Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
The Best Of The Worst

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Other interests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fallenangel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

List the best book(s) you've ever read and the worst.

Best: Either [u]One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest[/u] or [u]The Dirt: Motley Crue- Confessions of the world's most notorious rock band[/u]. Odd choice, I know. One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest is my favorite "classic", and The Dirt is just an awesome book. It's 4 distinct styles and stories that combine into one, well, legend. You'll laugh during Tommy's chapters, cry during some of Vince's (especially when he talks about losing his daughter to cancer), feel like a punk rebel kid reading Nikki's, and sound like you're taking advice from a wise elder during Mick's. Great book.

Worst: This is hard to pick because I've read a lot of bad books in English classes. I never even finished The Scarlet Letter. I used one of those summary sites for the last 4 chapters. Still got an A on the test, though. I hated 1984, too. I know some people worship it, but I never got into the story. Didn't finish that one, either. (personally, I'd take Van Halen's 1984 over that any day)
Father Alexander
Newb

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

God, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought [u]1984[/u] and [u]The Scarlet Letter[/u] sucked. I just couldn't get into them. I don't the the Lord Of the Rings books, nor do I like [u]Dracula[/u], it's just so overrated.

Best: All the Redwall books, [u]The Green Mile[/u], and most Dean Knootz books, like [u]Whispers[/u].
BAMFManiac
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best- Terry Brooks' Shannara Series (like LOTR, but better), His Dark Materials Trilogy by Philip Pullman, other fantasy stuff

Worst- All the books I had to read for History, like All Quiet on the Western Front, Farewell to Arms (I know he's a celebrated American author or whatever, but in my opinion, Ernest Hemmingway [b]cannot [/b] write), and all those other stupid war novels. I feel that, if war is so horrible, why would I want to read about it?
-Rebecca: had to read it for English. Pointless because I guessed the ending halfway thru the book, and you never find out the main character's name (which annoyed me so much i eventually made one up for her). Plus, the only good character was the dead girl

I agree about the Lord of the Rings thing- it's a good story, but the writing style is too tedious for me. It's sort of confusing, too. (no offense to big tolkien fans). And I've never read 1984, but I thought Animal Farm (also by George Orwell) was ok.
Sanoshi
Site Helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I"m not a big reader, but some books i liked were.. [u]The Lovely Bones[/u] i forgot who by, but its basically about a girl who died, and watches her family and friends go through life without her. Very cool. Gotta read it.

Another book i liked was, the [u]Shadow Childern[/u] Series. The first book is, [u]Amoung the Hidden/Imposters/Betrayed/Barons[/u] I wonder if she finished the series, but the readng level is kinda... easy. BUT! It's a good book.

That's all i can think of.. WTF?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
iamem0tionless
How can I get a custom title thing?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what you've told me, Fallen, I really want to read [u]One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest[/u], we may have to read it for English sometime in the future anyway.

Alex, have you read all of the Shannara series? I read the second one but I want to start over and just read them in order from the first one to the last one. I remember reading the second book to it, [u]Elfstones of Shannara[/u] in 7th grade. I really liked that... Speaking of the [u]Lord of the Rings [/u] series... I just started that. I tried to read it last year but I thought it was really boring. This year I'm really into the book and am enjoying it very much... We have to read [u]Animal Farm[/u] for our English class this year... I haven't started it yet.

Sanoshi, I read [u]The Lovely Bones[/u], too! It's got to be one of my favorite books... Oh, and it was by Alice Seabold.
I think I've heard of the [u]Shadow Children[/u] Series. Who wrote it? I think I have [u]Amoung the Hidden[/u], but I haven't read it yet.

Some of my favorite books were... [u]The Alanna Seires[/u] and [u]The Protector Of The Small Series[/u] by Tamora Pierce, [u]Where The Heart Is[/u] by Billie Letts (I think_, [u]Pay It Forward[/u] (I can't remember the author), [u]The Sweep Series[/u] by Cate Tiernan, and [u]The Crown Duel[/u] by Sherwood Smith.

I hate anything by Gary Paulsen (especially [u]Hatchet[/u]) and [u]Indian In The Cupboard[/u] (I had to read that in sixth grade, I still hate it). I'll probably think of some more sooner or later... I just usually won't read something I don't like. This is my first year of high school and my first year of having to read more than one or two books for a class. Well... I guess that's it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
BAMFManiac
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Kate that's so great you read the Shannara series (i don't know too many people who do).
i read them out of order, too- i started reading the Heritage of Shannara series (his 2nd quartet) in 4th or 5th grade. then when i was done with that, in 7th i started the 1st series. i just finished The Wishsong of Shannara over the summer (i don't have that much time to read anymore, so it takes a long time for me to finish books now).
I just started rereading the Heritage series a few weeks ago, so i can fully understand all the references to legends. (the Heritage series takes place i think a century after the 1st, so the characters talk about heroes like Wil and Shea alot, but i never understood those parts when i first read it.)

Also, i love Tamora Pierce! i haven't read her stuff in a while, but in 6th grade i was really into her books. I loved the Alanna series, Wild Magic series, and the Circle of Magic series. i've never read Protector of the Small, but i've heard of it.

i hate survival books (like Hatchet), too. they just don't interest me.
iamem0tionless
How can I get a custom title thing?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea... I think after I finish the Lord of the Rings series, then finish this new book by Tamora Pierce (Which I might just read after I finish the first book), I may start reading the Sword of Shannara. I just bought four new books today, one being a Lurlene McDaniel, so I don't know... I need to figure out an order in which to read all of them in.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Other interests All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: