Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Some tips for original works

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Artistic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yuai77
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Some tips for original works Reply with quote

I've discovered recently that I can draw almost anything by looking at it and copying what I see, but when it comes to creating my own stuff i.e. original characters, I find myself kind of stuck. I just can't make my creation look good at all.

Any tips would be welcome.
[url=http://dragcave.net/view/OrTsg][img]http://dragcave.net/image/OrTsg.gif[/img][/url]
SweetxinsanityxSarah
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The art of mimicry I see, I too am good with this. I can see an artwork pose or being, and draw them WITHOUT having to trace any single line.

Here's how I overcame my hurdles of original character poses etc. You need a very good imagination; mind's eye mind you for this.

For example, the thinker statue...you want a character in that pose right? Imagine...say a good example, Ulquiorra in that pose, in segunda etapta form even. Think hard of the agile wings curled behind the body, the way his face is expressioned in that famous stone faced look. And with the thinker pose itself as a base, you can just imagine Ulquiorra in that exact pose while also looking at a reference of thinker and another of Ulquiorra segunda etapa for the wings, claws, tail, etc. With that you can pull it off by combining the two seperate elements into one complete picture.

And hell, use poses of friends or even just averge people walking down the street to help as models of whoever you wish to draw, think of them as you draw the pose and then add the character's appearence to said pose. Keep at this lil trick and you'll be able to do your very own poses in no time.

After all, the mind is the strongest tool in art...and imagination is limitless.
K_Pepper
Very bored

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found that understanding the form and function of what you're drawing is the best help. Once you understand the anatomy; the bone and muscle structure beneath the skin, and the way each limb and join moves, it's that much easier to pose the body yourself instead of having to always reference something. Studying anatomy doesn't sound very exciting, but it IS very rewarding. If you're good at copying, make an effort to understand WHAT you're copying - not just the outline, but the structure beneath.
CyberIrina
Newb

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:30 pm    Post subject: Change direction Reply with quote

I think stepping away from copying has had it's toll on you.I remember when I first started out, I did the same thing until I got frustrated and wanted to create my own poses, characters ect.
I would suggest breaking away from copying other characters and sitting down with a 'how to draw anatomy book' and sketch from that.
You'd not only be learning how the body moves, but also gaining skill that would benefit you as well.
Also, study from how Disney does movement. Line of action is your best friend 8D. It can add some really great dramatic poses.
Study study, keep breaking from the bubble of your artistic security. You're going to have doubts, but that's okay! Just keep pushing yourself and practicing. That's key. Don't give up and just keep going. You'll always want to get better, every artist is like that and just want's to keep pushing them selves.
But you can do it. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Artistic Help All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: