Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Year of the Snake ~ 2013 Chinese New Year
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Contests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MadamePenguin
Newb

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Year of the Snake ~ 2013 Chinese New Year Reply with quote

{CONTEST CLOSED}

Winners!!!!!

1ST: Kyarlinn with 98.5 points!

2ND: K_Pepper with 90 points!

3RD: Raindrops with 85 points!

Hello everyone! My name is Madame Penguin, and I wish to hold a Chinese New Year contest since I am Chinese and no one else is doing a similar contest. There are very important elements to the Chinese New Year such as red and firecrackers (the color and sound wards away the Nian) as well as other traditions such as Moon cakes and red envelops filled with some cash. There are many other elements you can add or omit, but just have fun learning the culture!

Theme: MUST have a snake motif somewhere, have the color red, and have an oriental feel
Now the snake doesn't have to be obvious, just there. Red has to appear somewhere, but doesn't have to be the main color. If you include any of the elements I mentioned in my beginning summary, then you get 1 extra bonus point.

Entries: Only one entry will be judged

Deadline: CLOSED

Prizes: 1st - Fully colored personal request sent electronically or by mail if you want the original, 2nd - Black and White with background request, 3rd - Black and White character of your choosing (no background)
All get bragging rights!

Medium: Any (including but not limited to pencils, inks, photography, clay, photoshop, etc.)

Extra Requirements: Contest pictures can be entered into other contests so long as you have permission from the other host. NO PRE-EXISTING ART ALREADY POSTED ON HERE BEFORE THE DATE I POST THIS CONTEST CAN BE USED. I really would like to see some new art from all you amazing people out there! No rating limit, so anything goes.
If I don't get enough entries, those that do enter will get whatever wasn't given to the 3rd or 2nd place winners or however that turns out.

How to "correctly" enter the picture: Post you picture on fanart central, then post your link to the picture on this thread (and my profile if you want).

How I will judge:
Based on a 100 point system
Use of Theme (50 points)
Correct Representation of this Culture (25 points)
Originality (15 points)
Use of Other Characters/Zodiacs (10 points)
Extra Bonus Tiebreaker (4 points)

Current entries:
Falconlobo - http://www.fanart-central.net/pictures/user/Falconlobo/829556/Baby-Pandas-The-Cute-Way-to-Celebrate-The-Chinese-New-Year-Contest-MS-Paint
K_Pepper - http://www.fanart-central.net/pictures/user/K_Pepper/829753/2013-Year-of-Snake
Kyarlinn - http://www.fanart-central.net/pictures/user/Kyarlinn/829791/Year-of-snake-2013-contest.
Raindrops - http://www.fanart-central.net/pictures/user/Raindrops/829850/Happy-Lunar-New-Year
BlossomHeart - http://www.fanart-central.net/pictures/user/BlossomHeart/830018/Year-of-Snake

Last edited by MadamePenguin on Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:51 pm; edited 6 times in total
luckylace222
Site Helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IT SHALL BE JOINED!

Edit: Maybe!
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.” ~Theodore Roosevelt

Last edited by luckylace222 on Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
MadamePenguin
Newb

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe you may be the only one haha
K_Pepper
Very bored

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in this too. :3 If I have some time, I might draw something. If you're having trouble getting entries, maybe you should try what Luckylace does and post a piece of artwork advertising it?
tofuproductionz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to try too! I agree with K_Pepper. Posting a contest picture will get a lot more attention.
luckylace222
Site Helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YEAH STEPH, COPY ME

I will only call you a poser if you do it though.
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.” ~Theodore Roosevelt
MadamePenguin
Newb

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I did a little sketch earlier, and I'm going to probably do a full blown art one probably by Friday. I'll probably post the sketch later today :3 Thanks for the suggestions! Also thank you for participating~
Falconlobo
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is a motif?

LOL dancing TMNT's
Falconlobo
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.fanart-central.net/pictures/user/Falconlobo/829553/Baby-Pandas-The-Cute-Way-to-Celebrate-The-Chinese-New-Year-For-Contest this acceptable or is this better http://www.fanart-central.net/pictures/user/Falconlobo/829556/Baby-Pandas-The-Cute-Way-to-Celebrate-The-Chinese-New-Year-Contest-MS-Paint full view for both please

LOL dancing TMNT's
MadamePenguin
Newb

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falconlobo: A motif is just a common theme that appears a lot. As for your entries, I'll take your touch up one since you prefer it Smile

Everyone else: I might extend the deadline by a week!
Falconlobo
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks i was not sure if it was a wording thing^^

LOL dancing TMNT's
luckylace222
Site Helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Everyone else: I might extend the deadline by a week!

Thank the Gods! -And submit that picture advertisement to your gallery!
MadamePenguin
Newb

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my picture can be found here:
http://www.fanart-central.net/pictures/user/MadamePenguin/829671/Happy-Year-of-Snake

It obviously didn't get much attention, but otherwise I think it turned out fine Smile
In regards to the requirements, it has a snake, it is red, it is interacting with a dragon which is one of the other years, and has a watercolor background to help emphasize the paintbrush look that is symbolic of the way they write sometimes (also shown in the first post when painting the snake). Make sure to watch the talons on the dragon's feet though. Unfortunately I couldn't remember if it was 3 or 5 talons in China, so I stuck with 3 but then I realized it was 5 so that means I would get a deduction in the cultural aspect. Then again talons can also symbolize status in the Chinese hierarchy...
BlossomHeart

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will join if I have enough time :c
.. F* TIME AND SCHOOL >:l

I will join this contest in hard core mode! A.K.A. my entry will look horrible.. In hardcore mode ! >:l

I'll also try to get some more people to join. ;o
Kyarlinn
Newb

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think i will join ! I've got some ideas Smile
But yea same as Blossomheart, school takes my time ALOT D: Hope you will extend that date to a week later cuz im not sure if i can draw it in time D: Guess imma put my ALL in it :3
DragonOfDarkness18
Forum contributor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah i shall try this seems fun. Hope i get done in time o,o
K_Pepper
Very bored

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaaaand, here's my entry!

http://www.fanart-central.net/pictures/user/K_Pepper/829753/2013-Year-of-Snake
MadamePenguin
Newb

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so excited now that so many are just THINKING about entering! I have now extended the deadline by one week to help all of you Smile So many good artists~
Kyarlinn
Newb

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: MY ENTRY ! Reply with quote

Sooooo here's my entry guys ! http://www.fanart-central.net/pictures/user/Kyarlinn/829791/Year-of-snake-2013-contest.
K_Pepper
Very bored

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesss! Another one joins our number!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Contests All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: