Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Books: What Are You Reading?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Other interests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisFox
Has No Life

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:41 pm    Post subject: Books: What Are You Reading? Reply with quote

I'm currently reading "Marabou Stork Nightmares" by Irvine Welsh. MAJOR head trip, not as much so as "The Acid House" collection he wrote, but still very strange. But it's extremely fun as well, does fun things with the text to illustrate things. It's about a guy in a coma who is trying to find and kill the Marabou Stork, because it's what will set his life right again or something or other, and he keeps getting interrupted by the nurses around him and old memories of his family and whatnot. Great read, confusing at first, but a whole helluva lot easier to read than "Trainspotting" or "The Acid House" because he doesn't use the whole dialect respelling-for-accents thing as much. Great author if you're into unusual kinds of things. And Scottish too. Cool

*Edit: Wow, look at the incoherentish babbling. I should get some sleep. . .
PhunkYMunkY
Site Helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently reading; "What Are You Reading Right Now?" thread by a FAC member named Kayla.. Yeah I like the plot.. it leads very openly to other ideas a thread like this could implement. The thread has one character albiet a very good one, with much emotion portrayed in her post.. She is humourous, restless, prefers the intelligent read (rather than a popular book such as Harry Pooter) She's apprently very analytical about what she reads and possibly her surroundings therefore maybe getting her into trouble and mischief (something for later threads? I do hope so *teehee*)...

Well all in all I say this thread is a good read and one would definately pursue in responding to the cleverly entwined questions within the story.. I think the author would enjoy comments on her piece and may even write back which is somewhat a rareity of some authors..

I thoroughly enjoyed this thread and look forward to reading more of her work in the future ^_^
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DG-sama

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now I'm reading "Song Master" by Orsen Scott Card... for about the eigth time ^^ God I love that book. ^^

God damn you signature WORK!
Painless_Suicide
Newb

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently, I'm reading [i]Xanth [/i]series, by [b]Piers Anthony[/b]. But mostly, I enjoy reading Stephen King... However, that's kind of a problem now, since I've read every book he's published. Sad Gotta find a new author. Heh.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Rebus
Very bored

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Waste Lands, the third in Mr King's Dark Tower series. It's not as good as I'd been led to believe, but it has enough inspired moments to keep me going Smile

I'm also reading Smoke and Mirrors, a collection of stories by Neil Gaiman. I like to have a book of short stories on the go, for those times when I can't afford to get stuck into a book. His skill is incredible, if his taste is somewhat dubious at times.
KeheiZero
Elder In Training

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Golden Apples of the Sun" by Ray Bradbury
cherry-chi-hiwatari
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"close to shore" by michael capuzzo .
DG-sama

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Painless_Suicide (Melissa)"] Currently, I'm reading [i]Xanth [/i]series, by [b]Piers Anthony[/b]. But mostly, I enjoy reading Stephen King... However, that's kind of a problem now, since I've read every book he's published. Sad Gotta find a new author. Heh. [/quote]
Xanth is awsome ^^!

Oh and on an update for me... currently I'm reading "Redd Prophet by Orsen Scott Card (he's one of my most favorite authors)

God damn you signature WORK!
PhunkYMunkY
Site Helper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="KeheiZero (Craig)"] "Golden Apples of the Sun" by Ray Bradbury [/quote]
How do you like [i]them[/i] apples?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Soul_Ryda

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xanth is way cool. ^_^

I'm reading Shadow Kings. It's...... interesting.

Painless suicide, you must like horror huh? my mum has heaps of them.
ChrisFox
Has No Life

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="PhunkYMunkY (Gray Roberts)"] She is humourous, restless, prefers the intelligent read (rather than a popular book such as Harry Pooter)

[/quote]
Hahahaha! Actually, I do read, and very much enjoy, "Harry Pooter" Razz

July Sixteenth! W00t! Totally going to Barnes and Noble at midnight when they release Half Blood Prince.
PhunkYMunkY
Site Helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it rocks Very Happy :lol:

...I dunno wether or not to get the book. My sister is anyway but I would have to wait until she is finished to read it.. Once we're both done, we have 2 books :unsure:

What to do.. what to do..
fallenangel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait until they make the movie? Razz

Just finished "The Stranger" by Albert Camus ("camoo"). Blech. Turned in the paper on Thursday. Also read "The Wall" by Jean-Paul Sartre. Turning in the paper tomorrow (provided I write it at some point tonight). Hated "The Stranger", but "The Wall" was ok. Kinda trippy at the end, but I already knew where it was going.

Just read "Memoirs of a Geisha" to start a project tomorrow. Meh, it was alright. Slow.
PhunkYMunkY
Site Helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="fallenangel (fallen)"] Wait until they make the movie? Razz
[/quote]
Nooooooooooo I must know what happens!! I honestly can't wait for the next wacky adventure!

...And btw the films f**king suck ass compared to the books.

Don't ever read the book and watch the film of number 3. Seriously. Just don't do it. It's far too painful.
fallenangel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was number 3?

Only one I've seen is Prisoner of Azka-whatever because I was outvoted. <_< Got there and everyone wanted to see it. At least Alan Rickman was in it, but even that couldn't save it.
ChrisFox
Has No Life

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prisoner of Azkaban was the third one. Smile

Only real good things about that movie were Alan Rickman, Gary Oldman, and David Thewlis. They totally screwed around with things direction wise compared to the book. (They're not supposed to wear street clothes, damnit!) Meh, yeah the movies suck. I hope they don't screw up the next one, though. Goblet of Fire is my favorite thus far in the series.
PhunkYMunkY
Site Helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently Goblet of Fire is going to be AGES like they need an intermission n everything 'cause it's that long.. That's just a rumour though lol :huh:
ChrisFox
Has No Life

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, ah well. It looks ok, though. From what I've read/seen/etc. Better than the last three anyway. They'll definitely have to cut a good bit of it, though because of the size and everything. Which is another reason why books are better than movies from books. Smile
PhunkYMunkY
Site Helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly B)

Though the LOTR films were actually longer than reading the book, it's all good..
KFelidae
Still very bored

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now I'm reading "The Great Gatsby" (F. Scott Fitzgerald). Yeah, it's a school mandate, but I was always a little curious about it, so it's not too much torture.

What I WANT to be reading is "War In Heaven". That is, if I can ever get my hands on it. XD

-KF
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Other interests All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 1 of 20

Jump to: