Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Category Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> FAC Site Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AznTigress
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:47 am    Post subject: Category Question Reply with quote

I've been browsing the site for a bit and I've noticed that the categories aren't very... comprehensive. Like each category is actually a separate gallery instead of an actual subcategory (i.e. if you were to view, say, Final Fantasy series, instead of seeing every Final Fantasy series housed under the same roof, it only contains art that doesn't get categorized into the other subcategories). Am I making any sense? Confused

I just want to know if there's a way to browse all the subcategories of a certain category without having to look into each individual category. 'Cause having to browse through each subcategory in order to get the full range of the general/parent category is kind of cumbersome. Maybe you could do something like [url=http://www.fanfiction.net/]Fanfiction.net[/url]'s categorization system for browsing.
Stratadrake
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FAC has, in fact, always been like this; it's mostly due to the difficulty of making an efficient database query to automatically include the subcategories in the browse view.

There are also redirects to consider. For example, if you're browsing Anime/Manga, it wouldn't include pictures submitted to [i]Avatar The Last Airbender[/i] (that's actually located in Cartoons, the entry in Anime/Manga is just a redirect). Is that acceptable?

Alternately, it could be made to include redirects but then it could only include the redirects themselves and not any of its subcategories -- i.e. fanart submitted to the Airbender label would show up while browsing Anime/Manga, but anything submitted to Airbender's [i]own[/i] subcategories (which are, technically, still under Cartoons) would not.

Either way I do kinda like the idea and we should think more about implementing it at some point.
Strata here: [url=http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/242293]Nanowrimo[/url] - [url=www.fanart-central.net/user-Stratadrake.php]FAC[/url] - [url=http://stratadrake.deviantart.com]dA[/url] - [url=www.furaffinity.net/user/Stratadrake/]FA[/url]
[size=9]Disclaimer: Posts may contain URLs. Click [url=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TVTropesWillRuinYourLife]at your own risk.[/url][/size]
London

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If including redirects is too much trouble, leaving them out wouldn't be too much of a problem. I think the main issue is browsing, say, the Kingdom Hearts category, but not being able to see the pictures featuring only Sora without clicking on his category. If someone is browsing such a wide range of pictures like Anime/Manga, it's not going to matter to that person whether or not Avatar pictures are included.

I agree it's a good idea. It's kinda weird that this wasn't suggested before. (Or was it suggested and everyone forgot?)
Brianhjh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pics from avatar would be a drop in the water.

But who wants to look at over 4 million (citation needed) pics in the anime/manga category anyway.
Stratadrake
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Making this an option that site staff could toggle on/off on a per category basis is also an idea.
Strata here: [url=http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/242293]Nanowrimo[/url] - [url=www.fanart-central.net/user-Stratadrake.php]FAC[/url] - [url=http://stratadrake.deviantart.com]dA[/url] - [url=www.furaffinity.net/user/Stratadrake/]FA[/url]
[size=9]Disclaimer: Posts may contain URLs. Click [url=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TVTropesWillRuinYourLife]at your own risk.[/url][/size]
AznTigress
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I just thought it was weird when I saw that the Publishers category says 0 when there were 7 publishers as subcategories. :\ Took me a while to realize that the number refers to the amount of artworks in that category, not the amount of subcategories. It's kind of misleading for someone who's new to the site.

Maybe have some sort of explanation on the Categories page so newcomers won't be so confused?
[quote="Stratadrake"]There are also redirects to consider. For example, if you're browsing Anime/Manga, it wouldn't include pictures submitted to [i]Avatar The Last Airbender[/i] (that's actually located in Cartoons, the entry in Anime/Manga is just a redirect). Is that acceptable?[/quote]
Of course it would be. If I'm looking for Anime/Manga fanart, I'm not going to be too concerned with Cartoon fanart or any other fanart.
[quote="London"]If including redirects is too much trouble, leaving them out wouldn't be too much of a problem. I think the main issue is browsing, say, the Kingdom Hearts category, but not being able to see the pictures featuring only Sora without clicking on his category. If someone is browsing such a wide range of pictures like Anime/Manga, it's not going to matter to that person whether or not Avatar pictures are included.[/quote]
I agree. In fact, if someone wanted to look for a specific kind of fanart, then that's what the search bar should be for. The categories shouldn't be a substitute for a search bar.

I think this site would really benefit from mimicking Fanfiction.net's way of categorizing works. How it works is that you have the very general categories (Anime/Manga, Books, Cartoons, Comics, Games, Misc, Movies, Plays/Musicals, Television) and then those categories are subdivided into the titles available in those categories (i.e. Movies > Disney). And then you can have members specify on the artwork itself which version of a work the fanart is made for (i.e. if someone made a Disney Alice in Wonderland fanart, the artist could choose from a drop-down menu on the submission page whether it was from the animated Alice in Wonderland (1951) or the new live-action Alice in Wonderland (2010)).

Just throwing it out there.
cstdenis
Evil Overlord

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Stratadrake"]Either way I do kinda like the idea and we should think more about implementing it at some point.[/quote]

This was the original intended design for FAC 2.0, and how it is done on AVC. But it never ended up making it here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> FAC Site Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: