Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Stupid Humor Fanfiction

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> General Art Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hyrulian_kandi
Newb

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<_< Okay, i just want to get this out. I noticed on Fanart central AND fanfiction.net that when people who try to write humor fanfics always end up making them sound plain out STUPID and POINTLESS. I could unterstand something that made decent sense, but all the humor fics I've read are so dumb! Why do people do that?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DG-sama

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's mostly 'cause so many people write in Script format. I personally think Script format lacks class, and looks to rushed. I myself am guilty of writing very random and somewhat pointless fics, but I always write it in text format (look so much more organized then script) and I try to use proper grammer punctuation and spelling (for which I am eternally grateful to the almighty spell check for).

God damn you signature WORK!
fallenangel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People who write scripts make my eyes bleed. It's extremely difficult to write a good script, and even then a lot of people don't like to read them. I agree that it often looks (and very often is) rushed and like the author is covering for their lack of writing skills.
DG-sama

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first started writing I used to do script format all the time, now I look back at what I've done and I just shudder.

God damn you signature WORK!
minamongoose
Newb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've wriiten some in script form, but i tend to put very few talking in them. I put more of the things they thing and such. I don't like writing out whole storys, though I'm working on one in story format. I'm not putting it up 'till I'm done.
minamongoose
Newb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

think I mean. My lack of grammar skils on the board is killing me. When fanfic's are up, look at mine, 'cause i worked pretty dang hard, even for script format. tell me what you think. If i am good at writing scrit format or not. Some storys in script format are all talk. that makes me sick. You just read and die of boredom.
fallenangel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that's what I meant about some people not knowing how to write good scripts. They write all dialogue and it's like reading a telephone conversation and having no idea what's going on.

(there's an edit button at the top of your posts if you want to add something onto one in the future Smile)
TenthDivine
Canhas uzertitle nao?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a cast reunion fic for one of my stories. I forgot what script form is supposed to be like, even though I...

Is it like this?
'Possible' lines from said fic:

Cloud: *pounces her and starts tearing her to ribbons* Why won't you die?!
CA: I'm gonna kiss your @$$! I mean, kick-- Damn!

The End

If that's script form then...I might stop doing that. WTF?
fallenangel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's basically script format. "formal" script format is like this...

scene 1, act II
Yadda yadda yadda set up the scene here, describing the scenery and what the characters are doing blah blah blah

BOB: blah blah blah
MEGAN: blah blah blah blah

and so on and so on and so on. Movie scripts a bit different.

It's fine if done well, but it's also very very difficult and something a good portion of people don't like reading (another reason some people hate reading shakespeare).
ChrisFox
Has No Life

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to write a script. And you all will enjoy it. *nods*
fallenangel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prove it. Wink
Mac
Newb

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Script format can be the problem, but sometimes it's in text format, it's still bad. I think this most often results from inattention to basic story parts. When somebody sets out to write a "funny" story, they've usually got a bunch of jokes bouncing around in their head that they're dying to put on paper. As a result, you have a long list of jokes that were forced into the story, usually in a somewhat awkward and corny fashion, and that's it. If a story is going to be truly funny, it needs to focus on an actual plot with actual characters and use the humor in the process, rather than being crammed with pointless humor from beginning to end. I generally don't think, "I'm going to write a funny story." Rather, I'll be in the course of writing the story, and go, "Hey, it'd be funny if [insert humorous material]!" and I type that into the story. The joke being made, I continue forward with the storyline. I think that's how humor is most effectively displayed in writing.
fallenangel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That, too. Also, younger writers (no offense to them, because the problem can be just as much in older writers, but I see it more often in young ones) haven't developed good story telling skills as far as writing it down. They can see what's going on in their head and it seems funny, but they have no idea how to put it down on paper so that the reader "sees" the same thing. Thus the script format often develops.
ChrisFox
Has No Life

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, but I will. In due time my friend. It will be grand. I've just got to find the time to do it.
TenthDivine
Canhas uzertitle nao?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I should bring mine over here and see what whoever reads it thinks. I don't think it was pointless, I made it to point out that I was possibly making a sequel, which I did. So...right. Ignore me, maybe? ^_^
Kurama_Torturer
Newb

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saaa... the age-old script fics. it's true, i go on FF.net just to be bumbareded with scripts and Mary Sues (I am Gabbi: Queen of Kurama Torture, if you know me I only did 2 script fics). Most people do those kind of fic because they are easier to do. You can have the characters just talk all they want and do motion without having to do something that needs description.

EXAMPLE:

Script- Kurama: *attacks with rosewhip*

NovelLike- Kurama thrusted his whip at the beast.

Most people don't take fanfiction seriously, sadly U_U They figure "Oh! If I just write this slop up someone will just look and like!" Which does explain why the fanfiction world is over-run by character/OC and script fics.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> General Art Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: