Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Site Performance
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rayne
Newb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really wish I could just *get* my pictures.. then I would do the same, put them on my site, and just generally be less of a pain.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TenthDivine
Canhas uzertitle nao?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the number of artists also affect the site? Some people don't even post pictures or fanfiction, they just register to comment and stuff. It might be unfair but couldn't you remove those people's accounts to free up space? But don't listen to that, it was just a thought... . . . .
heartless91
Newb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how can young teenagers help get the site back on because this is the best site ive ever been to. I want to be good for once and help
about how much time will it take until the site goes back on and if it does will all of our art be errased?

PLEASE ANSWER ME THIS TIME
<_<
Raymei
Oldbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys!
They don't know when the site will be up, they're working as hard as they can to get it up faster! o.o just be patient, it's only been a few days. Read a book or something!

And the problem isn't how many members, it's how many people view the site in total. So even if people don't have an account, they're still visiting the site and bringing its bandwith down.

Right?

On top of that o.o Yeah, I kinda miss the good ol' days where know one really knew about the site that much. But hey, that's what happens to good things, right?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
heartless91
Newb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok just wanted to know because almost everyone ignores me

They shouldnt be working too fast but thanks anyway for working hard

does anyone know why there never is anyone in the chatroom? its empty everytime i go there or its just my screen .I really like to chat.

If it does work and its just me typing the wrong thing can anyone please instruct me? Sad i miss the chat room. It was so fun annoying the hell out of lasher with caps.

o and im a girl not a boy
heartless91
Newb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

o and also how do you put a picture under the screen name nickname whatever you like to call it im new to this forum
TenthDivine
Canhas uzertitle nao?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not for nothing, but...how DOES bandwidth work anyway? Color me curious and dense at the same time ^_^
heartless91
Newb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i guess the bandwith is like the amount of space in a site or computer. like they need more bandwith to fit all the crap we put on the site. Hopefully some people will get ride of all their useless drawings.

it makes sense to me but i cant really define it. ^_^
fev
Newb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow.. ok guys.. bandwidth is completely different from webspace....

each time you look at something its bandwidth.. say for example you upload a 100k file... now when people look at it (including you) each look uses 100k bandwidth.. so if 35 people look at it, it uses 3500k, 3.5 megs of bandwidth.

if you link it onto another message board, people use bandwidth from this site when they look at the page you hotlinked it to.. that all adds up.. anyone who hotlinks artwork from here is doing this site a disservice.

fallenangel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, Fev pretty much covered what bandwidth is, but I'll try n' cover the rest of it.

~ We don't know when the site will be back up, but as soon as a decent solution/s is found, it'll be up as soon as possible.

~ if there's no one in the chatroom, it's either a slow day (it's been a long time since I've seen no one in there, though) or you don't live in the states and are on at odd times (for us). Are you using the java applet or mIRC? If java, it's definitely taking you to the right place and there's just no one there. If you're using mIRC, make sure everything follows the instructions on the chat page (when it's back). Correct server, #fanart-central, etc. etc. etc. Unless you were banned (either permanently or someone forgot to remove it). I don't know what the java screen does when someone's banned. But if you were bothering Lasher, which I highly suggest you don't get your kicks annoying ops, she probably banned you and never removed it.

~ Denis is really the only one who can do anything at this point, unless you can offer any of the help specified on the default page or suggest other solutions. Until then, we wait. Sad

~ The site isn't destroyed, so all the art and the site itself are still fine. It's the fact it uses too much bandwidth to be up, so as soon as the problem is fixed, all artwork should still be there.

~ To upload an avatar, check the FAQ I put in the help forum. It's near the bottom in Forum Help.

~ As for the approval panel, perhaps I should explain why I thought that would be helpful (along with a smaller upload limit).

The problem is, as fev said, too many views on the pictures. So let's say 10 people upload five pictures in one day, each 100k. So that's 5000k already. Now let's say 10 people look at each one. That's 50megs of bandwidth. In comparison, let's say the limit was changed to 1 piece a day (with approval panel to help ensure none are breaking rules). Assuming they met the standards (no lined paper and such, come on, no one can disagree with that rule. honestly), that's 10 new submissions. 1000k. Now if 10 people looked at those images, that's only 10megs of bandwidth instead of 50. See?

That's how I was thinking when I said those were good ideas, not webspace (and yes, Denis, I may not be the brightest when it comes to online stuff, but I did know the difference Rolling eyes)

And just to state it again, though I believe it is in the rules...

Hotlinking is [b]not[/b] allowed on FAC, not on another site nor on the forums. That's what http://www.ripway.com and http://www.photobucket.com are for. Smile as well as the ability to attach images to posts.

Phew, did I cover it all? Razz

cstdenis
Evil Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]I really wish I could just *get* my pictures[/quote]
Whatever happens, I'll make peoples pictures available to them for putting elseware.

[quote]Does the number of artists also affect the site?[/quote]
Not really, Tho I do want to removed the large number of duplicate acounts (was working on that just before the current problems)

[quote]the site goes back on and if it does will all of our art be errased?[/quote]
No content has been lost by this. Some stuff may be selectively removed to help with the problem, but nothing lost.

[quote]They don't know when the site will be up, they're working as hard as they can to get it up faster! o.o just be patient, it's only been a few days.[/quote]
Thanks, thats right. I post information as I get it. You will find out when I do, or when I decide.

[quote]And the problem isn't how many members, it's how many people view the site in total. So even if people don't have an account, they're still visiting the site and bringing its bandwith down.[/quote]
Correct

regarding the approval idea, I am not saying it won't help, i'm just not sure how much it will help. Either way, its a good idea for the other reasons of people not following the rules.

For those who have been asking bandwidth refers to the amount of data transfered over the internet.

I've been look around at hosting packages and it looks like with the revenue generated by the popups i'll be able to do somthing.

For now, removing offsite leeching is a good start.

...I really should have checked this earlier, that was alot of reading.
layzcarter
I used to work here

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink I just deleted 10 of my pictures Smile I know... it has nothing to do with the issue... but i was using one of them in my signiture on this forum. Sorry.. Smile
heartless91
Newb

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will erase most of my work but can someone please tell me how to erase a picture? I dont know anything Razz
heartless91
Newb

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how and do you post a freakin picture ...

<-- ... right there

like i said i dont know anything Razz
Simple
Very bored

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]how and do you post a freakin picture ...~heartless91[/quote]

Go to my controls(somewhere atop of the page), and on the left side theres 'edit advatar settings', everything should be self explanatory after...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
fallenangel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And to delete a picture, go to your gallery and click "edit" next to the picture you want to delete.

heartless91
Newb

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for actually answering me Very Happy
i really apreciate it
cheetah
Newb

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why dont the pics show up when u want to look at them
VampireWarith

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know I had two pictures and......there not even there now.
fallenangel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read the front page.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: