Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Quality Control
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Papercut_Dragon
Would like fries with that

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sketchbooks, which have blank, white paper, are way better quality than normal lined paper notebooks. Sure, theyre a little more expensive, but isnt your art worth it? And yaaaaay for less pictures being submitted. Razz

Heh, I havent been to a dollar store in a long time.... do they have sketchbooks there?
KeywielderofHollowBastion
Newb

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diathene (Naomi) i can't afford paint shop, can i download it somewhere?
Papercut_Dragon (Sunny) they aren't there. i looked. and besides, the paper doesnt erase well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DG-sama

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's always best to invest in a good sketch book if you're serios about art. You can do a lot more in a sketchbook then you can on lined paper. Pencil doesn't tend to smudge as much and it's easier to nice even tones. When you color using something like color pencils or pastels, it tends to look grainy and lumpy on lined paper because it's lower quality and the color of the lines will affect the color that you have placed on the paper.

And as to people who complain about good quality supplies being too expensive there's a reason they're more expensive. Take inking supplies - I used to use Sharpie ultrafine point markers to do my inking.. they cost about $1.50 a piece and last me about two weeks. Nowadays I use micron pens. Sure they cost on average $3.45 but the lines are much smoother and they last a lot longer as well... I can usually have one and not need to replace it for three months. Micron pens are also fade proof, smudge proof, and water proof where as sharpies are not.

This is true for pretty much any art supplie. Things may cost more but that will usually mean it also has much better quality and will last longer as well. Why bother with getting the cheaper supplies when you'll have to replace them more often then the expensive ones?

God damn you signature WORK!
Papercut_Dragon
Would like fries with that

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a kneaded eraser and that stubborn white paper that doesnt erase well will suddenly, well, erase well. Smile
DG-sama

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soft white rubber erasers work nicely as well

fallenangel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<_< You know what, people? The site is called FANART Central. Let's think about this for a moment. Were the rules not incredibly relaxed already, half of you would have your asses kicked out the door for drawing original art. And yet we let y'all stay because some people draw incredible art and are very involved and helpful with the site (leaving good comments, etc.). We don't [i]want[/i] to tell anyone they can't participate on this site, but some guidelines have to be set. First it was the upload limit, and now some quality controls. Just be grateful we're not turning into frickin' Epilogue. Why don't you take your doodles, even on plain paper, and try to get them accepted there, hm?

As for lined paper...

1. Plain white paper is extremely easy to get, that is...if you try. Actually try and make an effort instead of just glancing around and saying "well, there's none here, so I'll just use notebook paper".
2. If you're going to school...grab some plain paper out of a printer. It won't kill the school to lose a few pieces. Ask an art department teacher if they can spare some.
3. Spiral notebooks...sketchbooks...hmmm which is better. Ever heard of these things called staples? They're those little metal things that [b]hold paper together.[/b]
4. Actual white paper erases just as fine as notebook paper. Drawing paper erases best, but printer paper is about the same quality as notebook paper (only not quite as thin). Splurge a quarter and get a good eraser.

But if reasonable rules are sooo horrible to you, buh bye. Take your lined paper-drawing ass right on over somewhere else. Most of the bigger sites outright suck and are nowhere near the level of this site. You think anyone will have [i]anything[/i] nice to say about a lined paper doodle on one of those sites? Think again, because 99.9% of the time you'll be flooded with "this sucks!!!". But go right ahead, someone as unreasonable as yourself... you won't be missed.
iamem0tionless
How can I get a custom title thing?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a sketch book, which I definately prefer to use over my notebook for drawing. The only time I use my notebook is to doodle in class. Most of the time, I don't post those. I stick with the drawings in my sketch books which I actually spend some time on. I'd be fine with the no lined paper rule because it seems to me, most people who post drawings on lined paper have really crappy ones (I had some, too, that I deleted.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Diathene
Very bored

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="KeywielderofHollowBastion (Sakur"] Diathene (Naomi) i can't afford paint shop, can i download it somewhere? [/quote]
You can download a trial version here. The earlier versions are probably cheaper or even free. I've not the inclination to search around for them right now.

If you can't afford plain paper, it might be an idea to let all your relatives know that you're serious about drawing. I guarantee you'll get at least some paper and art supplies every birthday/Christmas Wink
layzcarter
I used to work here

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's an idea.. next time your mom gives you candy money or something.. save it... $4 will get you a stack of printer paper.
DG-sama

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$4 can also get you a pretty decent sketchbook if you watch the sale ads

Raymei
Oldbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dang girl, you just want it your way or nothing, huh?

Well, I for one would be fine with you going to Media Miner. They'll eat you alive T_T
If you're too cheap to gather quarters or pennies for alittle bit for a HUGE stack of white paper (or do you use 100 pieces of "drawing" paper per day? ) then I doubt your dedication to...."your art"
It seriously does not cost as much as you claim. We know. We buy it. We actually see the prices.
If anything...do you have a printer? ask your dad or whatever if you can borrow/have like 3 pieces of paper.

This seriously is not as hard as you're making it on yourself. Or are you one of those "Roadblock? Oh I'll just give up then instead of looking for a solution" people?

Cuz people have tossed out like 5 suggestions at least and you just come up with "buts"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Newb

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry. I just........am not a good artist. and I just use lined beucase it helps me draw.
Newb

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my dad has a huge box of paper, but I dont like to take it. I cant draw for crap adn i end up throwing it away. i just waste it. thats why I dont use it or buy it. my notebook has the lines and I can draw shoulders and hands better, because I can follow the lines.
Newb

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and i still cant draw those..........oh forget it. I just won't submit anyhitng. its not worthy. the better artists diserve the space. the ones that can draw. not me "quick skecthes" that's how i feel about my work. and I work really hard! its takes my like an hour to do a good picture! I'm never satisfied because everyone does a better job what me! thats why I never submit anything. I have lots of mini-comic in my notebook, and it never works when i tansfer them to white. it coems out worse.
Newb

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Diathene (Naomi)"] [quote="KeywielderofHollowBastion (Sakur"] Diathene (Naomi) i can't afford paint shop, can i download it somewhere? [/quote]
You can download a trial version here. The earlier versions are probably cheaper or even free. I've not the inclination to search around for them right now.

If you can't afford plain paper, it might be an idea to let all your relatives know that you're serious about drawing. I guarantee you'll get at least some paper and art supplies every birthday/Christmas Wink [/quote]
thanks! I;m gunna try it. but knowing me, it won't work or turn out right!
Lasher
I used to work here

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, here goes my ranting of a bitch day.

If your going to throw a hissy fit over lined paper being put under our new (and i say new as no quality control ever existed here before, not just as one simple new rule) quality control, then you seriously need to sit your ass down, and start thinking before you start making any kind of argument around here. Others, i can garantee you'll just make a plain ass out of yourself, and your argument won' have anything in it worth being taken seriously.

I go to school everday, 5 days a week out of 7. I also have a job with two different bosses doing two different kinds of work. And you know what, even with those jobs that are pretty decent paying, i still don't have s**t of no money. And no, i never ask for money from my parents, so don't pull that "I don't want to bother my parents for plain paper" line. Hell, i haven't gone to my mom, stepdad, or dad! for a freakin pair of jeans for ohhh,i don't know, 4 or 5 years now.

But i make it a point, that if i'm proud of myself enough of any of my artwork to show it off, i'd better be proud and respectful enough to myself, and my viewers, to make it look nice. I'm not saying you shouldn't be proud of any of your work. But if you have any pride in it and want other people to look at it seriously, then you might want to think about simply putting it on plain paper 1) in the first place 2) later when you can before putting it on the world wide internet for thousands of people to see.

You end up looking sloppy, lazy, and just plain cheap let alone like you don't give a damn about how your work looks.

And sweetie, i don't care what you say, but three periods is not that much time when your talking about doing a drawing in school, during the duration of three periods. One hour on a drawing is not even that long. Certainly three periods isn't, unless you did absolutely no work, unenterupted and to yourself during the whole time of those three periods. Most places, a period is not longer than 45 minutes on average. Now take a few minutes here and there inbetween your work, teacher talking, getting things for the class, and put it all together, that isn't hardly any time to do a drawing.

And to transfer a drawing onto a piece of plain white paper, is not as hard as your making it out to be. As i said before and i will say so again, it's not chinese alegbra. And comparing transfering a drawing from lined paper to plain as making a 9 year old do alegbra is just plain stupid and ignorant. So get over that, that was a stupid thing to compare it to so get over it dearest. We all have better things to do than read such stupid things.

Personally, i think your just whinning little girl who has yet to grow up and mature a little. Maybe you and some others see that as a harsh statement but the way i see it as reality and hopefully to some of you, a wake up call that is well needed. If you make such petty arguments over such small things as this with such amazing pathetic ways of comparing things to it, in real life, with real issues, you'll be shot done in a second, and trampled over like an insect.

Lined paper is a pest, it completely drastics the attention of the viewer from the actually drawing to the damn lines for god's sake. Why can't you understand this? It is by far not hard to trasnfer a god damn drawing. And if there's shading involved, oh well, try at it, see it as a way to practice, correct something you saw you did wrong and make it look better. No one ever told you or any of your damn little friends you had to take hte original, copy it to a new piece of PLAIN paper, and then take the lined version, crumple it up and toss it in the trash. No, keep it somewhere safe and post the newer, cleaner looking version and stopping whinning like a little brat.

There are more trivial and complicated things to complain about in life than a damned piece of line paper and simply putting the so called "piece of art" a descent sheet of plain paper.

Get over yourself little girl, your not the center of the world. I as well as the other members of this FAC made or valid points, and no one challenged, no one disagreed, not one single little bird cried foul play. No, but you know what they did say? They all said they freakin agreed whole heartidly and not one single person said otherwise. We all agreed on it in here, and everyone on FAC, EVERYONE OF YOU! had your god damn chance to come in her and debate this with us, like adults may i say with some brains involved, and you know what, no one did.

This forum is not here just for a small group of us. It's not our fault some people don't click on the forum option on the main page, check in and see what's going on, annoucements, decisions, no, we didn't keep this a closed subject. Grr! We talked about it openly as a community, and those who took the god damn time to drag their asses in here, made their point, agreed, thought it was a good, and even great idea. And some even begged for it.

I didn't spend my god damn time bugging Denis day and night about you freakin inmature little brats, submitting your god damn lined art, your little "doodles" you all did in class and *in a sarcastic voice) worked so hard on! work to flood the damn site, take up much needed and appreciated room on the server. To push the good and hard worked on art down the list in a minute flat.

I've been pressing this issue for awhile, the whole quality control in general, asking questions, being annoying as a freakin bee buzzing in your god damn ear. I made suggestions, i asked others opinions, i debated about it and talked about it with anyone willing to listen to me and talk. And for a small handful of you little self centered brats who only seem to think about your small fraction of kind, who so painfully love their lined paper and think it's so unfair doing this to you, well, as far as i care. You can kiss my ass and cry all you want. Because in the end, majority over rules, common since is greatly loved here, and guess what people, a lot believe it or not, whether you hear us, see us, or not, have it. And a brain to much with some maturity *gasp*

The FAC staff work their f**king asses off Grr! to keep this place up and going. Denis is pulling money out of his own damn pocket to keep this place up for what, little selfish kids like you, and yes, i know your 15 but that doesn't mean s**t. Age has nothing to do for the most part of a person way of thoughts and thinkings.

Whether you believe it or not, our actions and decisions here on FAC by the FAC staff, are in the best interest of you and the other users here. Not for our own simple pleasure. Everyone of us are artist or where at some point, or have a love for the art and we understand everthing perfectly fine so don't ever think about lecturing us about that.

Kate, Fallen, Liyan, Chris, Ray, Carter, everyone of them (we have some new ones too who i haven't mentioned) are artist who put their time, sweat and blood (so to speak) into their own work. Take a look at their damn s**t. I believe Fallen for one, puts somewhere between 4-6 hours on average into her drawings, which are amazing if you ask me and some of the best realistic you'll ever see. And you know what, she's 15, so shut it, and stop complaining.

:angry: I do not spend my own time on here, appriving your god damn drawings, your paintings, etc etc, and cleaning out the categories that half of you fucked up anyhow, and are still doing so by not even taking 5 seconds to put things in the right categories first of all, for some kid to come in here and try chewing me, or any of my collegues out for being unfair and not understanding blah blah blah...

That's the biggest piece of bullshit i have ever heard, and like i said, i don't give a s**t.

P.S. Look at the others, Like Sunny for one, they even agree. By the way, i just bought a new sketch book for 5 dollars, and those take forever to fill up as long as you put real time and effort into the stuff you put into them. (it was on sale by the way 50% off) It's a matter of paying attention, and saving your pennies up, literally.

By the way Sakur, if you keep submitting 3 or 4 post in a row like that, it's a reason for a suspension from the boards. There's a little button in the corner of your post once it's added, that says edit, use it unless someone posted something after yours, otherwise it just floods the boards <_<
Raymei
Oldbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw, Lasher, you know I'm not gonna read all[i][b] that[/b][/i]

lol
Also, "Sakura", you need to learn to use the "edit" button. This multiple posting in a row gets a little irritating.
As for afraid of wasting it...well then don't give up. Anything you finish isn't a waste, but throwing it away is pointless.
And you could make the lines to line up the shoulders and stuff by yourself. You don't want to become dependent on the already there lines.

especially if you plan to do anything somewhat professional (or simply respectable) with your art.
Binder paper is probably the worst impression you could make on anyone.
Most people won't look at the picture if they see binder paper. They just assume you're lazy and that your art will reflect stuff.

Why do you think so many people complain about Bp?
Newb

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fine. thats it. thats it. I really don't care anymore. call me immature fine. I';m damn proud and happy. I'm sorry, okay?! i give up! I'm not going to post here anymore. will this make everyone happy? I hope so. I hope this will amke your day better, cuz it did make mine. I got the paintshop trial. I'll try it out. thanks to who posted it! all I was trying to do was make a comment on how a lot of ppl use lines to help them draw. well I'm wrong. youre right.

Lasher: sorry if I screwed up you day, i tend to do that not even thinking ;_;

sorry bout the posts. I dun use boards well. sorry about that too.
~~KWOHB
Lasher
I used to work here

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't apoligize, you didn't ruin my day, it was quite good actually, that doesn't mean i can't spend 10 minutes of it annoyed though

And you don't have to leave or quit posting, just think a little. We already know alot of people us lin to help them, but htere are others ways, and it doens't mean we have to accept it.

Here's a post i accidentally, in a daze, put in the mod section, under chat rules...ya i know, a blonde moment okay. but it was a good example i had so i'm posting it here, so here it is.

-----------------------------------

LOOK! LOOK AT WHAT I FOUND!
http://www.fanart-central.net/pictures.php?pid=62050
A perfect example that kids CAN use freakin plain paper to draw on when bored and in class. either that or just come home and transfer it once again.
(just approved it) Yeah, off to work we go again
DaBear
Site Helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree totally! Every scool has a copier and they would rather have you doing something constructive like "art" then whatever trouble you can think of. $5 bucks and you can have a pack of 500 sheets....mom and dad can scratch that up. God Id give up that pack of smokes if my son wanted to draw on something that didnt have lines...he dose that too. It drives me crazy cleaning his f*ck*n pictures up.

I like what was said...if you care about your art youll do it right.
you go Lasher!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11

Jump to: