Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Windows XP...deleted itself? ***need comp help***

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Computer Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CinnamonChan
Newb

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Windows XP...deleted itself? ***need comp help*** Reply with quote

I had a HP desktop with Windows XP. Anyways, a few months ago it started screwing up and had problems turning on. When I tried turning it on, it would just say something like "Going into power save mode" and it would count down (which it SO should not have been doing that as soon as I turn it on :o). At first, it happened very rarely..but it started getting so frequent that I'd have to restart my computer over and over just to get it to turn on properly. Then, one day I attempted to turn it on, and it went to a black screen, saying "Operating System Was Not Found". It's been doing that ever since and it's been about 2 months. I really want to know what's wrong with it. Do I need to buy a new Windows? I don't want Vista, because I already have it on the laptop I'm currently using and I don't care for it at all. I tried buying a new XP once but it wouldn't install. I guess it only worked if I was upgrading a previous Windows, but I can't because I don't have ANY Windows installed now. I don't have enough money to buy a brand new computer (for I am a mere 13 year old =P) so I would prefer just getting mine fixed.

Also, someone once told me it could be a hard drive problem. Is this a possible problem? Please and thank you. :)

♥Cinnamon

P.S. My computer isn't very old either. It's from either 2002 or 2003, and I have computers that still have Windows 98 on them, and they work fine...Well, they suck obviously but they function properly for computers their age. =P
SilverKitsune
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-install the system.

[b]xAmiDarkfieldx wrote:
"Your a bird, I'm a cat of the jungle. Birds can't get pregnant last I checked. They lay eggs."[/b]
NorseGodOdin
Oldbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea. Just reinstall windows. No other way to fix it.
[i]"So then I was having my ass handed to me by like g0at and like wayman... And I'm like 'whatever' and they're like... 'Get out'a here man, this room is like locked, it's reserved for the rational response squad. And then guess who shows up.. VenomFangX, like no way..."[/i] - Uzi
cstdenis
Evil Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the early problems sound like it was overheating or something. If you had bothered to get that fixed maybe your windows wouldn't be broken now.

Just reinstall windows to fix it. You don't need to buy a new copy, just install off the cd that came with your computer.
__
Still very bored

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Former Computer Tech here...

-> put your hard drive in other pc
-> see if you can save something
-> scandisk on complete/repair/scan surface (or any similar program)
-> Install Windows XP or better get Windows XP *Unatended Edition* from the internets
-> FORMAT COMPLETE/SLOW NTFS
-> ????
-> Profit

if the disk does a series of little noticeable ticks on startup or while running, it's fucked up, get a new one

*EDIT*: disable from your bios: S.M.A.R.T. <- it's known for killing hardisks
cstdenis
Evil Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Source for SMARTT killing HD's please.
__
Still very bored

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="cstdenis"]Source for SMARTT killing HD's please.[/quote]

math i summon you.

(this is of my knowledge of smart technology 2, there is a now 3, so i know shit about it)

hardisk have a X amount of disk operations life, while it last for years, this is existent number(am i explaining myself?), now, when smart is on, the hardrive do a series of comprobations *FOR EACH* data operation you do in the hard drive, while this helps prevent 30% of errors also they count as hardisk operations and (in the best of cases) reduce the life of the disk in X/2 the normal life it has.

now, while is the user choice of what they prefer, 30% protection or half the util life of the hard drive, when we are talking about a disk that [b]already presented errors[/b], letting smart on will most likely terminate it.

now, sauces: wikipedia, chilehardware, linux journals, and experience
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Computer Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: