the "Favorites' Recent Pictures confused me a little. "Favorited Artists' Recent Work" would be a better term for it since "Favorites' Recent Pictures" makes it sound like I faved them specifically.[/quote]
I've renamed them some.

[quote]2. On the profile, the number next to Recent Pictures is misleading. "Recent Pictures (5)" is giving the number of pictures that are allowed to show up on the profile page, not the number of my recent pictures. [/quote]
The main purpose of the numbers was so you don't need to click the stories tab if you know it's empty (0). Perhaps a better way can be found for that.

[quote]3. The 2008 profile comments from a long time ago are still showing up.[/quote]
Yep. I've noticed this myself only affects users older than a certain date. Also probably affects some old stories. I've fixed the root cause of it, but it'll take a while for the data processing to go through and update the data necessary to fix it.

[quote]The loading process for comments is also randomly slow at times. [/quote]
This was caused by a hand-full users who have a ridiculously large number of comments on their profiles (the top one has almost 200,000). The new comment system wasn't able to cope with such massive comment counts on a single item. I've found the performance problem and fixed it so it should all load fast now. Note, if you click the "all" link on a profile that has a massive number of comments (like yours) it's obviously going to take a while to load.

[quote]4. When you press "All" to see all your profile comments, everything glitches. One picture appears here, comments from the past continue to show up in weird orders,the profile looks weird, the avatars on the right disappear, etc. [/quote]
Somewhere in yhose 10's of thousands of comments on your profile is one with really long text with no spaces like "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!" that is stretching the page. If you can find it and delete it, it should fix itself.

[quote]5. I wish the new textbox has a red-line if you misspell something....Where is the Spell check feature? [/quote]
Technicial limitations of web browsers interfear with for normal right-click, but if you ctrl+right-click you'll get your usual browser menu with spell check stuff.
cstdenis
Evil Overlord

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Profile comments should now be more correctly ordered. Replies aren't properly bumped yet, but it's closer to what it should be.
orianajones
Very bored

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="cstdenis"]

[quote]3. The 2008 profile comments from a long time ago are still showing up.[/quote]
Yep. I've noticed this myself only affects users older than a certain date. Also probably affects some old stories. I've fixed the root cause of it, but it'll take a while for the data processing to go through and update the data necessary to fix it.
[/quote]

My profile is older the Lucklace222's profile but I haven't gotten this issue as far as I am aware. My comments all seem recent. Maybe it could be another problem? Or maybe the date of the old comments showing is different for each person.

http://i.imgur.com/jFSO6.png

Coz I am pretty sure my comments are fine.

Edit; I should really read every comment.
Firiel
Has No Life

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[color=red]On the art submission form, the blank for reference reads "Refrence"... missing an E. <.<[/color]
Tinkster
Has No Life

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when I am logged in, I cannot comment or edit my own pictures because I get logged out. If i go to another page or someone elses picture, I get logged back in again.... weird. I can go any where on the site and make comments or whatever, but I cannot do the same on my own picture pages.

A while back, the same thign happened but only when I went into my profile.

I dont' know if this has anything to do with the layout, or if it is some sort of bug, but it is extremely annoying.
Music is the doorway to someones soul"
-ShadeArt
papiocutie
Very bored

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "Who's online" isn't working right.
cstdenis
Evil Overlord

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Firiel"][color=red]On the art submission form, the blank for reference reads "Refrence"... missing an E. <.<[/color][/quote]
Fixed

[quote="Tinkster"]when I am logged in, I cannot comment or edit my own pictures because I get logged out. If i go to another page or someone elses picture, I get logged back in again.... weird. I can go any where on the site and make comments or whatever, but I cannot do the same on my own picture pages.

A while back, the same thign happened but only when I went into my profile.

I dont' know if this has anything to do with the layout, or if it is some sort of bug, but it is extremely annoying.[/quote]
This sounds like a caching issue. I suspect you visited the page while you were logged out, so when you go back to it again the one you see is the logged out one. You will need to do a forced refresh to get the new version.
luckylace222
Site Helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, Firiel, I noticed that too. XD

1. The Preview button for comments does not work on the main page.

2. When I reply to someone on my profile, and their comment is on the bottom of my profile comment list, the entire comment and the reply jump to the top of the page. I can assume this is a new feature so you can see new replies better?

3. Instead of having Delete, Block, Reply, lets have [b]Reply, Delete, Block[/b] so the most used ones are closest (if that is possible).

4. Under "Edit Profile," what did ICQ ever mean?

5. Is there no alignment (left, right, center) in the text box anymore? We cannot code it?

I somehow really really like the Link box with the green "okay" button and the orange "cancel" button.

6. Not sure if this matters, but the default Time Zone for profiles became Central Standard Time (Africa/Casablanca).

Also, pictures are being submitted with incorrect time stamps.

Ex: http://www.fanart-central.net/pictures/user/BeatrizLoveMyJesus/827129/Emma-Watson-Hermione-Harry-Potter-Drawing
^She submitted that picture today, but it says she submitted it "October 26, 2012 2:38:10 AM"

7. Denis, can you screenshot your successful spell-checking in your new FAC check box? I am changing many settings, and I still cannot get a spelling interface to pop up on this text box. Is this just not compatible with spell checking? Does it work on Internet Explorer?

EDIT: Nevemrind. I downloaded the Google Chrome "Grammar and Spell Checker by Ginger" application! I have a spell check now!

8. Everything (sending comments, messages, accessing profiles) is faster now. Thanks.

9. On the main homepage, in the spirit of "POPULAR" works, can we have that row under Featured pictures instead of being the last row under Recent pictures?

10. I like it that we get a unanimous "New comment on your profile" email instead of an individual email for each individual artist's comment. Gmail puts it under one categorization and folder, and it is more convenient for me.

11. I highly doubt there are that many people online right now. That would be nice, but I am skeptical.

http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/5986/88112381.png

12. There is a missing spot in Recent Pictures on the main site's homepage?

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/3505/34579561.png

13. We have no featured artist anymore?

14. When you hover over a menu, the picture can sometimes block it a little.

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/3857/46174718.png

15. Something small: the "More" button skips to another line for Favorite Users on the profile page.

http://imageshack.us/f/831/10902324.png/

16. The only way to access PM now is to go to the Forums page? Also, my PM likes to say I have no new messages, but I do.

17. I am okay with pressing a "Recent Story" tab and getting "No results found." than have confusing numbers next to the titles.
[size=10]“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.” ~Theodore Roosevelt [/size]
DragonOfDarkness18
Forum contributor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Glitchs? Reply with quote

Not sure here but seems to show many people online that sure some wouldnt be online now just noticed that

And with the when deleted comments i dunno if gonna keep like that just says comment deleted instead of making boxes go away o,o; (as New Layout nor sure)

havent noticed anything else but just glad site is basically up and working good enough XD
Stratadrake
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Firiel"][color=red]On the art submission form, the blank for reference reads "Refrence"... missing an E. <.<[/color][/quote]
Minor typoes like that are definitely one of my all-time pet peeves (the inner Grammar Nazi is strong with this one...) .

[quote="luckylace222"]4. Under "Edit Profile," what did ICQ ever mean?[/quote]
ICQ is/was a chat client which assigned user ID numbers rather than alphanumeric usernames. I used to have one back in the day (#19253172 or something in that such vicinity). ICQ was later purchased by AOL and has more or less fallen into obscurity now.

[quote]6. Not sure if this matters, but the default Time Zone for profiles became Central Standard Time (Africa/Casablanca).

Also, pictures are being submitted with incorrect time stamps.[/quote]
These might be related. We never really got the time zone feature working properly in the old version.

[quote]7. Denis, can you screenshot your successful spell-checking in your new FAC check box? I am changing many settings, and I still cannot get a spelling interface to pop up on this text box. Is this just not compatible with spell checking? Does it work on Internet Explorer?

EDIT: Nevemrind. I downloaded the Google Chrome "Grammar and Spell Checker by Ginger" application! I have a spell check now![/quote]

Many Web browsers (well, PC versions anyway) have spell-checking features built right in these days - e.g. in Firefox right-click a textarea and "Check spelling" is readily available on the popup menu, no third party plugins required at all.
Strata here: [url=http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/242293]Nanowrimo[/url] - [url=www.fanart-central.net/user-Stratadrake.php]FAC[/url] - [url=http://stratadrake.deviantart.com]dA[/url] - [url=www.furaffinity.net/user/Stratadrake/]FA[/url]
[size=9]Disclaimer: Posts may contain URLs. Click [url=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TVTropesWillRuinYourLife]at your own risk.[/url][/size]
cstdenis
Evil Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replys to luckylace222

1. Works fine for me. Please elaborate.

2. This was supposed to exist in the old version, but I dont think it quite worked right. This feature being buggy in the old version is pretty much the reason for the screwey sort order for comments just after launch (bad data from old bugs)

3. This should have been suggested during the several months of beta testing. It's too late now to re-order something like this after launch.

4. It's an old IM program.

5. Not in the editor, but you can manually use [align] if if you really need it.

6. It's Oct 26th SOMEWHERE Rolling Eyes. Timezone tries to auto-detect for new users, but is a little messed up for old users. I need to look into that. If you edit your profile and set the time zone it should fix it.

7. dont know if it works in IE. Last I used ie, the browser didn't have any spell check built in. Works in Chrome and IE.

8. just a little hickup that got missed in testing because it only affected certain pages (which then slowed down everything from the extra server load)

9. The argument for putting it the way it is, is that popular pictures tends to move slowly and tends to have the same artists so recent submissions is moved up to get more exposure.

10. Ok.

11. Your right, the script that clears it got missed.

12. I noticed that. It's caused by their not being quite enough submissions since the date cut off. Hopefully the new version will generate a little more activity and the hole will fill itself.

13. Couldn't fit it nicely on the home page. Also, we haven't been featuring much in quite a while. Featured pics is enough. May come back someday.

14. This is because the ad is missing. With the ad back there is enough space.

15. Some people have too many faves, with 3 digits it's too wide to fit. Should work with 2 digit numbers like the screenshot tho. I'll look into it.

16. Nothing has changed with PM at all.

17. I'll see what I can do. I have an idea to deal with this well but haven't had time to deal with it yet.

[quote="DragonOfDarkness18"]Not sure here but seems to show many people online that sure some wouldnt be online now just noticed that

And with the when deleted comments i dunno if gonna keep like that just says comment deleted instead of making boxes go away o,o; (as New Layout nor sure)

havent noticed anything else but just glad site is basically up and working good enough XD[/quote]
Online fixed. Deleted comments with replies (that are not also deleted) appear like that (as they did in the old version). Looks like there is a bug causing ones without replies to also show up in some cases.
Dream_Fire
Newb

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well first off, on thing i noticed is that when im online it says im offline....other than that...i just dont like the layout and most of the people i talk to dont ether, i saw some of them post that they might move to DA just because of this new layout, though they ARE hesitant because all their friends are here. i would like the old layout back...OR a better idea, allow this current layout to be an optional one from the list of options.

this is just my voice and it may be a bit bias as i dont like change much. (personality quirk i guess) but i am not the only one who thinks so i am sure.
Stratadrake
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Dream_Fire"]...other than that...i just dont like the layout and most of the people i talk to dont ether, i saw some of them post that they might move to DA just because of this new layout, though they ARE hesitant because all their friends are here.[/quote]
Every time there's a major layout change on [b]any site[/b] you will find a lot of people complaining about how they liked the old version better. But it's [b]not worth rage-quitting over.[/b]

I will however add a poll so we can get some actual number data. Otherwise it's just hyperbole and that will get us nowhere.

[quote="cstdenis"]3. This should have been suggested during the several months of beta testing. It's too late now to re-order something like this after launch.[/quote]
Seriously, you're kidding.

Come to think of it, I don't particularly like the visual styling on the comment-reply box. The white background is just too bright for the grey-themed everything else.
Strata here: [url=http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/242293]Nanowrimo[/url] - [url=www.fanart-central.net/user-Stratadrake.php]FAC[/url] - [url=http://stratadrake.deviantart.com]dA[/url] - [url=www.furaffinity.net/user/Stratadrake/]FA[/url]
[size=9]Disclaimer: Posts may contain URLs. Click [url=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TVTropesWillRuinYourLife]at your own risk.[/url][/size]
Dream_Fire
Newb

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya i agree its not worth rage quitting over. i personally wont quit, just thought id voice what i heard. also i noticed that when i edit my profile it automatically thinks that i want to change my password so i have to delete the character in the first box for it to allow me to save changes., one more thing, i cant seem to use my feature other peoples submissions on my page, just my own (was it always like that? cause i saw other artists featuring other people art before the change) other than thouse i have found no other bugs yet, but ill keep searching.

[color=red][Edit][/color] on the forums profile, the [i]interests[/i] box will not register anything i put into it. it is always blank when i click [b]save[/b] even when i type words into it.

[color=red][Edit][/color] on the main page the [i]Who's online[/i] status is displaying a value of 0 (zero) in all categories (possible cause might be the fix used to correct the everyone ONLINE error, now everyone appears OFFLINE)

[End Message]
VampireWarith

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting that too, where it says [b]User Status[/b]. At first it said Online, now it says Offline even though I'm not Offline.

A few of my pictures look really faded, like what they looked liked a year or two ago before I darken them in.

I can't seem to [b]Auto-resize large Images[/b]

When it comes to typing in the [b]Description[/b], it's now mandatory to have all that Microsoft Word formatting?

What's the point in having a [b]Site Theme[/b] if there's only one choice to pick?

Last edited by VampireWarith on Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:29 pm; edited 6 times in total
Dream_Fire
Newb

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

agreed, i like alot of aspects of this new layout, but prefer the old one, im still finding bugs. i would like them to make this new layout (when bugs are ironed out) as an optional layout along with the original.

Anyway another bug/glitch found.

Paint chat does not work. it loads but to a plane grey page where nothing else happens. i can post the page source if ya want but ill take a wild guess that you can view it on your own ^.^ i dont know what the coding is supposed to look like so i saw nothing odd. i just guess something may not be loading right

[End Message]
VampireWarith

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I fixed the faded picures by uploading them again, but there thumbs still look faded and the Auto-resize large Images is still not working

Last edited by VampireWarith on Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
silly_rules
Newb

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care much for the new logo... I prefer the old one. It looked more "professional". I kind of like the layout of the pages though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> FAC Site Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: