Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Style

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> General Art Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morpher
Forum Scalleywag

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Style Reply with quote

EDIT: DEAD TOPIC. MOVE ALONG.

IDK if it's just me but, when I think about it, most (but not all) artists, art teachers, and so on, preach that you should find your own artistic style but, they ultimately end up teaching you their own.

I mean, doesn't that make the very people who preached this hypocrites? What do you guys think of this? (Or if you want to be broad) "style" in general?

Last edited by Morpher on Fri May 13, 2016 2:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
Firiel
Has No Life

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um... I'm not sure I have enough experience in this area to be certain. I have had a couple of art teachers with preferences as to what got turned in for homework, but to me in the two instances I have experience with, it seemed less - do as I do not as I say, and more - I want you to learn realism first so I know you [i]can [/i] do it if you need to, and once you've got the basics down, if you want to do whatever you like then as then you can. In one teacher's case with an emphasis on knowing whether there was an existing market for what you wanted to do, with the assumption that he was talking to students who wanted an art career which would pay them. Could I have some more specific examples of what kind of thing you're talking about?
Morpher
Forum Scalleywag

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]Could I have some more specific examples of what kind of thing you're talking about?[/quote]

^What I'm getting at: "when artists teach other artists (or aspiring artists) they end up teaching them their way" and by "their way" I mean teaching others their own unique artistic style.

However... I think you actually do understand this from this response. ↓

[quote="Firiel"]I want you to learn realism first so I know you can do it if you need to, and once you've got the basics down, if you want to do whatever you like then as then you can.[/quote]

^Which is actually a great point you bring up which I overlooked. Most for the most part do teach realism so that you may understand whatever it is your drawing.

Now I'm wondering if the art style of artist who is teaching realism unknowingly bleeds over into there demonstrations on realism (due to it being inherent), and when others are learning from said demonstrations they just end up learning style of the artist teaching them assuming it to be as what realism is...
---

Hm, I don't know if my ramblings are making any sense. But, I figured some stuff out thanks your response! I'm gonna let some of this digest in my brain and see were it leads me. Cool
Firiel
Has No Life

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was a matter of the teacher's style unknowingly bleeding into their teaching of realism, would having multiple teachers over time or using extra curricular advice to help your practice on their own time diminish the risk of a student's becoming one prof's copycat?
Morpher
Forum Scalleywag

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After much contemplation I've come to the conclusion that... I've got beef on this subject at had for other reasons that I'm not willing to get into here. (Not really important anyway.) So I think I'm just gonna let this topic die for now. Maybe I'll come back to this one day, or maybe not.
---
But, to answer you Firiel, I feel that switching with multiple teachers could decrease the chances of becoming a copycat a fair amount but, I still feel that students would still pick up on teachers style if they find that drawing whatever it is they are drawing is much easier to do so in one style then another. (If that make's sense.) It seems the only way that this kind of thing could be prevented is that an aspiring artist is to never see any form of art, which, is kinda impossible. (Unless as soon as they were born you isolated them from all art or something. Rolling Eyes )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> General Art Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: