Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
I think Fanart-central needs new features

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> FAC Site Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SailorSeiyaDigiJem
Newb

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:54 pm    Post subject: I think Fanart-central needs new features Reply with quote

When I signed up for Fanart-Central and I think Fanart-Central have something missing.

I suggest Fanart-Central needs:

1. Edit comments: Since DeviantArt have ability to edit your own comment like fixing your grammar and fixing the typo. The Fanart-Central should have that feature too.

2. Comments on blogs: Come on, I need give an opinion on what the blogs is about. Posted blogs on Fanart-central without comments is meaningless.

3. Fix your error about the blogs: When I noticed on other blogs that says "edit" and "delete" on the top right corner and I click the "delete button". I deleted other people blog because I want to test it out and the blog is completely removed.

4. Make regular Fanart-central connect to Forum Fanart-Central: when I go to FAC forum and I need to login to this forum site. Why not automatically login to FAC forum website without logging in to this site? Since FanArt-Central and Fanart-Central forum are made by same people after all.
Firiel
Has No Life

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't noticed the blog issues because they aren't a thing I bother with a lot, but I do agree that having the main site more closely tied to the forums might be nice.

I would love to see the return of official contests - I know they were more Lucky's department and she's gone now, but it was fun to see people doing different interpretations of the same topic, and to have a little spike of activity encouraged by the administration. Or lacking that, maybe we could work on some grassroots contests with wider support? People don't use the forums a lot so we would need to figure out a system of posting an announcement on someone's personal profile, signal-boosting it for interested parties, and linking back to a central location which would contain rules, lists of who was in on it so far, and announcements when the winner happened like the old official contests did.

Also, it would be Really Cool if somebody would either work on updating categories, or teach somebody else how to do so - keeping an eye on potential categories has been a long-running hobby of mine on here, and we've had three series which have passed their minimum required number to be made into categories for a long time now without that happening. I'm not certain whether category updates are even on the agenda as things which can happen anymore, which is kind of sad.
Morpher
Forum Scalleywag

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is a reason why the main site and forums aren't connected. However I can't recall what it was...

@Firiel - I do agree that getting people to acknowledge user generated contests is quite an endeavor because no one really visits the forums anymore. I was thinking that there could be something equivalent to the 'Site News' section on the main page but have it be used by users to announce their own contests.
Firiel
Has No Life

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Site News on the main page with an open-posting innovation for competition announcements, and maybe also for people expressing willingness to do requests/trades/commissions, does sound like it could be a Useful Thing. Smile
Stratadrake
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Morpher"]I think there is a reason why the main site and forums aren't connected. However I can't recall what it was...[/quote]
Difficulty of integrating the login sessions. phpBB2 does not like hacking, especially with its login sessions.
Strata here: [url=http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/242293]Nanowrimo[/url] - [url=www.fanart-central.net/user-Stratadrake.php]FAC[/url] - [url=http://stratadrake.deviantart.com]dA[/url] - [url=www.furaffinity.net/user/Stratadrake/]FA[/url]
[size=9]Disclaimer: Posts may contain URLs. Click [url=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TVTropesWillRuinYourLife]at your own risk.[/url][/size]
Firiel
Has No Life

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes sense.
Morpher
Forum Scalleywag

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Stratadrake"][quote="Morpher"]I think there is a reason why the main site and forums aren't connected. However I can't recall what it was...[/quote]
Difficulty of integrating the login sessions. phpBB2 does not like hacking, especially with its login sessions.[/quote]

Ah, there's the reason. Thanks for the answer, Stratadrake.
Stratadrake
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At one point I was able to figure out the forum's login system enough to sort of create a phpBB login cookie in tandem with a mainsite login, but it didn't work consistently. Having the mainsite and forums on separate subdomains didn't help the matter either.
Strata here: [url=http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/242293]Nanowrimo[/url] - [url=www.fanart-central.net/user-Stratadrake.php]FAC[/url] - [url=http://stratadrake.deviantart.com]dA[/url] - [url=www.furaffinity.net/user/Stratadrake/]FA[/url]
[size=9]Disclaimer: Posts may contain URLs. Click [url=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TVTropesWillRuinYourLife]at your own risk.[/url][/size]
Jadis
Still very bored

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: I think Fanart-central needs new features Reply with quote

[quote="SailorSeiyaDigiJem"]When I signed up for Fanart-Central and I think Fanart-Central have something missing.

I suggest Fanart-Central needs:

1. Edit comments: Since DeviantArt have ability to edit your own comment like fixing your grammar and fixing the typo. The Fanart-Central should have that feature too.

2. Comments on blogs: Come on, I need give an opinion on what the blogs is about. Posted blogs on Fanart-central without comments is meaningless.

3. Fix your error about the blogs: When I noticed on other blogs that says "edit" and "delete" on the top right corner and I click the "delete button". I deleted other people blog because I want to test it out and the blog is completely removed.
.[/quote]

these observations were not addressed in response. are these things true? have these things been corrected? I think it's great that I can edit my forum posts, so it seems odd that everything else should not be easily edited.
Morpher
Forum Scalleywag

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anything about this blog error, though if it is happening enough it should be reported as a bug.
---

As for the other stuff (IMO) I feel that editing comments on the main site isn't all to important especially if you have the option to delete your comment(s) and correct it that way.

And yes, you can't comment on blogs. I don't mind but, I can see why some may want to be able to comment on them. The staff might be able to add it in though I can't speak for them and say for certain that they can. But, if they are able to implement comments on blogs I feel they should also allow those said comments to be turned off as well.
Stratadrake
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: I think Fanart-central needs new features Reply with quote

[quote="Jadis"]these observations were not addressed in response. are these things true? have these things been corrected?[/quote]

[b]Never[/b] assume that silence means a refusal to respond. That being said . . . .

1 - Editing comments isn't a high priority. This is part of what preview functionality is intended to prevent, plus the site is currently using a modern WYSIWYG comment editor (effectively previewing your comment in real time).

2 - Comments on blogs. I agree that the feature probably should have never gone live without this ability -- every form of user submitted content needs a supporting comments framework.

3 - Unfortunately my status as admin prevents me from researching the delete bug (admin power and all) but I can pass the report along to the webmaster for investigation.
Jadis
Still very bored

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im sorry if my comment sounded accusing I didn't think anyone was refusing to answer I was just curious. thanks for the information
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> FAC Site Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: