Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Old School Or New?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Other interests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chibiprincess
Still very bored

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this thing is obviously bout rock...do u like old school or new...you can like both but u have to like one a lil better so common and spill ^^

i like new adn old but i like new a lil better but old school rock is awesome!
fallenangel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's the cutoff date for new vs old?

I like 70s and 80s shit. Some bands that carried on till around '92 or '93, but they were still from the 80s glam scene. Lots of 'em still around, but I mean they were in their prime then.

New rock (anything after Nirvana) I think is utter crap. Worthless. Insult to rock. But that's just my opinion, of course. Razz
Sirius
Very bored

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't velvet revolver rock ?
fallenangel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but they sound like a mix of Guns n' Roses and STP, which are not "new". They have a much more "old school" sound. I'm talking about the new bands...of new musicians. 'Cause I like Samantha 7, too (2000), but that was C.C. DeVille and had a very 80s punk-pop sound to it. As well as many many many albums released by old artists throughout the 90s n' 00s.
chux

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally I prefer new stuff, like the past 10 years-ish...
I can listen to old music, its good but for some reason I just like newer things...
ragingflea002
Oldbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have more C.Ds by bands who were formed before Nirvana than those who were formed after. Rage Against the Machine, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Nirvana(of course), Guns N' Roses(only a burned "Greatest" Hits album. Damn), and tons of cassettes by Jimi Hendrix, Clapton, Aerosmith, and Alice Cooper(my uncle was a big rock fan Cool ).
The newest album by a new artist I got was Audioslave, and Audioslave is formed by Soundgarden vocalist Chris Cornell(Soundgarden was the first grunge band in Seattle. Nirvana stole their publicity, though Cool ) and Bassist Tim Commerford, Guitarist Tom Morello, and Drummer Brad Wilk, all formerly of Rage Against the Machine.
I don't like today's modern "punk" and my band will never adopt that image of spiked hair and "f**k you, I hate you" attitude. We're grunge, so we tend to make fun of ourselves. Listen to Nirvana to get the best idea of grunge(We aren't posers of Nirvana, we're just very influenced)
Not too many new metal bands, but Metallica has really lost it. "St. Anger" was bullshit. What happened?!
The problem is that some "old school" are trying to change to appeal to the newer generation.
And even worse, some think they still look as cool onstage as they did when they just started. Fallen had something to say about that once, but that thread got pushed back.
fallenangel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, you mean like this?

[img]http://img13.photobucket.com/albums/v37/RyansOcelot/axl2002.jpg[/img]

As much as I love Axl and will pick up Chinese Democracy when it comes out (release date: never), well you can see for yourself. He got worse after that (VMAs anyone?) and is getting slightly better, but it's just sad. I'm not saying you have to look like you did when you were 28, just realize for your own sake that you don't and adjust your performance and attitude accordingly.

But even worse are the artists like Bon Jovi. Granted I never liked them to begin with, but they're the ultimate trendwhores. Cut their hair, changed their sound (which on its own would be fine), and now try to deny what they were or at least pretend it was all an act. "This Left Feel Right"? Rerecorded all their hits to [i]not[/i] sound like glam tunes anymore? What the fuck? Not to mention all the remakes sucked ass. There's nothing wrong with evolving and staying current, but trying to change your past because it's not cool anymore is stupid. <_<

But there are those that look just as cool as they did because they do their thing and don't care if they don't get played on MTV because of it.
ragingflea002
Oldbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, Fallen. That's the one. WTF?

fallenangel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What, you don't like his beer gut and what look to be jogging pants? Razz 'Least that was his real hair then. Shortly before the braids. I've heard most of the Chinese Democracy tracks...meh. They're average at best. I really like Madagascar and would pick up the CD just for a studio track of that, but the rest are...let's just say not worth 7 years of work.

But of the artists that haven't lost what little sanity they had, "old school" is still better. I really hate that term. So relative.
ragingflea002
Oldbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't say I do, Fallen, but their songs are kick ass. That's all that matters to me.

The only thing I don't like about old school is how tinny the drums can sound. I'm not sure if you know what I'm talking about. They just don't sound the same. For a good example of what I mean, listen to Bruce Springsteen's "Born in the U.S.A".

fallenangel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"To get your playing more forceful, hit the drums harder." - Keith Moon. One of my favorite quotes. Razz

I know what ya mean. Depends on the group, I suppose. It fits some and could do with "fuller" sound on others.
ChrisFox
Has No Life

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything that's popular [i]now[/i] sucks. Things that were popular in the past and things that will be popular in the future [i]rock[/i].
fallenangel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, now there's a boy ahead of his time! He's so hip, he's a fan of bands whose members haven't even been born yet. Beat that, ya little mallrat babies. Cool
ChrisFox
Has No Life

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha I was thinking more along the lines of independant bands that hardly anyone has heard of, but that works, too.
fallenangel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, they don't count because as soon as everyone knows about them, ten groups will copy them, then they'll be forgotten as the originals and lumped in with the over-saturated clones, and all will be wrong with the universe.
ChrisFox
Has No Life

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cool people wont forget them.
fallenangel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But then why does anyone but the cool people need to know about them? Cool
ChrisFox
Has No Life

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Cause maybe some of the cool people havent heard 'em yet.
fallenangel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then surely they're just not cool enough. Razz
ChrisFox
Has No Life

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lest there be no means of exposure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Other interests All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: