Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
how does the front page feature section work?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> FAC Site Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jadis
Still very bored

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: how does the front page feature section work? Reply with quote

it seems all the featured art is old, some a few years old even, and the feature has not been updated for a long time.

Who choses the feature art, how and how often is it updated? could we maybe get it updated more often? I suggest new feature art for every month, and include in the feature atleast one art posted in the past month and one artist who joined the site within the past month.
Morpher
Forum Scalleywag

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The staff has the power to make artworks featured. There are certain qualifications for artwork to be featured: [url=http://forums.fanart-central.net/viewtopic.php?t=25067&start=0]Criteria for featured art[/url].

You may also suggest any artwork that you feel meets these criteria here: [url=http://forums.fanart-central.net/viewtopic.php?t=25067&start=0]Featured Art Proposals[/url]

The reason why there isn't so much new featured art is because alot of the artwork posted doesn't meet the criteria to be featured.

However, for those that don't meet the criteria there art can appear in the popular images section. They appear there based on the number of votes the artwork receives from users, (I believe it's a minimum of three votes) for your art to appear in the popular pictures.
Stratadrake
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately FAC staff (being all of three people currently) do not actively surf the new submissions to find things that are feature-worthy, which sort of means that unless somebody suggests something to feature, nothing new gets featured.

Indeed, the idea of featured art is to show off the most talented of the userbase, and there's always a quality-quantity tradeoff to keep in mind: skilled artists and prolific artists rarely overlap.
Strata here: [url=http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/242293]Nanowrimo[/url] - [url=www.fanart-central.net/user-Stratadrake.php]FAC[/url] - [url=http://stratadrake.deviantart.com]dA[/url] - [url=www.furaffinity.net/user/Stratadrake/]FA[/url]
[size=9]Disclaimer: Posts may contain URLs. Click [url=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TVTropesWillRuinYourLife]at your own risk.[/url][/size]
Jadis
Still very bored

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Stratadrake"] there's always a quality-quantity tradeoff to keep in mind: skilled artists and prolific artists rarely overlap.[/quote]

I understand your bias, and I don't fully agree. some very skilled artists are prolific... practice makes perfect [or better anyhow].However, most HIGH ART type artists will not post every little sketch doodle and carving they make as some of us do. I am actually quite skilled when I have the time and take the time. My gallery here certainly doesn't reflect that because I operate outside my comfort zone almost always, trying new things for fun and share those efforts...and my fan art is not FINE ART, its FUN ART.

that being said, I think only high quality art should appear in the feature, However this being a fan art site, I think the things currently featured misrepresent the site somewhat, I would like to see really well drawn fan art in the feature, and really well done cartoons, rather then mostly conceptual photorealism and such.

what is the main purpose of the features? is it to encourage or reward those who are featured? to attract new members to the community? to get more attention given to worthy works which might have been over looked?

why not delegate the looking through all submissions to someone else, say feriel for example, who seems to like suggesting features? perhaps if you invited her [or someone else mature in the site] she could assemble a top ten list each month or something and pass it on to you.

you say you can't do things because there are only 3 of you, but this is something which could be delegated to a mature consistent community member without coding skills or high level clearance or whatever.

not letting others get involved is a good way to kill a site, because a few can't do it alone...a;; the coding and community building and problem solving...and people eventually move on so your few will get fewer if you never invite new people. why not delegate community building?
Firiel
Has No Life

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like keeping an eye out and suggesting things, but I'm afraid I might be a little bit of a snob when it comes to feature suggestions, myself...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> FAC Site Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: