Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Hair Colors?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Anime & Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keautye
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also the thing is that they always have hair with colors that could be in anyone's hair unless it's dyed. Did you already see a baby born with purple or green hair? I did but only in animes... Razz
[color=green]A life with[/color] [color=red]love[/color] [color=green]will have some[/color] [color=red]thorns[/color] [color=green]but a life without[/color] [color=red]love[/color] [color=green]will have no[/color] [color=red]rose[/color]
KotokoPlum
How can I get a custom title thing?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I have a question about something... I've always thought of Japanese people having black hair, correct? Well then why are so many characters in anime and manga brown haired?! Tohru Honda from Furuba, Naru Narusegawa from Love Hina, and Mizuki from Hana-Kimi all have brown hair...

I'm just wondering if this would be just because it's anime/manga or if it's something different that I don't know about.
Rindi_chan
Forum contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brown is easier to shade than black? Or, because so many Japanese dye their hair (often a reddish-brown color)? I mean, if you think the hair color is unrealistic, then take a look at various anime hairstyles. XD

Well. In the end, I have no idea. ^^;
keautye
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Rindi_chan (Rindi)"] Brown is easier to shade than black? Or, because so many Japanese dye their hair (often a reddish-brown color)? I mean, if you think the hair color is unrealistic, then take a look at various anime hairstyles. XD

Well. In the end, I have no idea. ^^; [/quote]
So true... I never really saw a guy with bangs going up in the air then falling back down and have them to their waist....
[color=green]A life with[/color] [color=red]love[/color] [color=green]will have some[/color] [color=red]thorns[/color] [color=green]but a life without[/color] [color=red]love[/color] [color=green]will have no[/color] [color=red]rose[/color]
Papercut_Dragon
Would like fries with that

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At first, they did draw everyone with black hair. As manga became more popular, the artists decided to simply outline the hair, since the assumption was that that character, being Japanese, would have black hair. It was understood. But when anime came along, the color artists decided to make the characters have colored hair. I suppose they did it just for the heck of it. Smile

[quote] I never really saw a guy with bangs going up in the air then falling back down and have them to their waist.... [/quote]

Never seen a girl like that, either. ^_^
SoaringKitty
Very bored

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People probably do that because blonde hair is and shiny! ^_^
Koikaji_Saru_the_Wierd_O
Very bored

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a not-so-realistic storyline, your might as well emphasise this fact by adding the crazy hairstles and colours.
And it makes it interesting.
I mean realy, who wants to see just black hair?
The way the character is portrayed makes the character more popular therefore making the anime/manga more popular. Why do you think Inuyasha is so popular? :ph34r: The characters are interesting and have an interesting image.
And sometimes he characters look better without black hair.
And sometimes the artist feels thats how to be creative, or they just want to have fun.
celestina67
Would like fries with that

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah yes.I think the hair colours aren't weird at all,I mean its anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
River_Phoenix
Very bored

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

being creative is nice and all but green hair is just not my cup of tea :huh:
Brianhjh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot stand any colors between yellowish-green to yellowish-red, so more than half the spectrum

They don't just look normal to me.
Sailor_InuyashaMon
Very bored

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they wanted to try something different. Or maybe it all just depends on the artist, really.

Colourful hair is awesome though! I loved Daisuke's hair though, I wish I had his hair!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kyonkichi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it differs from manga to manga

fma: blonde or light colours is left blank, dark colours are black (as an example)

but for most things (like fruits basket)

blank (untoned): brown or variations of brown. also other light colours other than blonde or red
toned grey: red or dark/med tones. usually red
reverse shinies: blonde (notice that blonde is just the oposite of black. the shinies are black)
black with shinies: black

in chobits, chi has ivory coloured hair (this is a difference between the anime and manga) so this is coloured like white.
tohru has brown hair, it's uncoloured, but her mom dyes her hair (red) thus it has lines. unusual colours are also lined like blonde sometimes. kyo has orange/red hair, so it's toned. and yuki has grey hair, so it's blank etc...

this was kind of a long post o_O;
Kaede-chan
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to have wandered into the right thread. Ahem...

The reason some hair colors are not shaded in is because it would get very boring or confusing, such as if every character with darkish hair (red to black) had inked-in black hair. Kyo has specially shaded-in hair (have you noticed? No one else has it!) because Takaya-sensei probably wanted him to stand out. Kyoko or Kisa have much lighter shades of orange than him, so a different coloring technique is used. As for Yuki and Tohru left blank, well... A manga is not meant to be toned like a coloring book. Not everything must be colored, ya know? For one thing, it'd be an awful waste of toning paper (though Takaya uses a computer), and it would clutter up the page.

As for greenhairs in anime, like Saki Hanajima (I feel bad using only Furuba references, but oh well...), well, they work a little like the earlier principle- not everyone with plain black hair. (Which is why Tohru's brown, I betcha) Dark green adds flair to a character, makes them stand out, and really is only a step away from black, after all. Also, if a character has uncolored hair in the manga, the color may switch dramatically in the anime just because the studio can use their imaginations. (Like Yuki's grey-to-purple.)
Jeezum, I don't think I've typed so much in ages! I hope I didn't sound like a know-it-all, I really just picked this all up in scraps from lots of sources. -.- Anyway, hope this helps anyone!
Squidman
Very Oldbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard it said that crazy anime hairstyles were originally used so that characters in school uniforms could be differentiated from one another easier, but who knows?
::[url=http://www.fanart-central.net/user.php?aid=Squidman]FAC[/url]::[url=http://coelasquid.deviantart.com/gallery/]DA[/url]::[url=http://coelasquid.blogspot.com]Blog[/url]::[url=http://pirate-squid.livejournal.com/]LJ[/url]::[/size][/color]
Kaede-chan
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah! That makes sense too, good call!
KeheiZero
Elder In Training

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the most likely explanation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LunaticCrow
Elder In Training

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In many cases, the only thing that differentiates the characters is their hair. Such Brilliantly desinged and written ones at that, nay?
BlackPaint
Very bored

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you read a manga like Loveless, the hair tones are really weird.

Ritsuka's hair is colored in completely black because he has black hair(although I've seen pics of him with brown, purple, and even pink hair)
Yayoi has black hair with green at the tips, the green is left blank
Yuiko has pink hair, blank.
Hitomi has light brown hair, I think I've seen sones a few times but Im not sure, i usually see her with blank hair
Soubi is blonde, blank
Youji has light green hair, blank
Natsuo on the other hand has a reddish/burgandy colored hair, his is toned with grey.

But, in the Kingdom hearts manga, pretty much everyone's hair is tones. Sora has pretty much the same hair color as Tohru(furuba) and Sora's is tones whereas Tohru's is not.

And think, mangas are only black and white, the only way you could tell the hair colors are from either watching the anime or if the covers have pics of the characters.
You can't exactly make every single color with only black and white.

[img]http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c223/Mental_Issues/Akabanner.jpg[/img]
eeveelova4

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is this an actual ANIME discussion? its more like a HAIR discussion
Dark_Angel_Of_Light
Rejecting Your Masterpieces

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is. :<

I think the reason they don't give screen tones for brown-haired characters, because if they did, it might be mistaken that they have red hair(whether it's heavy screen toning or light, it'll be counted as red.) That's also why they have colored pictures too, to determine true hair color.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Anime & Manga All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: