Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Haku's (Naruto) gender

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Anime & Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Boy or Girl
Boy
87%
 87%  [ 7 ]
Girl
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No clue
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 8

Necroangel

Location: The leaf village, spying on Kiba and Shino making out, with much nosebleed

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:50 am    Post subject: Haku's (Naruto) gender Reply with quote

Ok...I've read quite a debate on whether Haku from the Naruto series is male or female, it confuses the hell outta me, let me tell you that...
Ok, this is my opinion on it.

I think that the creator of Naruto, which is basical a shonen show, wanted to attaract an equil amount of female fans to this series. An easy way to do that was to create a 'romance' within the show, not one too major though or he might risk the majority of viewers (the shonen) to back away from it. Now, this is just what I think but personaly, as a female, shonen-ai is much loved. Especialy when it comes from a type of series you're not likely to find it in.

Great idea, but it does pose problems, male watchers of the show be made extremmly uncomfortable if they had to watch two obviously male charaters in a romantic setting.
How do you solve this, you ask? Well simplely make one of the males in the pairing so utterly womanly people would confuse his gender. Boys watching the series and picking up on the romance would take a charater such as Haku to be female, thus avoiding awcardness and distaste.

The creator of Naruto was extremmly wise, not only did he make Haku to be utterly female in appearance, but female in every aspect aside from his address. You get 'bishi' charaters, those are extremmly popular and in just about every anime I've seen so far. But most, are usally not voiced by a female voice actor or act in such a feminine manner as our Haku-kun.

Everything about Haku is female, his dress, his voice, his emotions, actions ect. And has been mistaken for a female many times. Ah but this is where I really get confused, surely Zabuza would want to produce more powerful advanced bloodline limit ninja's to be at his command? If Haku was indeed female then Zabuza would undoubtedly want to bare a powerful advanced bloodlined child with her.

As a female and advid "Fujoshi" (Female interested in yaoi and such) I would want to think of Haku as a male, thus making the pairing 'shonen ai'. Typical shonen ai and yaoi have two types of males involved in the romance, the 'seme'(more masculine male in pairing) and the 'uke'(the bishonen, or pretty boy). The thing here was to make the 'uke' as feminine as possible, making the Haku-Zabu thing seem like a 'normal' hetrosexual romantic interest.

Haku obvoiously has a deep affiction and love for Zabuza, you'd have to be daft to not noticed it. Haku's attraction to Zabuza is shown thoughout the anime and manga, with the famous following sceane:

Haku has just rescued Zabuza from the fight with Kakashi, Zabuza asks why Haku did not focus on a less leathal part of his body than his neck, Haku is quoted saying, "I did not want to scar your beautiful/perfect/flawless body, Zabuza-san." Haku said this while blushing. Zabuza added that Haku's pureness and utter innocence was what he "liked about" him, Haku responded with an even deeper blush, stating that as a child that was to be expected of him. While this love appears to be one sided, Zabuza's crying and pouring out of feelings after Haku died states otherwise.

Much to the female fan's disapointment,both Haku and Zabuza died without anything happening between them. However that confermation of their feelings for one another left us with some sort of satisfiment. Haku's gender remains a mistery to me, as both sides offer evidence to Haku being a male or female, I think the fans of Naruto were sappost to come up with a desion that made them feel the most comfortable. Let me know what you think.
London

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never knew there was a controversy regarding Haku's gender. Haku is male. He said so. Why would he lie?

A lot of male characters are voiced by women, such as Goku from Dragonball and Luffy from One Piece. Both are very clearly male and come from shounen mangas.
Jedi
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite my loathing for Naruto, Haku is definately a male. I think even Zabuza said it himself, during a flashback. Might have been in the manga. Heh... even I thought he might be female at one point, so don't worry about it. I'm sure loads did when they saw the anime for the first time.

In anime, some male characters are voiced by female actors. This can happen in the English dub side of it too, and it can fool you if you're not too careful.
Necroangel

Location: The leaf village, spying on Kiba and Shino making out, with much nosebleed

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've only been watching anime in Japanese recently so Embarassed it's easy for me to mistake that Embarassed It's not wrong however, to display Haku as a female in fanart or fanfiction is it? It's only fandom after all, right? Embarassed

The issue for me is the shonen ainess of it all Embarassed didn't want to get too excited if Haku was in fact female Embarassed

I personally want to think of Haku as a boy, because he is. However I know people who take him as female to ease their discomfort regarding the undertones Embarassed

Very Happy I'm just phyked being a Fujoshi and all Very Happy Kishi was damn clever in regards of Haku ^_^

K some people might come up with their own ideas on the whole relationship between those two Evil or Very Mad but for me it makes me super happy XD Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
London

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is with this sudden infusion of smiley faces? The more smiles you use, the less seriously people will take you.

I don't see why somebody uncomfortable with homosexual relationships would [i]pretend[/i] that one person was a gender which they were not. They're called undertones for a reason, and if you don't like it, you would just ignore it.

What is a fujoshi, and by "phyked" do you mean "psyched?"
Edward_Elric_1308
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Necroangel"]Well, I've only been watching anime in Japanese recently so Embarassed it's easy for me to mistake that Embarassed It's not wrong however, to display Haku as a female in fanart or fanfiction is it? It's only fandom after all, right? Embarassed

The issue for me is the shonen ainess of it all Embarassed didn't want to get too excited if Haku was in fact female Embarassed

I personally want to think of Haku as a boy, because he is. However I know people who take him as female to ease their discomfort regarding the undertones Embarassed

Very Happy I'm just phyked being a Fujoshi and all Very Happy Kishi was damn clever in regards of Haku ^_^

K some people might come up with their own ideas on the whole relationship between those two Evil or Very Mad but for me it makes me super happy XD Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy[/quote]

Translation, plz?
Brianhjh

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to everyone who is uncomfortable with this:

if you don't want weird undertones in stuff you watch, then stop watching things that's from outside of your shitty town, which leaves you nothing but Jerry Springer.
Fayore

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="London"]What is a fujoshi[/quote]

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fujoshi][u]腐女子。[/u][/url]

I think recently (with younger women) the term isn't as derogatory/depreciative as the wiki article implies.

Anyway, people like that kinda make me ashamed to be interested in BL. :T
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
hakutheblindedsoul
Still very bored

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haku is a boy. He calls himself that. Zabuza calls him a boy. Kakashi refers to him as a male, too ( Kakashi also has advanced senses, so that fact that he didn't notice Haku to be a female means that Haku was not female.) Naruto is voiced by a woman in both the English and Japanese dub. Despite the yaoi undertones, nothing (as you stated) happened.

End. Of. Story.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/Nefika/Mai%20HiME%20Otome/shizuru2.gif[/img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/Nefika/Mai%20HiME%20Otome/NatsukiShizuru.gif[/img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/Nefika/Mai%20HiME%20Otome/thMyu.gif[/img]
Ick1
Very bored

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDK! He's a boy in the manga and a girl in the anime...

[size=24]SO CONFUSING!!![/size] Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
hakutheblindedsoul
Still very bored

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Ick1"]IDK! He's a boy in the manga and a girl in the anime...

[size=24]SO CONFUSING!!![/size] Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation[/quote]

Not exactly. In both the manga [i]and[/i] anime, he stated to Naruto that he was, indeed, a boy. Zabuza also referred to him as such.

Why is this a topic of discussion, again? There really isn't (and shouldn't) be any confusion about it...
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/Nefika/Mai%20HiME%20Otome/shizuru2.gif[/img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/Nefika/Mai%20HiME%20Otome/NatsukiShizuru.gif[/img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/Nefika/Mai%20HiME%20Otome/thMyu.gif[/img]
Ick1
Very bored

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="hakutheblindedsoul"][quote="Ick1"]IDK! He's a boy in the manga and a girl in the anime...

[size=24]SO CONFUSING!!![/size] Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation[/quote]

Not exactly. In both the manga [i]and[/i] anime, he stated to Naruto that he was, indeed, a boy. Zabuza also referred to him as such.

Why is this a topic of discussion, again? There really isn't (and shouldn't) be any confusion about it...[/quote]

I know. I told my sis that I posted this and she said the same thing that you did... my bad! Embarassed
"You sure don't need an amplifier." Soda said, and stuck his tongue out at the back of Darry's head. I stifled a giggle. If you want to see something funny, It's a tough hood sticking his tongue out at his big brother.

-S.E. Hinton
The Outsiders
hakutheblindedsoul
Still very bored

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Ick1"]

I know. I told my sis that I posted this and she said the same thing that you did... my bad! Embarassed[/quote]

No prob! Everyone does something like that every once in a while...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Anime & Manga All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: