Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Manga Questions...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Anime & Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anti_sk8r
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I mean, the thing with FLCL was that, both the anime and the manga sucked Neutral [/opinion]

NOT CHANGING THIS SIGNATURE UNTIL THE RELEASE OF NINTENDO WII!...wait. Its here? OMG! SWIIT!
Kiroko

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Brianhjh (Moon Ki)"] The purpose for those short mangas were really promotion for its anime series, so they won't continue it after anime ends.

One major exception is Neon Genesis Evangelion. [/quote]
ohhhhh.. i didn't know that really. nice info, i'll keep it in mind for when my freinds at school ask why is a manga series thats based off an anime so short.
DragonicFlames
Very Oldbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neon Gensis Evangelion's anime has a lot of T&A.

Yeah if you completely say no occult then your pretty much out of the manga section completely. Because most of mangas have something to do with "occult" things like psychic ablities magic, etc what have you.

So you might as well just not even read anything and return to your small inside box of nothingness. : D

I know that sounds mean, but the truth hurts my dear.
PFC
Still very bored

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... I'm just going to check a bunch of them until I find one that I might like.

Two guick questions... Why do you hear so many people (I'm going to guess it's mostly girls) say how much they love Inu-yasha... I just don't quite understand that.

And why is there no section in the Anime/Manga section with Cross? I was surprised, consideringt there's just about everything else...
DarkFoxDemon
Newb

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm....

FLCL
DearS
Juvinille Orion

uhh....

I dunno...those are the ones i am addicted to..
Andy_and_Nicky
Very bored

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evangelion by Mr. Sadamoto, you have to check it out!!
Or Bleach by Tite Kubo, he's in his mid-twenties, i think, he's an inspiration.
Or X/1999 and XXXholic by the females of clamp, my favorite being Mokona Apapa. (those are sort of mainstream titles easily found)
Rindi_chan
Forum contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="PFC (Nate)"] Well... I'm just going to check a bunch of them until I find one that I might like.

Two guick questions... Why do you hear so many people (I'm going to guess it's mostly girls) say how much they love Inu-yasha... I just don't quite understand that.

And why is there no section in the Anime/Manga section with Cross? I was surprised, consideringt there's just about everything else... [/quote]
Lots of people like Inuyasha because they've only been exposed to anime shown on mainstream television, so their anime-viewing experience has been sort of limited. I suppose it's an improvement when compared to DBZ or Sailor Moon, but then, I wouldn't really know. Preteen girls also seem to find the various male characters to be 'hot' - of course, being a demon or half-demon instantly adds +5 sexiness to any character. . . . .

You'd be surprised at how many series have no topic in Anime/Manga. There are just so many series out there!

That being said, when it comes to manga, I'm personally a fan of Yotsubato!, Fullmetal Alchemist, Peacemaker Kurogane, Shaman King, Bleach, Chrno Crusade, Digi Charat and Full Metal Panic. Unfortunately, I follow a bunch of those for the art, not the story. XD I get hooked on manga with cool artwork.
Meredianna
Has No Life

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If u like shoujo mangas...

Datte suki nandamon
Random Walk
Full moon wo sagashite
Mintna bokura

Wierd mangas...

Children can't choose their parents o_o

Shounen mangas

Naruto * the only shonen manga I like*

Mangas based on video games

Tales of destiny
Tales of eternia
Dragon quest
Dragon Quest VII - Warriors of Eden
Star Ocean: Blue Sphere
Star Ocean: The Second Story
Star Ocean: Till the End of Time
Suikoden 3: I Love You The Most In The World yes
Suikoden III

...thats all I can think of right now. .__.
DG-sama

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is almost begining to turn into a "favorite" thread. Unless you're honestly going to give good recomendations instead of just lists I'm going to just close this. I don't know about you but I find it hard to judge a manga on just a title alone

God damn you signature WORK!
JHanna
Very bored

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest the manga "Blame!" but it is really difficult to describe. Mainly about a guy named Killy looking for people with certain genes in a world that seems built inside a huge building. It kinda reminds me of Matrix. Its dark, mysterious and rather serious but really good and the action scenes are brilliant!

Forest
Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd personally recommend Get Backers. In my opinion, it's really well written and the art is excellent.

Short summary: Two guys, Ban and Ginji run a recovery service in which they "get back" anything that has been lost or stolen. Simple enough core plot, but there are many side plots too. Equal balance of action and humour. ^_^ Course, there's a twist. Ginji has the ability to generate huuuge levels of electricity through his body (much like an electric eel), which earned him the title "The Lightning Emperor" in his old gang the "Volts". Ban has a 200kg grip known as the "Snakebite" and can also 'hypnotise' people with an ability known as the "Jagon". Basically means as soon as an enemy's eyes lock with his, he can make them believe that what they're seeing is real. Pretty cool really lol Cool

So yah. I'd recommend that.

Love
~Forest
grimfairy
Still very bored

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it have to be G-rated? Because I know one of my favorites is Bondage Fairies but that's not G-rated whatsoever. Laughing

I'd only recommend that one if you were looking for hentai, which it seems you are not. I really like the art in it though, even though it's NC-17.

The only other manga I've even partially read is Battle Angel Alita, which seemed like it could've been interesting had I gotten into it more.
QueenOfTheCute
Newb

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="PFC (Nate)"]What is the best Manga comics books to read? I've been looking through several and I wanted to know what would be one of the best comics to check out... Simply from your experience...[/quote]
Well! If experience is all that you ask for, I might be able to lend a hand!

First, you should understand that Japanese manga are not the same as American comic books. One of the difficulties in approaching manga is that Japanese sensibilities in layout are vastly different from those in the Western world. This certainly does not make them inferior, just that they can be difficult to decipher and read even after the translation.

For example, I loved the [i]Trigun[/i] anime and just [b]had[/b] to pick up the manga when it came out. Imagine my dissappointment when I found the panels were laid out so strangely and without flow that I could not follow the story! As much as I love Yashiro Nightow's sense of humor, I just cannot enjoy the manga he creates because it seems so jumbled to me.

Of all that I've read, my absolute favorite manga is [i]Battle Angle Alita[/i]. It is drawn beautifully and executed clearly. Author and artist Yukito Kishiro knows his stuff when it comes to drawing futuristic cyborg chicks. Haha, it is a manga that has a lot of explosions and violence, but underneath the action is a story of what it means to be human and the responsibilities that come with it. There is a lot of philosophy and theoretical science that Kishiro lets the reader in on. It is not a fluffy read, but it certainly is rewarding.

You can find out more information and see artwork from the series here. It is called "Gunnm" in Japanese, which you much have to use to nagivate around the site.

Another must for anyone looking at manga is the famous [i]Lone Wolf and Cub[/i] series. Kazuo Koike and Goseki Kojima weave together an intricate story of honor and duty without forgetting the momentum of battle and the beauty of the medium. More than any other manga, this one is probably the most well-drawn and clearly laid-out. You will not have any problems understanding the story or knowing what it going on, like so many others. There are no culture barriers in the layout here like I spoke of before. You may, however, find yourself so caught up in the lovely artwork that you forget to read the story!

Depending on your preferences, you might want to check out a volume or two of something done by Rumiko Takahashi. She is the most successful female comic artist in the world for a reason, after all. (And yes, I do mean that in both the monetary and popularity sense!) Her layouts are clean and inviting while her characters tend to be lovely and interesting. If you don't want to commit to any of her series, which, for the most part, are overly long and drawn out, try reading a volume of [i]Rumic Theater[/i]. These stories usually only last for one or two issues but they will give you a sense of her style and abilities.

If you liked the anime [i]Tenchi Muyo![/i] or [i]Oh My Goddess![/i] then I'd advise to you check out the manga as well. The [i]Oh My Goddess![/i] manga came first, and Kosuke Fujishima is a master at both storytelling and layout. He also excells and drawing pretty girls and hot motorcycles.

The [i]Tenchi Muyo![/i] manga came after the success of the series, but it manages to capture the wacky adventure of the original. Hitoshi Okuda has a playful style that suits the characters and makes great poster art. It is rare that anything feels out of place and I would say that the manga development only improves the characters.

Finally, to wrap up this moster post, I'll just mention that if you want a sappy romance, Yu Watase is your woman. All of her seies, from [i]Fushigi Yugi[/i] to [i]Ayashi no Ceres[/i] are lovely (if extremely convoluted and angstly) love stories. Her artwork is sparkly and adorable, and her sense of humor is delightful. If you don't love dramatic stories about fated lovers, though, I would steer clear of her work in general.

I have not read either [i]Hellsing[/i] or [i]Berserk[/i] but I have heard great things about both of them.

Well, there's my two cents! (Haha, understatement is funny!)
Smexykage-sama

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just like everything coming from Clamp!
Especially Wish and X/1999 (two total opposite stories, one sweet and candy, one dark, violent)

For Shonen-stuff, I like Naruto and Bleach.

Furthermore titles like Sorcerer Hunters, FLCL and Petshop of Horrors pop up. Really enjoyable!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
grimfairy
Still very bored

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa, I love the anime Petshop of Horrors. I've never read the manga but I think I want to pick it up now. It's such a strange series.
Smexykage-sama

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion it's much nicer than the anime, you should pick it up when you see it! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
nekojess
Very bored

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... well some good manga I've read are..
Saiyuki,
FMA,
Chobits,
and Naruto. ^_^ But I can't really say that I've read the OFFICIAL translated version of Naruto... XD I just can't help myself... there are too many sites with the manga pages scanned and translated... XDD
stootle
Newb

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I highly reccomend FMA. It's got a good storyline (I'm a manga purist. I don't necessarily reccomend the anime.).

Another good one is Bleach. Although I don't know what the hell they're doing with the lastest bit, it's pretty good, over-all.

D. Gray Man is pretty cool, although I've only read a little bit.

Uh, yea. Other than that, I can't think of anything else at the moment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Anime & Manga All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: