Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Hair Colors?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Anime & Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KotokoPlum
How can I get a custom title thing?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been noticing that for blonde hair (in manga) the manga artists draw lines to indicate that it's blonde. Of course, I found that pretty strange... Did anyone else?

Also, some characters have brown/dark hair but they don't have anything that indicates it. No tone, no lines, nothing. One example would be Tohru from Fruits Basket.

I'm attaching what I found weird with the hair technique. Does anybody know why this is or if there is any good reason for it? :huh: (Yes, it's Momiji)
Fayore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I find that it pretty much depends on the mangaka's style. Some do it, some don't.

To be quite honest, I've never noticed such a thing until you've mentioned this, and even so, I can't actually think of this occuring very often.

Can you provide some pictures or something like that of blondes from different anime genres? Because I know a lot of blondes who aren't like that (eg. Sanzo [Saiyuuki], Gourry [Slayers], etc.).
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KotokoPlum

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Momiji pic took long enough to find..@.@ I'll just list some, okay?

Uo-chan from Fruits Basket
(the foreign girl) from Just A Girl (Argh! Can't remember...)

Wah! I could only think of two?! There has to be some others...

[quote]Because I know a lot of blondes who aren't like that (eg. Sanzo [Saiyuuki], Gourry [Slayers], etc.). [/quote]
True. I can think of a lot, too. like Chi (Chobits). I'm just saying that I found the technique a bit strange, that's all... Razz
Rindi_chan
Forum contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting point that my friend brought up once is that characters with blue hair sometimes look blond in manga... I think her specific example was Amy from Sailor Moon or something... Don't quote me on that one. And it's true - I read D.N.Angel way back before the anime was made, and I totally freaked out when I started seeing color pictures of Hiwatari-kun with blue hair. I had always pictured him as a blond!

So, I guess it really depends on the manga-ka. In the end, it's helpful to have a few color pictures to reference. Smile
shinto_grrl
Still very bored

Location: my ass is planted in Texas, along with my man-eating plant "FEED ME SEYMOUR!!!"

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people just do that to make it more interesting. I mean, why would you want all characters to have boring, un-detailed hair? When I saw the second volume of the Furuba manga and saw that Yuki has black hair, I flipped-out, having thought he had some prettay white locks... But I got used to it after watching the anime. And Shuichi from Gravitation has pink hair, but it's colored black in the manga. :wacko: Ze piccie is an example of that hair shtuff you were talking about. 'Tis K from Gravitation. *glomps piccie.
SilentSoul92
Elder In Training

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suichi, gar. I never, ever, imagined that he would have pink hair...WTF?
Fayore

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Gravi anime, Shuuichi has pink hair right from the beginning, but in the manga, he doesn't dye his hair until later in the storyline. He starts out as any other japanese kid: with black hair. Razz
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
flaming_weasel
Very bored

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And he should have stayed that way. *pouts*

Anyway, I believe that the reason some characters are "blonde" in manga and really have blonde hair is because otherwise you'd have a bunch of people with the same-colored hair and it would get boring. Using tones and pen lines to color hair makes it easier to tell charcters apart, as well as making them more interesting (blondes are pretty rare in Japan).
SilentSoul92
Elder In Training

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so are pinkheads...<_< Well, another interesting thing I found is for red heads, they'll use a light black, almost greyish, not quite. And add dark lines in them. That's only for a few mangas and some of them are online ones.
shinto_grrl
Still very bored

Location: my ass is planted in Texas, along with my man-eating plant "FEED ME SEYMOUR!!!"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NAW. <_<
SilentSoul92
Elder In Training

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, any other colors we can think of?
Barney--TheAnti-Christ

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

usually i just wait for someone else to mention the haircolor of that character if I don't know it first^^ yeah...other than that, it's kinda fun to make up a hair color for them if you don't know what it actually is. And there's always an off chance you'll be right^^ lol
KotokoPlum

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen green and purple. But perhaps those are acceptable in manga/anime. Anyone know?

Edit: I even have an avatar with purple hair!
Barney--TheAnti-Christ

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's also blue hair in manga..I think.
shinto_grrl
Still very bored

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. I hate it when they do that. Grr!
rikuschick
Very bored

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in full metal panic, half the characters have hair that's all different colors of the rainbow. Very Happy plus, there are a lot, & I mean I [i]a lot[/i] of characters in several animes with silver hair. sure, people in real life have silver hair, but those people are in their mid 50s.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
a-drawer-4ever
Very bored

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

although some manga-ka may have protrayed the said characters with black/brown hair and they just changed it in the anime *cough* Kurama *cough* and other stories the manga-ka just assumes black = black ink brown = no tones or ink at all *cough* Shizuru Seino *cough* and others really don't have any set color of characters and just use whats conveniant, such as SM or FY, though they may have had a set color but still changed the color of hair and eyes as necessary
KotokoPlum

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and I'm pretty sure that in Furuba, Kyoko's hair had those lines in her hair as Momitchi and Uo-chan do in the manga but in the anime my friends said her hair was brown... :wacko:
shinto_grrl
Still very bored

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kyoko...Kyoko...*trying to remember who they are. Is that Tohru's mother? Well, if it is, what you heard is true. Lines in the hair can also mean brown hair. Some people just don't like the fact that it would all just be un-detailed, shaded-in hair, so they decide to add lines for emphasis of shine or sometimes color. I may have liked Yuki with white hair better, but I've grown to like his black hair, too. lol.
KotokoPlum

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, tis her mother. But Tohru's hair is brown as well and it does not have lines in it. Here's a list for comparison then:

Momiji Sohma- Blond (with lines)
Arisa Uotani- Blond (with lines)
Mitsan Sohma- Blond (with lines)

Tohru Honda- Brown (no lines)

Kyoko Honda- Brown (with lines... ?!?!)

See what I mean?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Anime & Manga All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: