Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Do rats attack medium sized dogs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raccoonlady

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Do rats attack medium sized dogs Reply with quote

So I always heard that rats are really aggressive and after seeing Willard I got freaked out. I had rats running in my ceiling, but now they're in my living room. I keep my dog in my moms room.
I would so much rather mice, but it's big black rats. I'm afraid they'll give my dog rabies or something. (he doesn't have his shots, theyre too expensive)
See I really want to get him his shots but my mom would rather pay the bills first. Which I guess is a necessity.
I don't know how to get rid of them. They keep coming in, and my landlord won't do anything, my mom said I shouldn't make a big deal out of it because we'll get evicted, and it's too expensive to move.
What is the likely hood of them attacking him?
My dog is a shepherd mix, but he's really timid.
And it's not like anyone can baby sit him because I have school and work.
K_Pepper
Very bored

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I'd consider getting the dog his rabies shots a huge priority here. I don't know what it's like where you are, but they require us to by law here. They even have free rabies clinics once a year so that everyone can have their animals vaccinated. Hunt around your area and find out; perhaps there's one near you that you don't know about, so you can get your puppy his shots without paying a bunch of money!

As for the rats, I honestly don't know much about pest control, and I know exterminators are expensive. But worry about the dog first!
Battou
Photo Lucidity Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a rat attack the end of my rifle as well as on another occasion my foot, not to mention all the brawls with my cats with the occasional cat coming home bloodied. That said, Yes there is a possibility your dog could get attacked. Get him his shots and buy some traps kill some rats.

BTW, You haven't seen a "big black rat" until you have to use a rabbit trap to catch them.
[b]RPG[/b]-[i]n[/i]. A computer programing language designed for business reporting that generates specific programs from the users specifications.([b]R[/b]eport [b]P[/b]rogram [b]G[/b]enerator)[i]The American Heritage Dictionary[/i]

[u][url=http://www.photo-lucidity.com/user-Battou.php]Photo-Lucidity[/url][/u] - [u][url=http://www.fanart-central.net/user-battou.php]FaAC[/url][/u] - [u][url=http://www.funart-central.net/user-Battou.php]FuAC[/url][/u] - [u][url=http://forums.fanart-central.net/index.php]Joke of the day[/url][/u]
Raccoonlady

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your answers.
No, they're big black rats. They come from the river and used to nest in my ceiling. It's kind of pointless to say I didn't say see it, when I have. Unless you're referring to something else.
And I tried convincing my mom to let me and my friends take him to the SPCA, but my mom said he "has" to be taken to north shore because they have his records.
Sometimes mom has a hard time mobilizing so I just accepted it.
It would be awesome if I could just sneak him to the vet, but I don't want her getting mad and having our relationship ruined further more.

Apparently poison attracts them, but what about those decon rat traps?
Is it worth it to get them?
Battou
Photo Lucidity Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had much luck with rat traps, The river rats we have up here just shrug them off and I can't use poisons with the cats around. I usually resort to larger live traps and shooting them. Somehow I don't think shooting them is is a viable option for you.
[b]RPG[/b]-[i]n[/i]. A computer programing language designed for business reporting that generates specific programs from the users specifications.([b]R[/b]eport [b]P[/b]rogram [b]G[/b]enerator)[i]The American Heritage Dictionary[/i]

[u][url=http://www.photo-lucidity.com/user-Battou.php]Photo-Lucidity[/url][/u] - [u][url=http://www.fanart-central.net/user-battou.php]FaAC[/url][/u] - [u][url=http://www.funart-central.net/user-Battou.php]FuAC[/url][/u] - [u][url=http://forums.fanart-central.net/index.php]Joke of the day[/url][/u]
Raccoonlady

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, it's not.
But one thing that irritates me is why we have to live like this.
Both you and I, and other people just shouldn't have to deal with this.
It is what it is, but still it irks me.
luckylace222
Site Helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you know that my true fear is rabies? Reading this thread makes me near-hyperventilate.

[quote]I'm afraid they'll give my dog rabies or something. (he doesn't have his shots, theyre too expensive) [/quote]
Look up on Google: "[u]insert your town and city here[/u] free rabies shot" Free rabies shots and clinics exist, and since rabies is such a spreadable disease, some clinics that charge for shots are only selfishly opening society up for an epidemic. Personally, I think all rabies shots should be free and wide-spread for the safety of society, and that is not just my paranoia speaking.

[quote]No, they're big black rats. They come from the river and used to nest in my ceiling. [/quote]
I know this is beside the point, but those poor rats. One of them could become a talented chef in Paris, France.

[quote]It would be awesome if I could just sneak him to the vet, but I don't want her getting mad and having our relationship ruined further more. [/quote]
She would be angrier when 3 dead rats fall down from the ceiling, and 2 rats are suffering from aggressive rabies, bite your dog, and then bite her.

Forget her; she is lacking some survival tactics. When you see rats, that does not mean "Oh, they will go away in the Winter." That means 1. damp/moist/ideal area 2. spoiled/ideal source of food 3. cozy and secretive hiding area 4. Quick reproduction (they will overpopulate you quickly) 5. Invite of the insects attracted by rat feces 6. Dangerous mold and bacteria grow in your ceiling and later infect the basic toiletries in the bathroom, closet, bedroom 7. The whole ecosystem comes into your "house." You might as well be living out in the wilderness 8. Your dog might get hurt

[quote]But one thing that irritates me is why we have to live like this.
Both you and I, and other people just shouldn't have to deal with this.
It is what it is, but still it irks me.[/quote]
It seems that you calculated ways to [i]not[/i] live like that? What is stopping you?
[size=10]“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.” ~Theodore Roosevelt [/size]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: